About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:23:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

I think Suo Zhenhai. Right or not?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think Suo Zhenhai. Right or not?  (Read 1216 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 08:16:45 am »

Dear all,
a more accurate comparison. I realize that the previous comparison was made with a picture where the bottle is in almost counterlight, so the shades was less apparent. In the comparison below the picture is taken with front light as is that of Richards' bottle. I also resized the two pictures so that the ratio between the two bottles now is correct, now we are really comparing a 78 mm bottle against a 68 mm one. I will appreciate very much your comments about the painting styles.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* Confr Richardbn.jpg (119.83 KB, 586x600 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 06:58:58 pm »

Gosh, now looking at these side by side, it sure looks like painted by Suo Zhenhai.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 07:48:28 pm »

Yup.  I kind of agree.

I don't remember if Giovanni's bottle has a date on it or not.   The problem is that as has been said by Peter and others, by the time SZH died some of his student were able to paint exactly like him.  So if it has a date on it before 2007, it is highly likely to be his, if not then we know the answer.  If no date, then we will never know for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 08:12:22 pm »

Agreed too.

Following this thread has been interesting especially with regards to the brush strokes and method of painting.

This could be one of the early training bottle by Suo ZhenHai. Which later evolve to using slender bottles with shoulder that is more difficult to paint.

Dear Giovanni,

Can ask the wife of Suo?

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 02:28:41 am »

Thank you dear George, Pat and YT. It is really an interesting discussion. The bottle has no iscriptions at all, which seems highly unusual for Suo Zhenhai according to Steven.
Dear YT, who do you mean that should ask to Suo's wife, me or you? I have no way to do that, if you can and wish, then please ask, it would be really interesting, thank you.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 08:51:27 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

From Peter's response about Liu ShouXun, I thought he knows Suo's wife. My presumption entirely! Tongue

Dear Peter,

Didn't mean to drag you in as I remember your close dealings with the Chinese artists.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:46 pm »

Dear Giovanni and all,

Here is a student bottle I posted some 2 years ago. In my opinion there are several students of Suo Zhenhai who can copy his style extremely well!

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1811.0.html

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 02:00:29 am »

Thank ou dear Tom for addressing to that your bottle. Very instructive.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: