About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 03:16:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

White over Red - Double Overlay Glass Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: White over Red - Double Overlay Glass Snuff Bottle  (Read 405 times)
guest526
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:43 am »

Dear All

Here is my first posting of a snuff bottle on the forum. I have been reading up on how best to describe this bottle and now inspired by the threads on the forum and books I will have a go. So hopefully I am going to learn as we go.

Glass; of a flattened pear shape with a slender cylindrical neck. The bubble suffused ground decorated with double overlay of white over red (red almost brownish), with a cricket and flower motif on one side and a grape vine on the other side.

The cricket symbolising courage and the grapes fertility? (not entirely sure how this all ties together). The carving is well executed, however, I am not sure about the dating of this bottle. The flattened pear shape is not an exact match to the older bottles although the overlay colour white and the deep red maybe a possible match.

The bottle is well hollowed, light and measures approximately 6.5 cm without the stopper and 7.5cm with stopper.

I look forward to your comments and thanks for your time.

Warm regards
Uma

* SB1.PNG (758.95 KB, 466x639 - viewed 38 times.)

* SB2.PNG (978.96 KB, 602x636 - viewed 32 times.)

* SB3.PNG (539.67 KB, 513x411 - viewed 17 times.)

* SB4.PNG (570.02 KB, 502x451 - viewed 21 times.)

* SB5.PNG (394.08 KB, 358x453 - viewed 18 times.)

* SB6.PNG (502.42 KB, 388x574 - viewed 19 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »

Dear Uma,

Good try on the description. I won't be able to do that when I just started.
This bottle looks like 20th century made. The composition although an old one is not focused. All the subjects are the same size so losing somewhat it's story.
Still it is quite an interesting multi-layer overlay.
This is just my humble opinion, do wait for the experts' thoughts.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:20:44 pm »

Nice bottle Uma..

I want to comment how wonderful it is when we see a new collector and member of the forum actually do a little reading to learn about there bottle as best as possible prior to asking question..

You did a great job, and it really does make our expert collectors happy to jump in and help.

Any way..  Very nice overlay example. Although very modern, but still nice to add to your collection.

These can be a bit tricky sometimes..

I am not sure that there is a symbolic connection between the cricket and grapes.  I am just heading out, but when I get home will look to see if there is symbolic connection between them for you..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
guest526
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 01:08:26 pm »

Dear YT, George

Thanks for your kind comments at my first go here in the forum Smiley.

YT- that is a good point about the scale composition, I never considered that at all. I was trying to match the shape and colours but did not think about the whole composition in terms of scale.

George- thanks for offering to check out the symbolism. I will also check in the material available and the net to see if I can find any similar motifs and what it means.

Warm regards
Uma
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:55:09 pm »

Dear Uma,

A brilliant first try at a description. You nailed it!
As both YT and George said, the bottle is modern.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

guest526
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:16:32 pm »

Dear Joey

Thanks for your comments about my go at the description, I had expert help the forum threads and books.

My journey has begun with snuff bottles. Many thanks to YT, George and you for confirming this one as a modern bottle, I will label it accordingly.

Cheers
Uma
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: