About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 07:02:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Da Yong Scam ? (I hope not but I fear so)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Da Yong Scam ? (I hope not but I fear so)  (Read 1600 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: September 21, 2015, 09:25:09 am »

Hi  Pin

Thank you  so much  for  your  reply   and  I  am  glad  that  this  is  now  out  in the  public  area  , where it  needs  to  be   discussed  and  debated

Yes  I  know  all about the  Ye  family  and my  first  ever  antique bottle turned  out  to be  painted  by  a   ZLY   student    so it  was    "fake   ZLY"  work,  (I  sold  it  back the  dealer  after   WXS   in person declared  it  not a  genuine  ZLY)

I was   actually  at the  opening  of the  Jing School    exhibition  last weekend   - see   separate   thread  -   and  of  course  half the bottles  there   were  by the  Ye  family  (but  as  to  which Ye   -  who    really  knows ? )   

I  love  and  admire  Chinese   art  and the  art  of  copying .   My  single    biggest  collection  of  bottles  are  all by  Li Shouxun  which  are  commissioned  copies  of  a  water  color  abstract   Chinese  landscape   artist : Zhang Yumao  - see  my   ICSBS article  part 2   in the  sidebar ! 

I commissioned  12    bottles  at  US$ 2,000  each  =  US$24,000    spread over  6  years  because  every  bottle   took  LSX    a  couple of  months  to  paint   both sides . I  do  actually  own  two  of  Zhang Yumao's   original   paintings   which  cost  me   about  US$5,000     each   twenty  years  ago

When I first    started   seriously   collecting    VMIPBs     I was   shocked   ( in fact  -  disgusted)     at the  ridiculously  low  prices  that top  artists  were  being paid  at that time.

I have  worked  in  China   for    30  years   so  RMB4,000 for a  masterpiece  ?  That's  less than a  receptionist  earned   in my   previous company's  China  offices  per  month

Joey saw  that   totally  mind  blasting  Song  Yiming  goldfish  bottle    which I  hesitated     about   for  almost  two  years    two  years   from a  shop  in  BJ  near my  office  until  I  knocked  it   down    from   RMB15,600   to  a  paltry  RMB6,500 .  The  natural  crystal  bottle   alone  must  have  cost  SYM  most of that .

I am  still  ashamed   at that  purchase,  which is  one  reason  why  I    try   promote   SYM's   works.

He  is  one   artist  whom I  know  does  not  scam  and   his   fame   will  live  forever  (His  pen  name  is  Da  Cheng)   

So   -  for  right  or  for  wrong  -  I  personally   campaigned   for  prices  to be   raised  (RMB4,000  10 years  ago   was   US$500    which  was  my  top    budget  price   at that  time  in the  mid 1990s ) 

I  advocated  US$2,000   =  RMB  16,000    and  was  prepared  to  pay that  much  - and   very  often  did     pay that  much  except  for the  rare  bargains  I     bought  in  various    shops   which did  not  realize    the  true  value  of the   bottles  they  had   (hence  my  two micro  calligraphy   bottles  by  Yi  Ding/  Nie Lei   which  I  picked    for a  song and a  dance  - and  much admired  by Joey  -    but  I  had  to  buy a  fake-signed  "Wang  Baichuan"   bottle as  part of the  deal )

I also    accidentally  bought     quite a  lot  of definite  fakes   (I mean  fake  signing  off )  which  nonetheless  are  actually  quite  beautiful . So sad  that  I will  never   actually   find  out  who  the real  artists   were.

But  in  so  doing  I  actually  have  also  put  our  dearest   friends   Jill  Guo Jie  and  Li  Hui  out  of   their  VMIPB   business  because  US$2,000    will   now   buy a  fully   provenanced   Middle  Period  bottle  (my  single  only Middle  Period  bottle  by  Yan  Yutian  I bought  for   less  than  US$2K    from a   top  HK  dealer  -  who  coincidentally  was  at  BJ  last week )   

I   now  understand  that  Jill and  Li  Hui mainly  deal  in  antique  bottles   which  they   know    well  enough  about to  buy  at  US  auctions  on-line   and then  re-sell  in China   at some  fair  profit (I do  know  their  net  profit  margins  on  VMIPBs  and they  are  wafer  thin ) 

Fact  is that  Western  buyers  will  not  pay  much  more  than  US$ 1- 2 K  for    a   work  by a  modern  artist  because   99%  of    western collectors  have  no  real  eye  for    art    

As  far as  I can  ascertain the  majority  of  VMIPBs   by   famous   living  artists  are  now   sold  to  Chinese collectors   who   are well aware  of the  various  scams    and   thus  avoid them,  even  though  they have  very deep  pockets  and  can  easily  afford  to pay  prices   well  into  the  US$  several tens of  thousands   for    genuine  bottles  by  genuine    top-ranked  artists.

I  even  saw  that   some  top artists  have  been  buying  back their  bottles  and  then  re-selling  them  at 10x  the   prices 

There's  one  tiny  VMIPB  now  on sale  in  HK   at  CAC  for    HK$1  million   -  presumably  on the  off  chance  that a  super   rich   but  ignorant  tourist    may  buy  it  "because  if the  price  tag is  HK$1  million  it must be  genuine"  ! 

99%  (OK  90% !) of  Western  collectors  only  buy  for  investment   value  and  so they  only  trust   legitimate  dealers  like  Clare  and  Michael  Chu    who can  vouch  for  provenance  -  which means  ultimate re-sale  value, thus    true  investment  value.

How  else   did  Hugh  Moss  become  so  rich  that he  can bid  US$  millions  to  buy  back the  bottles  that  he  once  bought  for  George  Bloch  ? 

When  my   humble  collection   was only 12  bottles   Clare Chu visited  my  home  and   exclaimed  that  I  was  THE  first   collector  she  ever  met  who  bought   for  pure  LOVE.

Since then  I  consistently  bought  for  LOVE, and  in  so  doing  accidentally  bought a  lot  of  bottles    painted  by  Zhang  Limin   which  Da  Yong  had  carelessly   signed  of    as    Jiang Hua  ( and  once  even    as  Liu  Jiang Hua !)

I called   DY this  evening  and   challenged  him on the   great   S'Pore   Liu  Jianghua  scam  - and  he  confessed

I  even  have a  "Da  Yong"  bottle  bought  via  David  Osborne   for  US$475.50   which  DY   sold  to  WXS  and   WXS   signed  off on it as  a  genuine  DY  bottle 

Would  you  care to  buy  it  from  me @ US$475  ?    " A genuine  DY"

Postage free ! 

When I  found  out  that   Chinese  Arts and  Crafts   in HK   took a  66%  commission  on any bottle  they  sold  me  I  went  back and  paid the   artists  in Hengshui   a  fair  price    in  recompense 

When I  discovered  one  Grand  Master ahead  of  time  I  paid  him what  for  me  was a  vast  fortune   for  half a  dozen  of  his best bottles    and  he  was  astounded   at  my   price  which was far  more than  he  ever  expected. Now  even  just  one  of  his   worst  bottles is  on sale  at  WXS's    Hengshui   shop  at  more than  I  paid  for   half a    dozen   of  his  very  best  bottles  (and    WXS  shop  prices  are  the  real  thing  -  no hidden  mark ups  there)

Did  I  buy  for  investment ?  Did  I  cheat  him ?   Would I ever  re-sell  any  of the  bottles    for  profit ? 
NO  to all  three  questions

In  fact  the  only  bottle  I ever  resold  was  a   WXS  bottle   which was  up  for  action    at the   first  Bloch  Bonhams  sale.  Everyone  in the   auction   room   knew  I  wanted to  own  just  one  real   WXS  bottle    as  a  kind  of    tribute  the  Greatest   of  Greatest  Masters      so  no-one  bid  in the   auction   room .  There  was  only  one  other  bidder  who was  on-line    from Singapore    and finally  I  won -  I  think  because  I  was   wildly    waving  my  bidding  paddle    and  so   whoever  was    handling  the  on-line  bidding  told   the    Singapore  customer  that  "there's  crazy   western  man   here who  won't   give  up"

Imagine  my  total  surprise  to  find  out much  later   that  it  was  in fact  my  best friend   Yeo  Konghoo   who   was  bidding  against  me! 

Yeo has   taught me  more than  anyone   about  IPBs  ( and the   SCAMs)   

When I  saw   Yeo's  amazing  collection  of  WXS  bottles  (one for  every  year that  WXS  painted)   I  offered  my  bottle   back to him  at exactly    what I  paid  Bonhams   because   I  knew  it   rightfully  belonged  in  his  collection, not  mine. 

It  later   turned  out  to  be  one  of the  most  important   of   WXS  bottles  ever  painted  and  was  featured    in  a  major  publication   about  WXS's   epic   works . 

I  don't   regret  for a   single   moment  selling  it  to  Yeo  for   zero  profit   even  though  I  could  have   asked    twice  or  three  times  the  price - which  I'm  sure  he  could  happily  have  paid .  Because  I  value   my  friendship  with  Yeo  beyond  all  possible  words  and the  bottle   does    rightly   belong  in his  collection, not mine     

Yes  - I feel   deeply for  the   artists  in   China  and  their  low  incomes.  I  have  tried  to   support  several  of them   and  my   2 x  ICSBS  articles  will, I  hope,  help  in a  small  way    to  promote   REAL   art  inside a  bottle

But  I  tell  you  that  those  bottles   DY  entrusted  to  you  were  never  painted  by  him

I   visited  DY's  home a  couple  of  times  -  it is  HUGE  - a    6,000   sq  foot palace  (and that's  just one of  his  homes)

Meanwhile    Hu Xiaoran's "studio"  is his    garage  in the  basement  of  his   block   with   only    dim   artificial  light  and   Sun Honglin's  studio is a    dusty  desk  inside a   dusty window  in an  even  dustier    apartment

I  do like   DY  and  we   will  always  be  friends  -  but  please   don't  plead  that  his  eyesight is  failing  at   mid  40s 

Some of  the most   expert  and    minutely  detailed    bottles  I  ever  bought  were  by  Li  Shouxun   who  is  much older  than  DY

I  am not  sure  if  you  ever    got a  copy  of  my  DB   but  if  not  then  you really  do need  to  buy a  copy

US$ 500   and  I  will  even  throw  in the   fake  DY  bottle   which I now  hate ! 

Hard  words   -  yes  !  But we  need  hard  words  on these  issues 

The  last  bottle  you  posted  - the  black and  white   "Huang Shan"   landscape    was painted    by  a    junior  student   :  a  copy  of  one of  Sun  Honglin's    special   style - and  not  even a  good  copy  at  that.

I  once  bought a  much  better   copy  of  Sun Honglin's   style  for  RMB 360  at  WXS's   shop  in  Hengshui

RMB  50,000 ?    More  like   RMB 500    (of  which  most  would  be  the  actual  blank  bottle)

Last  time  I  visited   Hengshui  in  May  2014    I  saw   ( and  even  photographed)   3   different artists'   copies of  Fu  Guoshun's   signature   works.    Each   bottle was    signed   with the  real  artist's  name   - all  Ji  School   junior  artists    that  I  never  heard  of  before  -     so there  was  no  attempt  to  pass  off  the  bottles  as  really  by  FGS   (The  only real  FGS  bottle  was on  private  sale  in the  VIP   showroom   at  10 x  the  price  of the  best  knock off   copy-styles  -  it  was  actually  the  highest  price   bottle  in the   whole  private   show  room  -  about  US$ 30,000)

The   real  tragedy  of  all  this   is  not    scams  per  se  .   It's  the  fact  that  no-one   will  ever  trust a   DY    signed   bottle  again  for  all  his  life  -  or  at least  till this  thread  is  long  since   forgotten  in  cyberspace  -  or  until  he   assumes  a new  pen name

I have  counted  up  to   6  pen names   for   some   artists. Even  WXS's  name  is  not  his real  name  ! 

But cyberspace   has  nasty  habit  of  living forever    and  I now  deeply  regret the  fact  that  I endorsed   DY  in the  closing  words  of  my  part 2  ICSBS   article  -  now  in the   side bar 

Cheers

Peter

* P269(A).jpg (306.5 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 38 times.)

* P269(B).jpg (348.29 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 40 times.)

* P159(A).jpg (298.01 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 34 times.)

* P159(B).jpg (303.16 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 35 times.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:21:41 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: