About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 11:56:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Interesting discovery - Patent Used for faking inside painted bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting discovery - Patent Used for faking inside painted bottles  (Read 1336 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:57 pm »

This clears up a lot of questions. Please read carefully.

Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:52:06 pm »

Excellent find, good article........ thanks Pat

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:58:32 pm »

Thanks Pat,

BINGO  !!
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:31 pm »

What a golden find Pat !!!

I am perplexed that the patent seems to be more for a process/technique.. So simple that once shown how, seems like such a patent would not mean much.. Everyone would simply start doing it.  Nothing said about patents for the special coated decals..

The filling up the bottle with water making it possible to move the very thin decal into place sure makes perfect sense..

Sure does answer a great deal..

Anyone recognize any of the names bottom of patent ? 

Just an amazing find..

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:41:52 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:14:31 am »

Dear Pat,

Thank you. I agree it is a great find.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:13:32 pm »

Dear all,
thank you Pat for bringing this to our attention, but I don't know if I have to laugh or what else.
I really don't understand the purpose of this patent. I mean, which is the aim of who apply for this patent. What is he thinking? Is he for example thinking that, if he apply for a patent about how to take off the cork from a wine bottle, nobody will be allowed to drink his cup of wine without paying him some royalties? If I have a better skill than let say Joey in rolling the spaghetti with the fork, should I apply for a patent? It is the same as patenting the act of using a screwdriver for tighten a screw. I don't see where is the innovation or any other advantage or intellectual merit to justify the release of the patent. Or am I not seeing something here?
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »

Hi Pat, All

That  patent  is  a  very  interesting  discovery.

How  did you   find  it  , Pat?

I note that  the  inventor is a  HK -based  person.  I think  I will write to  him (if  he  is  still at that address) and  ask  what  royalties   he  expects  if I use  his  patent, and   also try to  find  out  more  about the  process

Cheers

Peter

PS:  But I must admit  I  had a  good  laugh  at  Giovanni's  comments   about  spaghetti and  forks   !    Cheesy
       I think  I should  apply  for   a patent  for  my  best-ever  invention  for  how to eat  sphaghetti  easily
       without the  need   even to  roll  on the   fork :
       break each  sphaghetti  stick  in half  before  boiling  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 04:24:36 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Of course you are better than me in eating spaghetti with a fork! You are Italian!
Good patent, poor chances to get something out of it.  Roll Eyes
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 04:25:50 pm »

Dear Pat,

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 08:06:47 pm »

Pat,

Wonderful information and a good laugh for me as well in patenting such a procedure.  It is a documented puzzle piece that I suspect is only one of a few methods in the production of fake painted bottles.  Thanks for your research and sharing the results of this find.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 05:31:36 am »

Dear all,
what is really ridiculous is the fact that the patent has been released. I have a couple of patent myself from my old job and fpr what I know a patent, in order to be released, must be innovative in respect to current technology or knowledge. It must have some merit, being it the reduction of costs, of simplification of production process. But here, frankly, it is the same like suppose the following. Everybody has electrical switches at home, being it for turn on the light of your bathroom, or start a fan. Now, if I use the switch to turn on a LED for illuminating, just to stay in our field, the interior of a snuff bottle, should I have the right to patent the use of the electrical switch for that purpose? It is totally a non sense.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 07:35:39 am »

This clears up a lot of questions. Please read carefully.

I guess this explains the large quantity of these bottles I see for sale cheap. It sounds like the same process or similar to that used on non ferrous metal, or in decoupage, or in a hundred other crafty ways. I agree that it seems absurd one could get a patent on something that has been around forever. This kind of reminds me of when I was told by a jeweler that an adjustable silver wire bangle design where the two ends wrap around and allow expansion or contraction could not be used as it had been patented. I asked how on earth something that was used throughout China for centuries, and probably longer, could be patented and copyrighted. (I suspect the patent would never hold up in court, but then again, medical institutions and doctors have succesfully defended patents on the blood cells from other people's bodies for use in medical experiments, so who knows!)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:53:11 am »

People  patent  things  for  all sorts  of  ridiculous   reasons.

Sometimes  patents  are  published  just to prevent  someone  else from  patenting  an obvious  idea

I once (in a  former   job  capacity)  saw a  patent  for a  self-lighting pipe (I mean   tobacco  pipe)

I   don't know  if the   thing  would  ever have  worked technically,  but the  fact that it  weighed  at  least  2  kg (based  on the  number  of  internal gadgets  it  required to  work)   must have been  something of a   dis-incentive  to  make it to the  market !

In the  meantime,  I   demand  royalties   @ US$0.00001  per  stick  from everyone who breaks  their  spaghetti   sticks  in half  before  boiling ( and   double   royalties  from everyone  who  breaks them  into  quarters ) 

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:34:38 pm »

I have  written to the  patent owner  asking to  use  his  patent

Let's  see what happens !

But if  he  is a real  person  it's  most  unlikely that  he  still  lives  at the same  address, nor  even that the  address  exists  any longer   (because of   HK's  frantic  knock down and  re-build  housing  program)

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 06:17:27 am »

Hi  All

The  patent  is  revealed  ....  and  it's  NOT  for  faking  IPBs ,   it's  for  MAKING (IP)-like Bottles  ,  i.e.  making bottles   which   are  obviously  NOT  faked   IPBs.  Rather  they  are  obviously  just bottles  with a  simple  picture  or  label   stuck  inside.

So this   particular  patent  is  NOT  a  scam and  it  certainly   does  NOT  purport to  make   fake  IPBs

But  the   story  of  how  I  found this out  is  truly  amazing  - on of  those  wonderful  things   that happen  from  time to  time when  collecting  IPBs  and  meeting  people.

If  you  recall,  I  wrote  (by letter)  to the  patent  owner  :  a  Ms Li,  asking  some  questions  about the  patent. To my  immense   surprise  Ms  Li  replied by email   and  invited  me  to meet  her  at a  Starbucks in TsimShaTsui.

She  also  offered to  introduce  me  to her  husband  who is    "a  dealer  in  VMIPBs and  had  some  Chinese  landscapes  VMIPBs  for  sale " 

Today I met  Ms  Li  and   found  out  that  she  is  none  other  than  the  wife  of  Stanley  Y. K. Yang  -   the son  of  Y.F.  Yang   of  Hawaii  fame  and  very  well-known  dealer  of  yesteryear.

Stanley  Yang  was also  there  with  his  wife, and also  his  son and   daughter-in-law.

I  had  met  Stanley  before  a  couple  of times  in    about 2008  when first  started  to collect seriously  and  made a  big  effort to  contact  all the  dealers in HK   in  Hollywood  Road,  one  of  which  introduced  me to  Stanley.  The   scan  of  the  English  version of  J.H. Leung's  "A New  Look of  Inside Painted  Snuff Bottles"  in  my  data  base   was  in fact made using  Stanley's  copy  which he  lent me.

It  turns  out that the  "patent"    which  Pat  researched  has  NOTHING to do  with  what we   have  called   "fake photo-film  IPBs" .  It's  just a  simple  way  of  attaching  what is  obviously  a    very  simple  decal-type  cartoon-quality inside a  bottle   for  mass production  - see  pic attached.

In fact, when  I  showed  Stanley and  his  wife  my  fake  photo-film bottle  (the  "pretty  lady"  bottle)  they   thought it was  a  real  inside  painting !

After  meeting  in a  hotel  in Tsimshatsui  we all  came back to my  home  for  them to see my collection (see  pics).

So  , as  we  say  in  England ,  now there's a  thing !

Cheers

Peter

* Mr Yang Namecard.jpg (36.79 KB, 683x401 - viewed 33 times.)

* Yang Patent Photo-Film Bottles.jpg (12.39 KB, 240x320 - viewed 42 times.)

* Yang Family + Peter (1)(25.10.2015).jpg (15.04 KB, 320x240 - viewed 38 times.)

* Yang Family @ Peter's Home (25.10.2015).jpg (16.62 KB, 320x240 - viewed 56 times.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:15:02 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 07:13:00 am »

Great story Peter.

Is Stanley a collector or does he still have some of his grandfather's bottles?

Geoff

PS the last photo in your posting has some problem on enlargement

PPS is the patent really patent-able?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:32:01 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 12:46:34 pm »

Great story Peter .. !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 09:23:42 pm »

Hi  Geoff , All

When I  first  met  Stanley  Yang (son of  Y.F.  Yang / not   grandson - thanks for  the  correction Joey)   in  about 2008  at his  office  in TST  he  had  a  couple  of  dozen  bottles   which were the  leftovers  of the  J.H. Leung  collection .  But as  far as I know  he  does not collect   IPB's  himself.

He  told  me  he has  not  been  to  Hengshui  since 1983 ( !) .  But  he  does  have   close and more  recent  connections   with   the  Lu  School  in Zibo and  he  showed  me a   handful  of   Chinese  landscapes  by  Sun Jijie  of the  Lu School,  for  whom he  says  he  currently  acts  as   agent.

Sorry  about the  pics  -  I   just used  the   15  kB   versions  from the  "review thumbnail"    mode on my  digital camera  to save  time. If  anyone wants  higher  res  pics I can post them

Re the  patent  -  we   did  not  discuss  it's  patent-ability because  as soon as saw  what  it  is  used  for (those  very  simple  inside-PRINTED    souvenir  bottles)  I  had no further  interest  in the  patent  issue, especially  as  The  Yangs   thought  that my  "pretty lady"   photo-fake  bottle  was  in fact a  real  hand- painting   ( !)

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »

Thanks for the update Peter!   Seems it was worthwhile after all... 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: