About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 08:09:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

DO WE NEED A NEW "MODERN / VERY MODERN" COLLECTORS' SOCIETY ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DO WE NEED A NEW "MODERN / VERY MODERN" COLLECTORS' SOCIETY ?  (Read 570 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: June 10, 2011, 11:42:23 am »

Hi   All  on  this  Forum  ( and  many  thanks  to  George   for   setting  it    up  :  SO...   user  friendlly ! ) 

BIG   QUESTION  !

DO  WE   NEED  A  NEW   SOCIETY  FOR  MODERN  /  VERY MODERN (   = post 2000-painted  / very  roughly )   ?

Ideally  ,  if  such a   Society    was   created    it  should  be  under   the  auspices    of  the   International   Chinese    Snuff  Bottle   Society  (  "ICSBS "  ) 

That's    the   ideal

But  membership  of the   ICSBS   is  now  US$  150   / yea
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:31 am »

SORRY  ...... SOMEHOW  I HIT THE  WRONG   KEY 

TO  CONTINUE :

But  membership  on the  ICSBS  costs  US $  150  /   year

That's  not   an  amount  which many  lovers   of  Modern /  VERY  MODERN    artist   schools  can  accept

So  :  SHOULD  WE    START  A NEW   SOCIETY  :  " VERY  MODERN   INSIDE  - PAINTED   SNUFF  BOTTLES   CLUB"

All based   using digital media 

HuhHuh??  !!!!!

Cheers

Peter  @  HK 

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:24 pm »

I will leave this to those of you much more involved than myself..

Of course the forum will support such a great new idea.

I talk from time to time with a member of the society who lives in China, and he expressed great dissatisfaction with the current society as they do not send any publications to members like himself who live in China.

You would think that at a cost of 150.00, that the society would eagerly send thier publications to "all" members.

Any way... Just my humble opinion, but seems like a great idea to start a new VM society. 

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:30 pm »

Hi   George, All

If  any  person/ collector  joins  the   ICSBS    they  will    AUTOMATICALLY  get  the   ICSBS  journal   2  x  per   year,   which  , starting   NOW  , this  year ,   is  in  dual  language  :  english/ Chinese

They  "should"   also  get   free  copies   of  all  Bonhams    Auction   catalogues   for  Snuff  Bottles  (  e.g  the    remainder  of  the   George  Bloch  collction   which is   scheduled  over  the next  6  years   :  2  x   auction   per  year,  each  time  about   140   bottles  )

I  now  get  these   Bonhams/ Bloch Collection   catalogues   free  of  charge  as  a fully  paid -up member  of the  ICSBS ,  and  the  cost  price  , if  to  buy   such  a  catalogue,   is  about  US$ 50   per  book (maybe  even  more  :  check  Bonhams  on-line) 

RECOMMENDATION  :    Join the   ICSBS   !  

Cheers   ,   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:22:21 pm »

Hi   again George,  All

There  is  immense    scholarship  in the  ICSBS 

Any  serious collector    who   turns  his  back on that    immense  sholarship  is     short-sighted  in his/her   thinking.

That's  why, although  I have  ZERO  interest  in the   antique  ( middle - school)   bottles  which  figure  so highly  in  the ICSBS   thinking,  I   subscribed   immediately  to the  ICSBS  as  soon  as  I started   collecting   seriously

Therefore,  I   think  that every   SERIOUS   collecter  should  join the  ICSBS  as a  way  to   tap into this    huge   scholarship  and  history   

I  will , in  due  course,  propose  to the  the  ICSBS  secretariat   for  a  fee   waiver    for   all modern   artists,  now that  the  ICSBS   journal  is   dual  language ,   for the   first time ever

Whether we -  somewhat  few  -  serious   collectors   of  Modern  /  VERY  Modern ( "VM")     bottles    have  much in common with the general  membership  of  the  ICSBS  is  a  very  different matter .

Personally  ,  I  do not  think  we  have  much in  common   because   most  of  those   of  us ,  who  like  me,   buy  "VM"  bottles ....   we  all  buy  for  pure   BEAUTY, not  for  investment   value  . Beauty  #1 !    Yeah  !!!!

But I agree  that  there  is   certain  "investment"  value in  being able  to  spot the    next  " Wang  Xisan"    of  the  VM  world

So   please  let  me  tell  you all  a   story  :

In  9.2009  the   Asian  Snuff  Bottle  Collectors  Society  held  a    very   big meeting  and    exhibition  in Yantai.   There  were  many   Singapore  collectors, there, also  about  100 x   artists,   but  I was  the  only   westerner  .  That's  not  a    big  thing:   I am often   the  only  westerner  at  such  occasions  . But the  point  is that  I  was  able  to  view  objectively   from    a  western-collector  ( albeit   rookie  collector )   point  of  view   the  whole  proceedings .

Which    is  what  I    did.  ( Copies   of  my  diary  of  that   very  long    and   exciting  weekend  on  request    to  bona   fide   SERIOUS  Forum   Members  on  privat   request)

When  I  finally  walked  through  the   exhibitio, , only   2 bottles    caught  my  attention

1.    Fu Guoshun :  THE  MOST  BEAUITIFUL BOTTLE  IN THE   WORLD   Which  is my  signature  pic  on  this   website  - TRULY   .  I  have  NEVER    seen a  bottle  SO  beautiful    in  all  my life 

Finally,    (several   months  later)    I  persuaded  Fu  Guoshun  to  sell me  this  bottle  , and it  remains to  this  day  as  THE  most beautiful   bottle I   ever  bought in my  life    I  would   happily   exchange   ALL my   250 bottles   collection for  this one  , single  ,  bottle

Now  THAT's  a   true  master  work  !

2  Sung  Hongln  !    He  has  suddenly   created a   whole new   style    :   wonderful  ! 

He  had   just  one  such bottle on  display  at  Yanaai/ 2009,   for  which  I   negogiated  long  and  hard. 

Finally  we  agreed  a  price  (not  cheap  !) 

But  then I   found  out    that Michael  Ku  , who  is  now  the  curator  of  the  new  WXS  Museum  in  BJ,  had  also  been   eagerly    been  collecting  Sun Honglin's   currrent   work in  2010  

So it  seems  my  taste  in Modern  IPBs  is  well  ahead  of  time....

Cheers  Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:47:26 am »

Hi All, 

Small  editorial   corrections  to last posting

Michael Ko (  Xu  Arts  )  is  the  curator  of  the   new  WXS  Museum   ( not   to be  confused    with   Jill /  Guo  Jie   and  Li Hui  who   run  "Xu  X.G.  Arts"   dealership  in  BJ,  well-known   to the   ICSBS   

The   Artist  that   both  Michael  and  I  suddenly  started   collecting  at the   same  time  and  totally  in depnedendly  is   Sun  Hong  Lin    。    Seems  both  Michael and  I  had   a  eye   for   true  QUALITY 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:39:53 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: