About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:38:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Happy New Year - and thank the Egyptians and the Canaanites for Beer

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy New Year - and thank the Egyptians and the Canaanites for Beer  (Read 1127 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: December 31, 2015, 08:39:24 pm »

Hi All

I wish  you  all a  very  Happy  New  Year !

And  as  for beer  -  blame  it  on  the Cannanites  -   or maybe the  ancient  Egyptians  !

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hic !

Cheers

Peter

Archaeologists conducting a salvage excavation in downtown Tel Aviv, Israel, have discovered ancient Egyptian beer vessels, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) recently announced.
The excavation, led by Diego Barkan of the IAA, revealed 17 Early Bronze Age I (c. 3500–3100 B.C.E.) pits, in which were found hundreds of sherds from locally produced pots as well as fragments of large ceramic basins used to prepare beer. These beer vessels were made with straw temper and organic material—a method of manufacture not common in the local production of pottery, but consistent with Egyptian custom. The IAA reports that the beer vessels are similar to those found in an Egyptian administrative building in ‘En Besor in the Negev desert.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:32:25 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:19:59 pm »

Cheers. I'll drink to that!
But why BLAME anyone?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:28:26 pm »

Happy New Year to all !

Not doing a lot to celebrate except to fire a little ammo off at midnight..

It was a beautiful New Years Eve day here at the house in the Pacific Northwest .. !

* 005.JPG (603.6 KB, 990x819 - viewed 14 times.)

* 006.JPG (868.29 KB, 1086x1346 - viewed 14 times.)

* 008.JPG (591.4 KB, 1135x789 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »

Hi Tom,  Joey,  All

I  meant  "blame"  in a   figurative  -  positive -   sense     Cheesy

It's  like   what a  friend  once  replied  when  I mildly  accused  him in jest because he  was  a little drunk after  one too many for  the   road.

He said (in a  broad  Scottish  accent)  "you say that I'm  drunk  as  if  it  was  negative  thing!"

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 01:44:31 am »

A very Happy 2016 to all of you near and far ....
😀😀😀😀😀
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 04:57:26 am »

Dear Peter,

Can't 'blame' it on us!
  Weren't no Jews around before 1850 BCE!   Wink   Grin Roll Eyes

Best to all for 2016!
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Hi All

I wish  you  all a  very  Happy  New  Year !

And  as  for beer  -  blame  it  on  the  Jews  -   or maybe the  ancient  Egyptians  !

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hic !

Cheers

Peter

Archaeologists conducting a salvage excavation in downtown Tel Aviv, Israel, have discovered ancient Egyptian beer vessels, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) recently announced.
The excavation, led by Diego Barkan of the IAA, revealed 17 Early Bronze Age I (c. 3500–3100 B.C.E.) pits, in which were found hundreds of sherds from locally produced pots as well as fragments of large ceramic basins used to prepare beer. These beer vessels were made with straw temper and organic material—a method of manufacture not common in the local production of pottery, but consistent with Egyptian custom. The IAA reports that the beer vessels are similar to those found in an Egyptian administrative building in ‘En Besor in the Negev desert.

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

RW

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 07:40:32 am »

Hello everyone. Have a Great New Year! And, best of luck to each on your searches for new additions to your collection

Beautiful photos George, am missing the winter here on the East Coast, but some of that may be heading our way soon:)

Best,
  Kevin
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 08:08:29 am »

Hi  Joey

OK...  well  Israelites  !

All the  best  for  the  New  Year

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 08:49:07 am »

Peter,  PLEASE get your Biblical history clear!

NO JEWS, NO ISRAELITES, NO-ONE BEFORE ABRAHAM, WHO LIVED CA. 1850 BCE!
You are talking 1200 years earlier. We are proud to be 3,850 years old as a Nation; but we are not 5,100 years old as a Nation. Sorry.  Roll Eyes   Cheesy

By the way, we ARE 3,850 years old as a nation, and the Chinese are 'only' 3,500 years old as a nation; that's why we were called 'Wandering' Jews: We were looking for Chinese restaurants for 300 years!   Wink Grin

Best to all,
Shabbat Shalom from cold, rainy Jerusalem Israel, our capital for 3,000+ years (on and off),
Joey

Hi  Joey

OK...  well  Israelites  !

All the  best  for  the  New  Year

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 08:56:47 am »

Hi  Joey

I  stand  (humbly)  corrected !

So let's  "blame  the   Egyptians  for  the  early  beer  brewing  in the land  of  Israel ! *

Cheers

Peter

* You   say  'blame'   and  'beer'   as  if it's   a  negative  thing !

PS :  I  just finished  reading  the  most  amazing  book:  "T. Rex  and  the  Crater  of  Doom"  by    Walter  Alvarez.    The  subject  matter  is  something  I have  followed  in detail  for  the  past  20 -odd  years : the  great  "KT  extinction"  about  65  million  years  ago   due  to a  Mount  Everest - sized  meteor  which  hit the  gulf  of  Mexico.  Had it  not  been  for that  passing meteor our whole  earth  would  still be   run  by  clod-hopping  dinosaurs (or  whatever  they  evolved  into  -  even  bigger  T  Rexes ? )
And there  would  certainly  be  no  humans  and  CERTAINLY  no   snuff bottles   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:09:45 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 02:23:44 pm »

Dear Peter,
    You'll stand even more humbly corrected, when I remind you it was NOT the land of Israel then; it was Canaan.

Calling it the land of Israel over 1250 years before Jacob was renamed 'Israel' by G-D, is as anachronistic as if I were to write a history about 'The Peoples' Republic of China in the 16th C.'! 
Roll Eyes   Grin

And I see no cause to 'blame' anyone for beer production. Thank G-D for beer production thousands of years ago - they had no clean water, and beer was a healthy, easy to produce option. It is over 5,000 years old,  and while not as old as wine (earliest production found is over 8,000 years ago in Georgia, and 7,000 years ago was in Iran, beer and bread enabled early people to store food and energy and develop more advanced civilizations.

I'm going to get the book you recommended; the book I got the above from is called, "A History of the World in 6 Glasses".

Best Wishes to all,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Hi  Joey

I  stand  (humbly)  corrected !

So let's  "blame  the   Egyptians  for  the  early  beer  brewing  in the land  of  Israel ! *

Cheers

Peter

* You   say  'blame'   and  'beer'   as  if it's   a  negative  thing !

PS :  I  just finished  reading  the  most  amazing  book:  "T. Rex  and  the  Crater  of  Doom"  by    Walter  Alvarez.    The  subject  matter  is  something  I have  followed  in detail  for  the  past  20 -odd  years : the  great  "KT  extinction"  about  65  million  years  ago   due  to a  Mount  Everest - sized  meteor  which  hit the  gulf  of  Mexico.  Had it  not  been  for that  passing meteor our whole  earth  would  still be   run  by  clod-hopping  dinosaurs (or  whatever  they  evolved  into  -  even  bigger  T  Rexes ? )
And there  would  certainly  be  no  humans  and  CERTAINLY  no   snuff bottles   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: