About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:37:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The Ultimate Data Base of MIPB Artists

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ultimate Data Base of MIPB Artists  (Read 925 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: September 17, 2015, 11:30:30 pm »

Hello  All,

George :  Pls  pin  this  !

It's  been a  long   while   since  I mentioned  this,  but  when  I  started  to  seriously   collect  MIPBs   (Modern Inside Painted Bottles)   I   needed  a   way  to    navigate  through  the  "jungle"  of  artist  names  / pen names  /    fake  names  /  whatever 

(YES :  even  some   top  MIPB   artists  have  signed  off  across  their  students'  works,  sorry to  say)

I   started   with  downloading    every  pic  on  Bill  Patrick's   amazing  website   www.snuffbottlecollector.com

That  took me  about  3  weeks  of   night times   at  those   early  days  of  slow  internet   speeds   ten  years  ago  :   3 mbps   ....

But  I  enjoyed   watching  every  pic  as  it  slowly  opened  up ,  bar  by  bar   

Later  I  supplied  Bill   with  all   my  CIPMA  scans  and  the   correct  Pin Yin  and  Chinese characters   of  the   artists  on his  website

So  you  could  -  in a  very  mild  sense  -  say  it's a  joint  website  (although  the  bulk  of the   work  was  of course  done  by  Bill )

But  then  I  went  on  to   download  every   website,  buy  and  scan   every  book  I could  get  my  hands  on, and  then  the  Forum  burst  into  being  so  I  diligently   downloaded  every  pic  ever  posted  on the  Forum

Every  pic,  every  bottle  has  been  filed  into my  Data  Base   which  is  encoded  both by  Pin Yin and  Chinese   character    artist  names

12  GB  !     4,000  hours  of  work

It's  the  Encyclopaedia   Britannica    of  MIPBs 

I recall  that  I sent  earlier copies  of the  DB  to  both  George  and  Pat   so they  can  vouch  for  the   veracity  of  all  this

I  initially  offered  free   copies  of  my  DB  to  anyone   who  bothered  to send  me a  blank  USB  stick

But  then  USB  sticks  became   so  cheap  and  I  realized  that  to  offer  such  a  huge  amount  of  work  for   free  actually  belittled   the  offer  (would  you  buy  a  "free"   Kindle  book  for  US$ 0.1 ?  There  must  be a  dodge there  -  "too  good  to be  true"  ) 

So  I  set a   fixed  price  of  US$500   per  copy   and that price  still  stands  for  all  Forum  members  (although  the  cost  of    all the  books  I  have  bought   and  laboriously  scanned  is  probably  well  over  US$2,000 ) 

The   DB  is    just a  huge  load  of  files  -  one  file  per  artist. Every  file  is  encoded   with the  source  material  (e.g.  'B'  =  Bill  Patrick's   website,  'C'  =  CIPMA ,  'L"  =  J. H.  Leung's  "A  New  Look of  Modern Inside  Painted   Bottles  - both  English and  Chinese   versions  ......   etc )

No  viruses  and   you  are  free  to  use the   DB  as your  own  core  DB  - and  even   sell it  on !

Sounds   too  good  to be  true ? 

It  really    IS     too  good  to be  true,  but  I want  some  copies  out  there   for  posterity  in  good  and safe / loving   hands    so  it  can become  part  of the  MIPB  heritage  in  common  ownership,  just like  Wikipedia (and  Youtube  for  video )    is   for  us  all   

I  wanted  to  mount  it onto  Cloud,  but    either  Cloud  or  my  outdated   Windows  version  refused  to  accept  such a  huge    DB  upload in  file  format.

If  you   wish to  buy  the  latest  copy   of   my  DB   please  email  me  via  my address   which  you can  find  on the   Forum   members  registry

GEORGE :  I   will   send  you the  latest   copy on   USB .  Just   send  me  your  postal   address  by  private  email    and  if   you  can  find a  way  to  cache 12  GB  somewhere   safe  but  freely   accessible forever -  after   then please   do   so

Cheers

Peter

* ARTIST SOURCE REFERENCE CODES (Rev 15.3.2014).doc (84 KB - downloaded 45 times.)

* Data Base Screen Capture (14.5.2014) .jpg (146.71 KB, 1000x768 - viewed 93 times.)

* Data Base - Song Yimg.jpg (138.34 KB, 960x768 - viewed 76 times.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:25:45 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:34:19 am »

That would be a great Peter...

I know can not get 12 GB cached on the forum.. I will have to find some outside hosting source..

Very exciting work !!
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:51 am »

Congrats Peter for finally finishing this phase of your database.
It is a never ending affair as informations keep popping up and I fully appreciate the hardwork put in.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:36:57 am »

Hi  George  (and  any  others   following  this  now-pinned /  Thread)

J.H. Leung  (Liang  Zhong Xin)  did  his  bit  to  propagate    the  message  of  Very  Modern  Inside  Painted  (Snuff) Bottles =  VMIPBs   in his  time  (early  1990s)

His  landmark  book  is still   - and  always  will   remain  to be  -   the  Old  Testament  (OT)  of  VMIPBs    and  copies   can  still   (occasionally)  be  bought  on  second   hand  book   websites  -  current  value    around  US$200    (note  that  there are   two   versions  -  Chinese  and   English  -   the  English  version  was  published   later  and  includes   some  extra  stuff)

The  New  Testament  (NT)  is  CIPMA  -  Chinese  Inside  Painting  of the  Modern  Age edited  by  Wang  Xisan

Copies  of  CIPMA are   still   freely  available  on  second hand  book   sites   and I   still  have  a  couple  of  spare  copies   stashed  c/o  Bill  Patrick  

All those  books   are   scanned  and  encoded  in my  DB    artist-by- artist  

So  is  my  DB  the  Apocrypha ?  Or   "Revelation"  as  per  Peter   rather   than  per  John

I  don't  give  a  flying  f**k    but I do  want  to make   sure    that  2  years  of  my  life    was  not  wasted   and  will   somehow  be  passed  on  in case  I  fall  under a  bus  tomorrow

Cheers

Peter

PS  :  Pin,  YT,   Pat ,  all  Real  Friends   on  the   Forum  ....  email  me   direct   your  postal  address en  claire    and  you  will  get the  latest  version  of  my  DB  for  free on  USB  stick .

I  was almost  killed last week  in a  cycling  accident  in  China   so  I  am  suddenly  aware  of  my  mortality!   

PPS :  George  -  got  it  !    You  are  No 1  on  my  list   and  I  hope   somehow  you can  find  a  way to  cache  12  GB   for  posterity 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:55:03 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:04:18 am »

Hi All

I  freely admit that  that the  last  posting  I was  written  in a  somewhat  emotional  mood (but  so  would  you have  written  having  nearly  been run  over  in China by a   wild  motor  cyclist!)

But  seriously,  I do  need  at least a  couple  of  friends  on the  Forum  to  whom I  will send  updated  versions  of  my  DB  every  year  on  USB  stick  so  that  in the  event  that  I fall  under a  bus ( or  motor bike!)  tomorrow  there  will  be a  couple  of  copies   in  safe  hands,  which it  will  up to the  recipients  to  handle  responsibly

George of  course  should  and  will be one  recipient, but  George  is  almost as old as  me  ( !)
Who will  pre-decease  who ?

Steven  (much  younger)  should  be  another .
Steven  do you  agree, and if  so  would  you please  email me  you  latest  postal address ?

I ideally  need a  third  volunteer :  someone  with  very good  computer  skills  and  still  a  lot  of  years  running  time  under the engine  hood .....someone  who  is  genuinely  interested  in  researching and  archiving  all the   MIPB  artists  and their  works

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »

Thanks Peter!

I will take the offer, :)will send my postal address via the message. 

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: