About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 12:57:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

AAA Gem Snuff Bottles that are not easy to find - Sharing photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AAA Gem Snuff Bottles that are not easy to find - Sharing photos  (Read 346 times)
guest537
« on: December 19, 2015, 06:54:57 am »

For your viewing pleasure

Boulder Opal
Mawsitsit
Rhodinite
Rhodocrosite
Ocean Jasper
Ruby and Zoisite

* 3010805.jpg (96.17 KB, 549x608 - viewed 36 times.)

* 12010805.jpg (124.65 KB, 588x679 - viewed 34 times.)

* DSCN9490.jpg (588.38 KB, 1779x1503 - viewed 39 times.)

* DSCN0052.JPG (76.75 KB, 494x550 - viewed 28 times.)

* DSCN0998.JPG (37.54 KB, 447x450 - viewed 27 times.)

* DSCN3363.jpg (655.74 KB, 1562x1627 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:25:31 am »

I like the Rhodinite that seems to be carved like a turtle shell.. It is nicely done. The others, with the exception of the mawsitsit are so , so.. Not very good grade materials.  I did buy a mawsitsit bottle from you.. It was lovely !

One thing I noticed on a bottle you sent me pics of via email is that it appears likely one person carved the bulk of the bottle ( the canvas ), and another carver did the cameos. I say that because the lapidary who did the bottle paid extra close attention to details that we look for no matter if old or modern.  Recessed and beveled mouth, along with wonderfully finished foot rims.  All done to perfection.  Then the carver who did the cameo did not do nearly as quality a work in regards to leaving a nice finish.  I think the second carver did not do justice to the overall canvas he was given. Just an observation..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:40:04 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
guest537
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »

It is hard to say. These bottles sat 10 years in China. I only negotiated to get them about 6 months ago. The guy I know may have passed away. In the past 15 years, I have seen their bottles improve, and the price go up 7 - 10 times. The bottles are rare because of the stone. The carving is overall OK. But its not like working with Agate.Agate gives you perfection. Tiffany stone, is hard and soft layered. Not many people can cut it into a bottle without cracking. Jaspers tend to be soft. There is a buyer for every bottle, they will find a home as all my collectibles will I am liquidating. Just a matter of time. Its not about money, I am clearing out the load of stuff I have to keep up with. This includes guitars, old paintings, carvings, and other kinds of collectibles.
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:18:41 am »

Speaking of mawsitsit..  Here is a mis identified bottle that I believe is mawsitsit.  Good grade, just to bad such a nice piece of mawsitsit was carved so poorly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221974192874?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:19 am »

Dear Monkongmee,

In the first illustration, the last bottle looks like Opal, but you've listed first! Any way you can number the materials  1-6, so we know which name fits which photo? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:53 am »

Dear Monkongmee,

In the first illustration, the last bottle looks like Opal, but you've listed first! Any way you can number the materials  1-6, so we know which name fits which photo? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Joey

Actually, it is a lot more fun, and can spend more time on a single bottle in a single topic without the continuity being broken with comments for other bottles in the same thread.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: