About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:18:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Little wooden stands for Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little wooden stands for Bottles  (Read 1112 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: June 10, 2011, 06:09:00 pm »

Hello  All,

I am posting  this  here   because  I  cannot   find  a   better   direct  STRING .  

If  George   wants  to   move   and/ or  copy  this  posting   to another    string  it's  OK  with me  .

Main  point  is  to  leave  a   permanent  ( and  if possible,  at  George's   discretion ,  a pinned )  posting  which  is   useful and  can be   easily  acessible  later   to  newbies

I have  a  habit  of    displaying  my bottles  in my home    display   cabinets    on   little   wooden  stands.

I  stick  my  bottles  to the  stand   with  blue-tac   and  this  makes  the bottle  much more  stable  ( especially  in case  of   earthquake,  which  certainly  in Taiwan  and  Japan  ....  and  West  Coast USA  ? ...  becomes  an  increasing  worry )

But  the  stands   themselves   are  little  works  of  art  , and  one  can    choose   the  stand  to  complement   the   bottle  

e.g  in the   attached  pics   I  show  my  MOST-PRIZED    bottle,  which  is  by  Fu Guoshun,  on a  very  simple   stand  because  that accentauates  the  pure  beauty  of  this  bottle   ( I   swear :  If  I had  to    exchange  my  whole  collection  for  just  ONE  bottle, it    would    be  this   superb  creation by  Fu  Guoshun  .  That's  why  I use    this bottle   as  my  signature  on this Forum  )

But  my own  reason    for  using  the    little  wooden   stands  is  much more   basic   :  Hong  Kong's    air pollution  is  so    bad  that a   thin  film  of  micro-dust   builds  up   very  fast  on  any   stationary  object   so my   250  +   bottle collection  needs  regular   dusting ,   and  if a  bottle  is   glued  to a   firm  base  it  is  much more   "safe" in the  hands  of  whoever  does  the   bottle-shelf   cleaning .  (  =  usually ME  ! )  

I  found  a   Mother-lode   of  such  little   wooden  stands  in Shanghai,  which  by pure   coincidence, was  a  few  shops  down the  road   from  my  "Mother-lode "  in  SH  of  IPBs  .

Trust  me   that  these  are  100%   entrepeneurs    and so  prices  are  bargain basement.  

On my  Shanghai  trip  this  past week  I bought  a    dozen stands   from  the   wooden  stand  shop, as  I normally   do  every  time  I  visit  the  bottle   shop  nearby  .  I attach    some  pics  of the  the  stands which  I  bought.  

By way  of  valuing  these  stands  :   I  paid RMB850  =  US$130   for  these  dozen  stands,  but they are all top  marketquality .   The  superb  carving  and  inlaid  woodwork  put  these  kind  of  stands  in the US$ 10/stand   category

Lower   quality  stands   can be  bought   for  as  low  as  RMB  25  =   US $ 4/stand  , but  also  very  beautiful  (although   much  simpler  in  design )

If    any   "premium/ long-term"    Forum   members  want  me to buy such    stands  on their  behalf  I am  willing  to  do  so   with   zero   personal    commission / handling  fee  : I  will  only   charge  P&P   etc

( I  cannot  do  this    on a  commercial basis   unless  I set  up a  busoness   website,   which I might  consider  to  do  after I  retire  in  2  years  : so in the  meantime ,  I  make this  offer    gratis  )

I  support   all  Chinese   entrepreneurs   in our  ( and  related)    fields.  

Cheers   Peter  ( just  back to  HK   from  SH)

* Copy of RIMG0049.JPG (36.33 KB, 448x336 - viewed 40 times.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:10:56 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »

Nice ones Peter..  I am interested.  let me know where this place is please, and introduce me to the owner.  Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:38:42 pm »

Those certainly are extra nice stands..

I have several of the cheap ones.. Mostly are round, so can not even use them. Then I have a couple of flat ones that are again.., cheap ones.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:43:10 pm »

I added "Stands" along with stoppers, spoons, dishes, funnels and spatulas..

Then moved this here..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:28 pm »

Hi  All

My offer  stays  the  same  :  I  can  help  anyone  on the  Forum  to  buy   such stands   without  any  commission    .  Just   P&P   costs

If  anyone, eg  Pat,  visits   SH  regularly,  I  can  introduce  you  to  the  shop   and  you can  make  your  own    direct  deals   (how  much more  transparent   can I be  ? ) 

But  really, seriously  :  these  little   stands  are  an  art-  form  in their  own  right. Not  only  do they   stabilze  an otherwise  very  unstable  and  precious  glass bottle   ( with the  aid  of  blue-tac)  but also    a   stand  can  complement   a  bottle  for  display .

Notice  that  in the  postings  below  I chose a  very  plain and  elegent    stand   for  my Fu  Guoshun "once  in  a  lifetime"   creation  bottle  : the  one bottle  that  I would  give  away  all  my collection  just  to keep   this  ONE  IN A  MILLLION    bottle  ( now  there's  a  thing  ! ) 

Anyway  ...   welcome  any/ all Forum members   to my    " bottle   stand"   emporium 

Cheers  Peter

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:03:53 pm »

Hi  George

Great   !   Thanks  ! 

Perfect    repository    for  this  small / but  important   side-thread.

Interested    and  serious  Forum  members  should  be   able   to navigate  to   this  page  and  make  contact  with  me  if  they  want  to  source   little    stands  like  this

More  than happy  to  introduce    serious  collectors   to the    manager   of  the    Mother Lode   little   wooden  Stand   Shop    in  SH    anytime    they  like  if  we  are  both  in  SH  at the  same  time

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:28 am »

Peter

Can I please have the details/address for the shop in Shanghai where you bought these (especially the inlaid stands).   Thanks

Patriek

PS.  You can send to private email if you feel it is more appropriate. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 05:15:02 am »

Hi  Pat

Here's the   details.

The  inlaid  stands  are the  one I  refer to  as    two  color

Cheers

Peter

* Wooden Stands @ SH Motherlode.doc (23.5 KB - downloaded 12 times.)

* RIMG0001.JPG (7.27 KB, 234x271 - viewed 24 times.)

* RIMG0002.JPG (9.73 KB, 290x223 - viewed 26 times.)

* RIMG0003.JPG (7.72 KB, 234x253 - viewed 18 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:11 am »

Hi  Again

Sorry , the  address   word  doc   did not  attach

Here  it is  again

Cheers

* Wooden Stands @ SH Motherlode.doc (23.5 KB - downloaded 13 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:06 am »

Aaaaaaaggghh

Not  my day

Wrong word doc

Try  again

* Wooden stands @ Yu Gardens Sq.doc (24 KB - downloaded 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 05:19:38 am »

Grrrrrrrrrr

4th attempt

* Wooden Stand Shop @ SH Motherlode.jpg (14.49 KB, 1654x2340 - viewed 83 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 05:35:58 am »

Thanks Peter!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:15 am »

Peter

Found one of the shops, the one with the inlay stands.  Some very nice stuff there.  Thanks!  Will be back for more.  The other one I never located, and not for a lack of trying.  The guy is really strange.  He just flat out refused to give out the exact location of the shop inside the Yuyuan garden complex, like it was a state garded secret or something.  My friend talked to him several times in Chinese to get detail directions but he just could not be bothered.  Weird ...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »

Hi  Pat,

The  motherlode  wooden  stand   shop  is  on a long  straight  street  on the   edge  of the  Yu  Gardens   complex  ( outside the  main  enclosed   concourse  area)   .  Just a   few   shops   down  from Ms  Wang's  motherlode  IPB  shop  on the  same  street  which  she  now  shares   with a  guy  who  makes   stone  engraving  pics .

The  "other"  guy  -  whose  contact   details   maybe  I    accidentally   gave  in   earlier ( wrong)   attachments  - was a   shop  in the  very  heart  of the   Yu Yuan  complex   selling  little   copper   trinkets , from  whom I bought  stands   as a  go-between    for a   while  until  I  found  the   true  motherlode   shop later  on.

So that  maybe  expains   why   that  guy  inside  the  Yu  Gardens would  not  tell  you  more

Did  you  buy  any   stands   from  Mr  ( true)  Motherlode ?

The  inlaid   stands  are   truly beautiful:  works  of  art  in their  own   right.  But  I  have  since  moved  to   very   simple, elegant    dark  wood  stands   which  I  think  show  off the  bottles  better  than a   fancy  inlaid  stands

The  cost  is    about the  same  :  RMB 70  =   US$10  (  I   recall that  inlaid  stands   cost   a bit  more  :  US$15 )

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 04:19:46 am »

Hi Peter, Pat, George,

I just came across this thread from a year BEFORE I joined the forum! I didn't know you had a specially set up post for stands. Having recently posted some information on acrylic stands in Giovanni's post about display shelving, I am wondering if I should move it here.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: