About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 03:54:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A warm welcome & a question.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A warm welcome & a question.  (Read 386 times)
Frederick Bob
« on: October 03, 2015, 11:21:28 am »

Hello Dear all,

My name is Frederick Bob and I am based in Maastrich in the Netherlands. I have been collecting Chinese porcelain for a long time and have recently started to shift to Snuff Bottles. They have always intrigued me but i have never taken the time to venture in that collection field. I am now inclined to do so because i was able to purchase a small set at a good price to kick to start my collection. So i think it is time for me to go onto a forum and expand my knowledge. I have always been a member of Gotheborg but like to go to a dedicated snuff bottle forum now!

I will post some pictures of my snuffbottles later. For now i have a question for you all. One of my regular visited porcelain sellers on Ebay has put up a few bottles that caugth my eye. I trust this seller and have bougth from him before and i really like two of the bottles. However i feel he might have underestimated their age, because he confined to me that he is not really an expert and wants to be on the safe side. Now I am not an expert either, but you guys are!!!

What do you think about these 2 bottles

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131612124758
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141784278844
here are all bottles from this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/Antique-From-Shangri-La?_dmd=2&_nkw=snuff

I am not entirely sure which direction i will go with my collection, but i definetly will go for Glass Overlay bottles because i love them, next to that i am considering either Jade bottle or Inside painted. Probably it will take some time for met to establish what exactly want to collect, that is a feeling that has to grow. I recently sold all my famille rose porcelain since i was done with it. So that has given me a reasonable war chest Smiley)

Talk to you soon

Frederick Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:16:35 pm »

Hi Frederick,

Warm Welcome to the Forum! We have a few of  members from Gotheborg as well, so you might find yourself comfortable with old friends here.

I normally don't want to discuss any bottles  still on sale in the public forum, since it might mislead other buyers or interest conflict with other potential buyer from the Forum . But I would suggest that you pass the sale. Better ones will come.Smiley

Steven

Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Bob
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:21:34 pm »

Thank you ! Wink
Report Spam   Logged
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »

Frederick, WELCOME to the Forum!

As Steven mentioned a number of us will generally be reluctant to discuss or comment on a bottle in any detail that is currently up for public sale, particular if it is on ebay.  There are occasional exceptions, such as a member looking for advice on acquiring a bottle from another party in a private sale or closed sale.  On occasion a member will be looking for additional background on a bottle that is up for auction at one of the major or secondary auction houses.  As a Fourm member I am willing to share general comments on quality and/or confirm the bottle description as presented by the action source for a bottle presently up for auction.  But the person making the inquiry has to have some specific questions beyond, “What do you think of this bottle?”  Also, as you get involved with the Forum, private emails are a good approach to ask for opinions on bottles presently up for sale.

As a collector I would pass on the bottles that you referenced, the reasons will become apparent as you gain more knowledge and view more bottles over time.   My opinion is the bottles currently listed by this seller are 20th century bottles, and a number of them are quite contemporary. 

Starting out, a general ‘rule of thumb’ is that any glass or stone bottle with has excessive detail is likely newer and carved (actually it is grinding) by modern equipment rather than foot treadle.  Also screw thread stoppers tend to be modern bottles, an exception here is an occasional metal bottle.  Unless the bottle is an organic material or a metal bottle, bottles with matching stoppers are contemporary (post 1950) or new.  This tends to be particularly true with stone and porcelain bottles.   

Hope this helps in getting you started and keep posting, particularly on bottles you have in hand.
Charll
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:57:06 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Frederick Bob
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 02:11:49 pm »

Hi,

This has already been very helpfull! Great learning experience. I hope we can discuss more in detail your thougths when te auction ends. I will post my bottles soon in the Modern Section, as i am sure that is what they are  Wink.

But i need to start a photobucket account first

II will still put a bid in on 1 of them if price dont go to high because i just like it very much and want to see it for real. I will probably regret it in a couple of years but that is no problem now. Hahahahah

Talk to you soon!

Best wishes

Frederick
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 02:18:00 pm »

Dear Frederick,
it is nice to see you here, wellcome!
You should post here the bottle that you have posted today on Gotheborg, so we will see if I have been wrong or right in my judgement, since here there are collectors much more expert than myself. You do not necesdsarily need a Photobucket account to post pictures here. Just take care to resize them at about 800 pixels and 100 kB, the same than on Gotheborg.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 03:21:53 pm »

Dear Frederick,

A warm welcome from me as well. I live in Jerusalem Israel most of the year, but keep a modest late Georgian house in Ireland for the summer, when it is really hot in Israel.

I looked at the bottles, and agree with Steven and Charll.
Best Wishes,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:33:52 pm »

Dear Frederick,

Warm welcome. Looking forward to 'seeing' your collection.

The yellow Jadeite bottle is quite attractive amidst 20th. Would have been nicer if there are more details on the bear cub.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 10:54:47 pm »

Warm welcome aboard !

I like Photobucket, and use it most.. But for now if you like, you can attach pics to your posts.

Simply hit the "Additional Options" link lower left of the box your typing in.

Hit the "Browse" button, navigate your way through your computer to the image. "Right Click" on the image, and hit the "select".

You can add several pics to the same post via the ( more attachments ) link.

You can't see the images until after you actually post your topic/reply.  Once it is posted the pics will become visible.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: