About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 04:33:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Is this bottle for lady

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this bottle for lady  (Read 1008 times)
ELiu
« on: October 25, 2015, 06:29:47 pm »

Hello there,

I heard that some tiny snuff bottles were made for ladies. I have a crystal bottle. It is 2 inches height. The motif and shape are in female style. Is it made for ladies?

Thanks

Dezhi

* DSCN2116.JPG (1071.62 KB, 2348x1869 - viewed 59 times.)

* DSCN2117.JPG (1072.22 KB, 2236x1949 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:32:43 pm »

I am not familiar with bottles being made special for ladies.. Many certainly are more feminine than others though..

I think you may have posted thumbnail size pics .. When I click on them they do not expand to larger size. So a bit hard to tell a lot about it, but appears to be a very nice bottle. The shape, although perhaps a bit feminine, is really a lovely shape.

Lets see what others have to say about yours and other bottles being made special for ladies.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:37 pm »

There are very small snuff bottles which I was told were made for ladies. This information is from antique dealers, and could be just a story meant to help sell a bottle.
    I do know that I had three very tiny examples, under 2 inches or 50 mm., two of which I still have, and they were made for the personal use of the Qianlong Emperor.
    Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:51:24 am »

Dear Dezhi,
welcome to the Forum. Can you please resize your pictures before to post them, to a maximum size of 800 - 900 pixels? They are too big, difficult to manage, difficult to read and completely useless so big.
Dear George, it is not that the pictures was posted in thumbnail size. On the contrary, ythey are too big, so it takes time to upload and are occupying a lot of space on the site, with no utility. It is the same old problem, I know I am insisting too much on this point, but I am stubborn, and when I am sure that I am right, I don't surrender:)Smiley
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:16 am »

Dear Giovanni,

And you are right to stick to your guns.
Meanwhile, I will see if Charll can photograph my new purchases and send them to Steven to post for me.
Best from Chicago,
Joey

Dear Dezhi,
welcome to the Forum. Can you please resize your pictures before to post them, to a maximum size of 800 - 900 pixels? They are too big, difficult to manage, difficult to read and completely useless so big.
Dear George, it is not that the pictures was posted in thumbnail size. On the contrary, ythey are too big, so it takes time to upload and are occupying a lot of space on the site, with no utility. It is the same old problem, I know I am insisting too much on this point, but I am stubborn, and when I am sure that I am right, I don't surrender:)Smiley
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:31:14 am »

Dear Joey,

Can't wait to see your new bottles.Smiley

So Jealous of you guys have fun together on the convention.Wink

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 12:37:58 am »

Looking forward to seeing them Joey.   Smiley
  Cheers Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 07:49:54 pm »

Dear Steven, Brenda, et al,

Sadly, Charll only  got to photograph 4 of the 5 Li Ruchen bottles I bought, the Zhang Baotian bottle I also bought from Jill and Li Hui, and the superb 'Suzhou School' Jade bottle with the monkey I bought from Clare Chu. The other 10 bottles from Clare I will pick up in LA from her.   Actually, in point of fact, I will pick up the IPSBs; the four porcelains and the other jade will be sent via FedEx to Ireland for me.

It really was great seeing other Forum members like Jo &David Earp, and Charll, etc., in addition to all my regular friends from the ICSBS.

At this stage, I am probably friendly with over 90% of attendees, and have a problem organizing a  table for the Final Banquet each year. I would have loved to have had Jo & David at our table, but Kim and Jim had already invited another couple, and I like to invite those who are attending by themselves, on the assumption that couples have an easier time getting seating - they form a sub group by themselves.

So we had Charll, Jerry, Wesley Kirkholm and myself for the men, Alexie  and Cynthia for the women, and 2 couples, Erich & Allison Schiesse and Kim Green / Jim Pastorick, for our table of ten.

Master Zhang Rucai displayed bottles at this convention. Most were over 100mm or even 120mm high. I looked at one which was about 75mm or 80mm high, and had the bottom solid  quartz, and the top 40% was hollowed and painted with two scenes of ducks swimming.
USD 50,000!!!! Ridiculous.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:33:03 am »

I'm wondering why this post seems to be hijacked by more experienced members who should know better? This is not the best way to welcome a new member. Regards Jason.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 01:52:47 pm »

This is a lovely bottle and I enjoyed your sharing it with us Dezhi.  Its small size and delicate carving seem something that a lady might enjoy.  I have seen some wonderful paintings with women holding thier snuff bottles.  I am not sure of the size, but as Joey has indicated it seems that smaller bottles could have been used by ladies.

I am sorry if you feel that the post was hijacked Jason.  Those of us that were fortunate enough to attend the ICSBS Convention are still a bit giddy from visiting with other collectors, seeing beautiful bottles and listening to wonderful lectures.  As a fairly new collector myself, six years, I hope that Dezhi does not feel neglected.  Thanks for sharing this beautiful bottle with all of us! I look forward to hearing more from you and a warm welcome to the Forum. 
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 08:45:10 pm »

Dear Dezhi,

This bottle is not so easy to judge due to the wrong configuration in photo size. I have reformatted and attached at less than 300kb size.
I belief it is easier for our experts to see now. It will be even better if you can attach the top, side and base photo with a max of 600X800 pixel.
My view is that this is not a ladies bottle as those that I have handled are much smaller and many are in feminine shape like a purse and....

Dear Jason,

I hope you don't mind the closeness and warmth of this big family. Each post here are never personal and all of us share our views in a very close way with each other.
Do take a look at DeZhi's welcome post where all of us expressed a liking of her best bottle.

Please feel free to share your bottle and opinion around. I will be looking forward too.

Cheers,
YT

* DSCN2116a.jpg (94.84 KB, 490x794 - viewed 29 times.)

* DSCN2117a.jpg (87.69 KB, 464x764 - viewed 31 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 09:01:47 pm »

Dear Dezhi,

The hollowing of this bottle, which I can now see based on the better photos YT  supplied, makes me feel the bottle is modern. Since modern bottles are, by and large , NOT used for snuff (except for Mongolians, who still use snuff bottles; and I use them to give out snuff in synagogue on Sabbath), it is a moot point whether this is a lady's bottle.

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:02:06 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »

Hi all, thanks for getting back on track, I understand you were buzzing, and I may well have been the same in your situation!  Smiley New members can be put off by being frozen out, again thanks for your understanding. Kiss
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:33 pm »

Dear Jason,

I know I speak for all the veteran members when I say that we'd not want to put off anyone, but we tend to do things organically, and are not always as 'on track' as we might be.
But better photos done in the way that we've found from experience 'works', would go far to keeping me, at least, on track.
Best,
Joey

Hi all, thanks for getting back on track, I understand you were buzzing, and I may well have been the same in your situation!  Smiley New members can be put off by being frozen out, again thanks for your understanding. Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:36 pm »

Well put Joey!   Great to get to visit with you and Charll in Chicago.  I always learn from the two of you.   
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 04:29:40 pm »

Dear Jo,

It was great seeing you and David as well, along with all my other friends at the convention. And I learn a lot from you as well, because explaining helps me clarify things in my head.

I am in Hawaii now.
Safe travels,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: