About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:49:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Looking for a copy..

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a copy..  (Read 2206 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 18, 2015, 06:05:38 am »

I do not read Chinese, but believe this catalog is about the Ye family..

May have been an event at the Capital Museum ?  Just not sure..

If I am correct, does someone know how to get a copy ..

* yefamily.jpg (205.38 KB, 607x852 - viewed 49 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 10:13:08 am »

Dear George,

This is a very recent Ye ZhongSan 70th anniversary exhibition catalogue to promote Jing school inside painting.
Date is from 12-21 September 2015 BeiJing.

No idea where to get a copy though.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:49 am »

Thank you so much YT... That is a big help !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:22:59 am »

You are welcome  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:51:24 am »

Dear George et al,

Jill Guo Jie and Li Hui assisted in the production of the show and catalogue. I will ask them where to get copies.
Best to all,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »

Dear George et al,

Jill Guo Jie and Li Hui assisted in the production of the show and catalogue. I will ask them where to get copies.
Best to all,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Yes, as a matter a fact, they were both in a few photos from the exhibition..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:17:31 pm »

Hi  Folks  ...

You  surely  won't  believe  this    but  I was  actually  THERE and  my   wife   even  got a  copy  of the  catalog  personally   signed   by  Wang  Xisan  and  addressed  to her   ! 

Not  just  THERE  but  I even   wrote the  English  translation  of the  preface   and  was  the  only   Westerner  at the  opening  ceremony  and  was  even  mentioned  by name  in the  list  of  "notables "  attending   ("From England - world famous  snuff  bottle  collector  Dr Peng Da  Li"    Ha  ha  !   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It  all   started  as  bit  of a  mystery  :  Jill   told  me   about the   exhibition   a  couple  of  months  ago  when  she and  Li Hui  came to  stay   with us  at our  second  home  in  China (Wenzhou)  and   asked  if  I  and my wife  would  like to  visit  BJ  to see   the   exhibition.  At the   time  I  did not  give it  much  thought   and  later   forgot  all about  it.

Then  suddenly  out of the  blue  Jill  sent  me  something to translate  into   good   English   "by return  email URGENT -    PLEASE!"   I had  no idea   what it  was  about and it  was   written  in very erudite  Chinese   which made   translation   more  of  an  art  than a  science  (Steven   will  know  what I mean  because  of the   days .... weeks  we  spent  trying to   translate  Wang Guanyu's   introduction    to  Yuan  Shijia) 

Jill  and I   went  through  about  6  or  7  drafts before  she  finally  decided  it  was  OK (or the  publishing deadline  had   passed - or  both)

Next  thing  was  a  phone  call from  Jill out of the  blue    inviting me  and    my wife  to  go to  BJ  last weekend to see the  exhibition,  which  I   somewhat  reluctantly   accepted  little  knowing  what  an epic  we  would  have  missed  had   we  declined.

There  were  back -to -back   dinners  and  lunches  and  the  very first  dinner   on the  evening before  the  exhibition after a  very  long rush hour  traffic  jam  drive  we  arrived   at  a  traditional  restaurant  to  find  ourselves  sitting next to......  Wang Xisan (also his  son  Wang  Ziyong) ,  Liu Shouben  and  Zhang Tieshan   all  at  one  single table *. 

I  kid  you  NOT !   Talk about sitting  with  Royalty !  (Glad that  my  Mandarin was  up to scratch)

It   turns  out that  the  Jing  School  is  being  revived  with  a  lot of  support  from the  Bejing  municipal  government    and  that  Li  Hui and  Jill  were   asked  to  organize the   exhibition as   the kick-start   event.
Apparently   there   will  be  some  new  students  enrolled  in   a  special  School   soon to be   formed  -  presumably   with    Liu  Shouben's   support.

WXS and  LSB    left  after the  day  1   festivities    but  Zhang Tieshan   stayed   on for a  couple  of  days   and  joined  us  on  our  last evening   in what  was  probably  one of   THE best  / most  fun  meals  I ever  had  in  BJ  :  a  kind  of  open  air   roasted  lamb  eatery   which   was  joined   by a  young  couple  (Tommy and  Monika)  who  it  seems   were  the  last   ever  Jing  School  artists of the previous  generation,  before  they  resigned   from the  Jing  School  and   went into  other  business 

I  joked  with  Zhang  Tieshan    as  we  went to the   loo  together   after  one too many  beers  :  "Do  I know  Master  Zhang Tieshan,  Grand  Master  of  the  Qin  School ?  Yes  of course  I know  him !  We  even  pissed  together ! " )   

Joking aside  -  I  have  had  more   fun  through  meeting  people  :  fellow  collectors (Singapore!) ,   artists (Hengshui !)  ....whatever   than I ever  had    in  actually  collecting  bottles.

That's  REAL   life  !

China  is  WONDERFUL ! 

I  have  loads  of  pics   from last  weekend  - far too  many  to  even  begin to  post  on the  Forum

Li Hui   told  me  he  can send me a  soft  copy  of the  catalog  which  I  will  eventually   include  in  my  DB

The  only sad  thing   about the   whole  exhibition   was that  the  lighting  in the  museum was   so  dim  that  it  was  almost  impossible  to see the  bottles  clearly  behind the  thick  panes  of  glass

Cheers

Peter

* STEVEN  :  It  was  at that   dinner  that  I  took  Wang  Ziyong aside  and  agreed  that  we ( me,  Wang Ziyong,  Wang Xisan ,  Jill  and  Li Hui   ....)    would "somehow"  publish  my  2  -  part  ICSBS  article  in Chinese   throughout  China.  ICSBS  copyright  issues  be  damned !

Particularly  because deep  inside the article towards  the  end  of  Part 1   is the  greatest  compliment  I  can ever give  to  Wang  Xisan  :  his real    gift  to  us is  not  his  own  personally- painted  works

It  is  his   generations  and   their  generations  of generations   students 

Please   just  make a   free-flowing   easy-reading   translation  of  my  2 - part  articles.  It  does  not  have  to be  a  "literal"   translation .  I just  want  the  "feeling"  to be  passed  on  and I  cannot  think  of  anyone  better  than  you  to  do  so,  with  great  respect and many thanks     Cheesy

Eventually  -  if  George   agrees  and  it  can be  done  technically  -   I would  like the   article   in both English and  Chinese  to be  some  how  pinned   into the   Forum  side  bar as a   permanent  link  -  a  bit  like  Wikipedia   -  so it  will  outlive  me  in  cyberspace  when  I  am just  a  small  urn  of  ashes  in a  mountain side  near  Wenzhou

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:02:08 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 09:18:43 am »

Great post Peter !  What an amazing story.

As usual you are rightfully always in the mix with both the elite Master, and student artists..

Your amazing my friend..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:58:18 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 09:50:46 am »

Hi  George

Yes  it  was   a  truly  amazing weekend  in BJ  !

Especially  pissing  side by side with  Zhang  Tieshan !  We  laughed  ourselves   silly  over  that !

And  the silliest   thing  of  all   was I  almost  passed  on  Jill's  invitation  to  go  to  BJ  with  my  wife  because I was  so  comfortable  at  our  second  home  near  Wenzhou  and   riding  my new mountain  bike   every  day.   I really  did  not   want to  go to  BJ  for a   weekend    just for a    "silly"  exhibition 

I  only "reluctantly"  agreed  that  we  would  go  to  BJ  just  to give  Jill  and  Li Hui  "face"  because  we  are   true  family friends    and we  have    made  a  couple  of  Europe  holidays   together 

Can  you  imagine  my   total  shock  when  we   arrived   at the   first  restaurant  on the   evening before  the   exhibition  opening     and  the  single  only  other   guests    who  had  arrived  by that time   were   WXS  (now  with  white  hair)   and  his    son  -  WZY  ? !!!! 

How  totally   stoooopid  can one  be  ?

Me !

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:18 am »

Dear George,

While I agree with most of your sentiments, in the 'pissing' department I defer to your (and ANYONE else's!) prior claim. Even post facto.  Roll Eyes Grin
     Never thought I'd be the one writing TMI (Too much Information)!
Gentlemen, please remember that there are lady members, and those whose  sensitive natures and cultural mores might be offended by such comments or anecdotes.

Best to all, with NONE of whom I intend to be sharing intimate physical acts!
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Great post Peter !  What an amazing story.

As usual you are rightfully always in the mix with both the elite Master, and student artists..

Your amazing my friend..

It would be an honor to piss with you any day of the week !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 10:00:57 am »

Hi   Joey

There's a    well-known  HK  columnist    called  Nury   Vittachi     whom  I   happen to know  very  well

Check  out    The Curious Diary of Mr Jam
mrjam.typepad.com/
A column by author Nury Vittachi, AKA Mr Jam, The Spice Trader, Mr Lai See etc.

I  once  joked   with  Nury   how  strange  it  is that   girls   always  go  the   loo   together   but  guys  never  do so

So  one  day  he  told  me   he  was    with  a big  group  of  mixed  friends      and  then    stood  up  and  asked  the  male  members  present  if they   would  like to  accompany  him to  the  loo

He  said  you   could  have dropped a  penny    and it  would  have  been  heard  in the  deathly  silence.....

Zhang  Tieshan  and  I really  laughed   ourselves  silly as  we  pissed    side  by  side  ! 

That  one  moment  in  time   was  worth a  lifetime  of  collecting    VMIPBs 

Of   such  golden  moments     are our  lives   so  defined ! 

Cheers

Peter

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:12:09 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 10:17:23 am »

Dear Peter,

You are sh***ing me! Wow! I'm impressed.
But I still don't like to read about people describing voiding bladders alone or in groups, etc. I guess it is a squeamish Asperger's thing. Sorry.

But to get back to Mr. Vittachy:
I LOVE his Fengshui Detective books. When I return to Hong Kong in Feb., G-D Willing, I would love to have the two of you, and him and his wife, to dinner or lunch at the Shangrila Kowloon (I love the harbour view rooms there, so I plan to stay there again; and all their restaurants are great - Chinese, Japanese and Italian).
I've read all I could get on my KINDLE:     
    The Feng Shui Detective (2000)
    The Feng Shui Detective Goes South (2002)
    The Feng Shui Detective’s Casebook (2003)
    Mr Wong Goes West (2008)
For some reason, this isn't on KINDLE:
 The Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics (2006)
Best,
Joey

Hi   Joey

There's a    HK  columnist    called  Nury   Vittachi     whom  I   happen to know  very  well

Check  out   
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 10:51:44 am »

Dear Peter,

Oddest thing. I quoted what I could see of your message about Nuri Vittachy. When I went to send you a pm, I saw that there was a whole lot more to the message! (I'd not really understood before why what you'd written about NV was an answer to my posts about squeamishness re. human waste removal; now I do.)
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »

Hi  Joey

NV  is  is  just  one  helluva     guy  (also marathon  runner)

He  was  actually  born  in  Sri  Lankla  of  mixed  (and  I  mean   very    MIXED  parentage     even  religion-wise   -      Bhuddist  /  Muslim  if  I  recall   correctly) 

Then   he  went  to  UK  for  schooling  - hence  his  impeccable  English

Now  married   to a   HK - resident   Western  lady  and  3  ( 4?)   adopted   Chinese     kids

Can  you  possibly  imagine a  more   eclectic  mixture  of   cross   cultures  ?    We  often  exchange  private  emails     laughing  at everyone   nem  com   -  including  our    stupid  and   silly  selves

Joey  :  you  and  I    are  both  wonderful  jokes    human-wise  (Aspergers  aside) 

Isn't that  so  wonderful ?

I always  say  that  the  English  have  three   totally  great   qualities :

1.  The  food  is  always  better  abroad  (especially  in  France -which  conveniently   explains  the  British   Empire - the  Jews  have  nothing  on that  -    what   Kosher   BS  !  )   

2.  The    weather  is  always  better  abroad . 

One  only  needs   to   log  into  BBC   world  service  to  prove  that ! 

3.  We  are  the   ONLY  people  in the   world    who can  truly  laugh  at  our   silly  selves,  because  if  we  don't  laugh  at  ourselves   we  would   surely  die     

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Love  and Cheers

Peter 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:18:42 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 04:19:22 am »

One of my favorite bottles that have seen so far from within the exhibition/catalog  ..

* 003.JPG (287.05 KB, 902x760 - viewed 56 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 05:41:38 am »

Very cleverly done bottle... Nice ! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 08:25:58 am »

Very cleverly done bottle... Nice ! Wink

I agree 100%. Not just clever.............ingenious!
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 02:32:05 pm »

WOW! That is amazing! I love the idea of above and below the water's surface.
Brilliant! This is in the Ye Family catalogue, George?
How did you access the pictures?
Joey

One of my favorite bottles that have seen so far from within the exhibition/catalog  ..

Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »

We all agree the painting is very cleverly done in a unique way.

However that could be a Liu shouben scam , the bottle is painted in 2012, and Its questionable if Liu shouben can still paint the bottle or just sign the signature in 2012.Smiley

The painting itself is nothing outstanding, I have seen a quite few of similar themes painted by new generation students, nothing less than this painting if it is not better.( look closer on the feather of the ducks, and water ripple, which is not that impressive to me)

I would doubt those old masters are still paint those old themes with old techniques.

Steven
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:25:50 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »

Dear Steven,

You are right, of course. But I still admire the use of a pale beige and yellowish brown agate or chalcedony bottle used in this way, so one can see what is going on both above and below the water's surface.

I did not look carefully at the quality of the painting, nor try to read the signature.
Thanks for 'keeping us honest',
Joey

We all agree the painting is very cleverly done in a unique way.

However that could be a Liu shouben scam , the bottle is painted in 2012, and Its questionable if Liu shouben can still paint the bottle or just sign the signature in 2012.Smiley

The painting itself is nothing outstanding, I have seen a quite few of similar themes painted by new generation students, nothing less than this painting if it is not better.( look closer on the feather of the ducks, and water ripple, which is not that impressive to me)

I would doubt those old masters are still paint those old themes with old techniques.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: