About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:12:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Transparent Sapphire Blue Glass

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transparent Sapphire Blue Glass  (Read 440 times)
RW

« on: December 13, 2015, 02:55:05 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I just received this bottle yesterday and I thought I would share it here.

Description: transparent sapphire blue glass, with slightly beveled edge around neck and foot rim, many small bubbles with some debris in the mix, slightly concave lip, raised flat oval foot rim, flat slightly recessed foot, glass stopper with metal collar and spoon, each possibly made of silver, very well hollowed.

Under a loop, there are small streaky and wavy lines that run horizontally.

1/1/2016: The presence of horizontal lines with an inner skin that has patches of roughness and wavy lines might indicate the bottle was hand blown then finished on the interior by a lapidary

Condition: no cracks, chips or abrasions -light crizzle to the inner skin

H:  2 1/2"; 6.4 cm

Please add your comments. I would greatly appreciate seeing them, as always many thanks

Kind regards

* 101.jpg (136.1 KB, 800x594 - viewed 39 times.)

* 101a.jpg (112.1 KB, 800x533 - viewed 29 times.)

* 102a.jpg (110.41 KB, 800x533 - viewed 31 times.)

* 10a.jpg (121.97 KB, 592x800 - viewed 17 times.)

* 104.jpg (109.48 KB, 800x533 - viewed 26 times.)

* c.jpg (216.7 KB, 800x533 - viewed 26 times.)

* b.jpg (90.86 KB, 800x386 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:32:10 am by Kevin » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »

Outstanding bottle Kevin !!

My guess is this one was hand blown..

What do you mean by kiln condition ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
RW

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »

George,
Thank you!
 I was reading your posts earlier on the topic started by Niccolo on dating plain glass bottles - great information there, especially for someone like me new to this hobby

the bottle is in it's original condition without any damage to it like abrasions, cracks or chips 

I was able to confirm w/a little research on Wiki that this bottle was hand blown, in part by the presence of an inner skin that matches the outer skin. I have added an excerpt below from Wikipedia on the general description of the technique for those interested.
 "The process of free-blowing involves the blowing of short puffs of air into a molten portion of glass called a '"gather" which has been spooled at one end of the blowpipe. This has the effect of forming an elastic skin on the interior of the glass blob that matches the exterior skin caused by the removal of heat from the furnace. The glassworker can then quickly inflate the molten glass to a coherent blob and work it into a desired shape"

Best,

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:50:12 am by Kevin » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:37:54 am »

Dear Kevin,

It looks like a beautiful bottle. Congratulations,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

RW

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 05:02:26 pm »

Dear Joey,
 Many thanks for your post-
very grateful for having the opinion of an expert like yourself on it- As always w/anything you're willing to share on a bottle of mine, in both the good news and that which we might call the hard facts Smiley

Best,

Kevin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: