About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 08:12:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Amber peach

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber peach  (Read 777 times)
YT
Private Boards

« on: December 16, 2015, 02:15:01 am »

Dear all,

Sharing a recent acquisition of an amber carved in the shape of a peach since there is a greater interest in this material due to the Paris auction.

Cheers,
YT

* Peach n Bat1.jpg (67.54 KB, 630x446 - viewed 37 times.)

* Peach n Bat2.jpg (136.95 KB, 828x598 - viewed 42 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:08:11 am »

Dear YT,

That bottle is better than most of the Ambers which were sold for outrageous prices yesterday. The one I was going after (#27) went for 10,000 Euros plus 14.4%. But that was the second dearest Amber in the sale. The O'Dell Amber  (#55) went much higher, 23,000 Euros! The average price of an Amber in the sale was about 5,000 Euros, or US$5,500 +-.

Having said that, I knew that at least 25 of the Ambers were from the Alex Cussons collection of Durban, SA. Mr. Cussons, who very graciously picked me up at my Durban hotel in his pink Bentley, while my parents and the rest of our tour group were waiting to board the bus for a city tour, had over 1,000 bottles in 1974, and I got to view all, and have a delicious lunch of chicken curry, SA style as well.

His family were the Cussons soap people (Cussons 'Imperial Leather' soap, etc.), and he told me he had a valuable parting gift for me, hours later. I hoped for a bottle, but got some soap, instead!  Cry   Shocked  Roll Eyes

But I must admit, I DID enjoy the soap, and he had some fine soaps for my mom and dad, as well.

I will get the 'prices achieved' page from Fraysse, and post it.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:11:16 am »

Dear YT,
what a nice bottle and superb carving! I have a similar one, which comes in the lot of bottles that I bought a few days ago from an old collection. Mine is shaped as a frog.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 03:33:31 am »

Dear Joey,

Thank you. For the O'Dell amber, did you see who was the under-bidder that called for €500 increase each time. It was painful!!
If you want to see this bottle again, I can arrange.
Is there a possibility to know which are the lots that is from the Cussons collection?

Dear Giovanni,

Thank you . I will be looking forward to your posting of the amber frog. Animal amber bottles usually cost much more as they tend to be associated with similar animal jade carvings.

This 7cm Amber peach belongs to the collection of A.W. Bahr, and sold by his descendent.
It was auctioned few hours after the Bloch 10 sale which by then, most of the buyers were gone. Managed to get it at an amazingly low price.
These were two of his bottles.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18456/lot/129/

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19305/lot/43/

Cheers,
YT

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 03:57:52 am »

YT

Nice Amber and for sharing the examples.
man.... too much money in this world. 

Joey

Look forward to receiving the prices realized, especially the Meng Zishou portrait. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 05:41:46 am »

Dear YT,
I will take the pictures. But in the meantime... it is good to know that the animal shaped ones are more valuable! Grin Grin
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:47:59 am »

Dear Pat,

The rarest and best conditioned snuff bottles with Imperial link will only get more expensive in the future.

Dear Giovanni,

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2015/snuff-bottles-from-mary-george-bloch-collection-part-x-hk0576/lot.20.html
This Amber pig lot has notes that explains the link between well carved nephrite and Amber animals.
"This is one of the rare amber versions of the well-known group of white nephrite animal-form snuff bottles. The appearance of similar forms, designs, and styles in two such different substances may be an indication of imperial production.
Intriguingly, this and the other known amber animal bottles are similar insofar as they are roughly finished on the inside, although not as roughly as the gourd of Sale 9, lot 41.
Rough interiors have implications for dating. There was a mid-Qing preference for shiny interiors to snuff bottles, probably due to increasingly fastidious connoisseurship dictating that a shiny surface was superior for keeping the snuff in peak condition. This trend appears to have been one that caught on in a big way only in the first decades of the nineteenth century.
All the amber animals known, and several of the figures that can be dated to the late-Qianlong or Jiaqing periods by reference to ceramic equivalents, have rough interiors, along with the gourd of Sale 9, lot 41. This suggests that they date from the Jiaqing reign or before."

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:00:57 am »

Dear YT,

Based on my memory: lots #
1, 4, 6, 7, 11, 15, 18, 20, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33,
34, 35, 36, 38, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47, and 48.
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Thank you. For the O'Dell amber, did you see who was the under-bidder that called for €500 increase each time. It was painful!!
If you want to see this bottle again, I can arrange.
Is there a possibility to know which are the lots that is from the Cussons Collection,

Cheers,
YT

Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 04:44:42 pm »

Thank you very much Joey.
1974 till now!!

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »

Dear YT,
I did post the frog shaped bottle in a separate thread.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:06 pm »

Look forward to receiving the prices realized, especially the Meng Zishou portrait. 

Dear Pat,

PR of lot 82, Meng Zishou, 50k is only the hammer price.

Cheers,
YT

Attached is a price realized that I have compiled. I will take no responsibility for any wrong pricing.  Grin

* Meng IP Price realized.jpg (136.51 KB, 704x886 - viewed 37 times.)
* Paris PR.pdf (93.16 KB - downloaded 18 times.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:29:17 am by YT » Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 02:33:55 am »

Thanks YT!

That's a record price for a Meng Zishou as far as I can recall. Appreciate you posting the results ..
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 03:38:00 am »

Dear Pat,

It is a record price for a Meng Zishou, but this is the finest MZS Portrait known, and was also in Emily Byrne Curtis' book on IPSB Portrait bottles, Reflected Glory In A Bottle, NYC 1980. It is illustrated on pp.78 & 79, while the info is on pp.18 & 19.

And before it was in the Edward Choate O'Dell collection, this gem was owned by Dr. Louis E. Wolferz, a noted early Western collector of IPSBs.  He was also a Christian missionary of Jewish ancestry, who'd had to leave Germany in the early 1930s because he was a 'non-Aryan Christian', and therefore subject to the same racial persecution as fellow Jews who'd not converted out.
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »

Posting copies of images I had posted in a different thread:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2832.40.html

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 05:32:38 pm »

Posting copies of images I had posted in a different thread:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2832.40.html

Very odd.. I can not open either of these images.. Different problem though. When I click on them the thumbnail image disappears, but does leave the link, but I get an error message when I try to open the link.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 08:04:46 pm »

When I click on them the thumbnail image disappears, but does leave the link, but I get an error message when I try to open the link.

George,

This is not a different problem - it IS the problem I have been experiencing! But not always....... mostly with Tom B's attachments.   Huh

Tom L.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: