About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:38:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Carved Emerald Green Glass With Chi Dragon Decorations

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carved Emerald Green Glass With Chi Dragon Decorations  (Read 1082 times)
RW

« on: December 27, 2015, 05:22:36 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I pulled this one and a few other glass bottles from my collection to study, and decided to post it for your comments or commentary. Thanks for looking!
 Hand carved emerald green glass, of flattened sloping shouldered form, with a chi dragon on  each side the tails of which form the footrim, flat lip with wide mouth, lightly beveled edge around the neck,  suffused with tiny bubbles.

Condition:  minor chip in the footrim at the curl in one of the tails with an imperfection in the glass at the neck

H: 6.2 cm

Best,

Kevin

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:02:45 am by RW » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 07:29:45 pm »

My goodness... What a beautiful bottle Kevin..

Best guess is someplace between 1800 and 1900.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:53:47 am »

Really nice bottle dear Kevin! I like the fact that the carving is not over layered, and the clever use of the tails to function as bottle's foot.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 03:16:10 am »

Really a stunning bottle. Love the design and the color too !
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

RW

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 05:43:38 am »

Hi Everyone,

I very much appreciate your posts, many thanks

Best,

Kevin
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:23:43 am »

Nice bottle ..... I have never seen a colour like this

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

RW

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:48:44 am »

Thank you Pin for your post
Maybe transparent green would be a better way to describe the color with a lack thereof as opposed to translucent glass that has lost transparency with the addition of more colorants
Kind regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:23:35 pm by Kevin » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:24:41 am »

Dear Kevin,

A beautiful bottle, and I would date it 1800-1880. I had a number of these at one time, and the tails forming the raised foot rim is classic.  I would describe it as Emerald green glass at the sides, getting lighter and more transparent front and reverse.
     Thank you for posting it.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

RW

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 10:56:50 am »

Dear Joey
 Very glad to see your post. It means a lot coming from an experienced and high end collector like yourself, many thanks
Best,
Kevin
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 06:17:27 pm »

Kevin,

A very nice bottle and I would tend to agree with Joey on the age.  Another observation is that this bottle was likely blown into a mold.  I say this based on the uneven wall thickness I appear to be seeing in and around the base of the bottle's interior.  Also the low relief chilongs do not appear to be carved or ground.  I think I'm seeing some minor surface imperfections and swirling patterns to the glass that would indicate it was formed by pressing the chilong pattern within a mold.

Thanks for sharing this bottle,  Charll
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:18:58 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »

Kevin,

A very nice bottle and I would tend to agree with Joey on the age.  Another observation is that this bottle was likely blown into a mold.  I say this based on the uneven wall thickness I appear to be seeing in and around the base of the bottle's interior.  Also the low relief chilongs do not appear to be carved or ground.  I think I'm seeing some minor surface imperfections and swirling patterns to the glass that would indicate it was formed by pressing the chilong pattern within a mold.

As usual, some great observations Charll, and I see what you mean about each and every one.  Good eye..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:14:42 am »

Dear Charll,

I could not figure out why this bottle did not have the crisp carving of my 18th C. examples!
Thank you, I think you are correct that it is mold-blown. But that is a late technique in China, as far as I know, dating to the last third of the 19th C., at earliest. 

Best,
Joey

Kevin,

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:30:50 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

RW

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 04:44:51 am »

Charll,
   Many thanks for posting your observations. If this helps, I looked very carefully under magnification, better than what my camera could produce in a photo, and found that the interior has varying line patterns, vertical, horizontal and angular with patches of roughness. it may be the roughness that gives the impression of an uneven wall thickness, the tail imperfections in line formations appear to be hand done, and the details in the chi's appear to be even in both form and depth
  I posted some additional photos.

Best,

Kevin

* 101a.jpg (86.73 KB, 285x800 - viewed 40 times.)

* 102a.jpg (139.11 KB, 649x800 - viewed 41 times.)

* 11a.jpg (116.43 KB, 800x432 - viewed 45 times.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:18:17 am by Kevin » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 06:31:11 am »

Dear Kevin,

This is why we need the best quality photos, in order to make a reasoned judgement. Thanks to the latest photos, I can see the quality of the carving, and would go back to a ca.1800-1880 dating.
       The photos were deceiving, and I assumed the visible incised detail was just to cover up its being mold-blown. Now I can see clearly that it is carved.
 Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

RW

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 05:59:38 pm »

Dear Joey, Charll

Many thanks for your efforts here. it was a good learning experience, all around. And, I cant wait for next time w/ better photos to come of new bottles

Best,

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:01:33 pm by Kevin » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: