About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 09:14:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Traditional Landscape IP Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Traditional Landscape IP Bottle  (Read 1043 times)
RW

« on: September 05, 2015, 10:28:17 am »

This was recently acquired, I cant interpret calligraphy, and I only purchase what I like of the strengths in painting techniques for my IP collection, rather than say by the artist or school.
I  was taken in by this one for the color range and the highlighting and fading techniques used in the details
Your comments are always greatly appreciated. A translation of the calligraphy, and knowing the name of the artist and studio would also be very helpful

Kindest regards

Kevin

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:58:39 am by RW » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:02:19 am »

Like this one very much Kevin.  Will let one of our Chinese speaking members help with translating, but I don't think there is a date..

I like traditionally painted landscape scenes very much ..

Very nice bottle Kevin !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
RW

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:49:25 am »

Many thanks George
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:22:22 pm »

I looked, but am just not able to match up the signature to any artists I have comparisons for..

Hopefully someone will be able to decipher that for you, and also the adjoining script.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
RW

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:06:05 am »

Thank you George, I appreciate the effort  Smiley

I am very glad to have this one, so whether it was done by a well known artist or not does not matter in terms of what it would mean in my collection. The details are all there, and this bottle shows why I seem to appreciate IP's done in this style more than say with some portraits.  I believe the artist is a very good one. But, it would be important to me to be able to give credit to that person by name in the conversation, and more to come
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:34:07 pm »

Yes, I also believe it was painted by a very good artist..  Far better than any student.

It really does have outstanding detailing !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 11:17:07 am »

Hi Kevin,

Congratulations!, Nice bottle.

There is no signature in the inscription, But from the seal" 为东" Wei Dong , I assume that artist could be Sun Weidong.

Also the other seal on the reverse side also look like the last name of the artist " Sun".

http://snuffbottlecollector.com/sun_weidong/sun_weidong_0.htm

When you look at the landscape bottle on the right side, you might see some similarity.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

RW

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »

Steven,
 Hello

Fantastic, many thanks to you for your assistance in helping me to identify the artist, important for many conversations to come about the bottle. Yes, it is a nice one, my background with snuff bottles has mostly been in the area of carved pieces, stone and glass but I am quickly becoming a devotee to the IP's

Best wishes
Kevin
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 07:32:47 pm »

Hi  Kevin,

Congratulations  on this  lovely  landscape  bottle. 

How and  when  did you  buy  it?

It  could  indeed  by  Sun Weidong, as  Steven  suggests.

He  is  a  rather  obscure  artist  from the  Lu (Shandong)  School

The  link  that Steven  sent  you  is to  Bill  Patrick's   website, and the  scan  there  was  in fact made  by me   and  sent to Bill

It  was  taken  from  CIPMA (Chinese  Inside Painting  of the  Modern Age)  which is  THE bible  for  VMIPBs.

But  that  scan is  literally   the only record  I have  of  Sun  Weidong's  works in my data  base

His  art (pen) name  is  Le Shan 乐 山

You  are  quite   right to  judge  VMIPB  Chinese landscape  bottles   based  purely  on what  you  consider to be  artistic  merit and  inherent  beauty. That's  how and  why  I built my  collection  of  over  300  Chinese landscape VMIPBs.
I can  enjoy them  regardless  of  who  painted  them because  every  one is  beautiful (I regard  portraits  and  other  themes  like  animals,  birds, flowers  etc  more  as  examples  of  technical  inside painting  skill,  rather than  just pure  beauty)

Eventually  if you  collect more  Chinese  landscapes  you  will  find that  you have  some  by  quite  famous  artists, as  has  also  been  my experience

Good  luck and  happy collecting

Peter  @ Hong Kong
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:58 pm »

Hi Kevin and all :

This bottle is drawn in the style of a Qing landscape painter 樊圻..... (you can copy the name and google it to have a look at his other paintings)....

樊圻, Fan Qi (Fan Ch'i, traditional: 樊圻, simplified: 樊圻; 1616–1694); was a Chinese landscape painter during the Qing Dynasty (1644–1912), one of the Eight Masters of Nanjing. His specific years of birth and death are unknown.

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

RW

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 05:36:10 am »

Hi Peter, Pin

I thank each of you for lending your expertise here to help me understand more of this IP.

Pin,
 I very much appreciate your sharing your research here. Viewing the online images of the works by the artist you mentioned, brought me back a few years to a favorite exhibit of mine on Chinese landscape scroll painting which was over at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. The beautiful images with verses in calligraphy below them from many earlier dynasties, gave me the inspiration to collect the landscape IP's. 

Peter,
Very grateful thank you. After a quick look around online, I found an online copy of CIPMA, but will try further to obtain a paper copy

The bottle came from Kodner Auctioneers, Aug 16th - the estate of Wally and Cooky(e) Kaufman sale. There were only 2 snuff bottles in the sale I believe, another landscape bottle was in a separate lot, which I didn't like as much as this one, perhaps on a better look with that bottle in my hand I might feel otherwise about it, so I only bid on this one

Best regards

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:40:28 am by Kevin » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 03:01:08 pm »

Hi  Kevin,

CIPMA  is  essential  reading ! 

I  think  that  Bill  Patrick  is  still  holding  at least 1  x  copy  of  CIPMA  in trust  for  me (I  bought  several copies  from a  Canadian  dealer  a  couple  of  years  ago  and had them shipped to Bill)

His  email  is  on his  website www.snuffbottlecollector.com  ( I think  it's bpatrick@snuffbottlecollector.com )

Send  him an  email  to ask  if that's  so.  If  so  you need  to pay me for the  book  and  Bill for the  postage, both by  Paypal

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

RW

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:08:53 pm »

Hi Peter

Understood, many thanks for the follow-up. I will reach out to him

Best Kevin
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »

Hi  Kevin

OK.  I leave  you  to  contact  Bill  direct

You  should  also   study  his  website  in  detail.

BTW  :  how  much  did you  pay for the  bottle as a  matter  of  interest?

Many  Chinese  landscape  MIPBs  are  either based  on -or  even directly  copied  from  -  traditional  Chinese  paintings

This  makes  for   some  beautiful  bottles , but  not  very  original

It  was  only  in the  past  20 - odd  years  that  VMIPB  artists  have  started to  develop  their  own  painting  styles and themes   - see  my  forthcoming   article  part  2  in  the  ICSBS  Autumn  journal, which I will eventually  post  here  on the  Forum  after it's  in  print

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

RW

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 07:05:42 pm »

Very good Peter
  I look forward to seeing your article Smiley thanks for the advice.  I plan to do much research on the topic, and will include his site for my studies

Many thanks again

Kevin
 (I was the only bidder- $50 + fees & shipping, less than $100 total)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

Hi Kevin

Wow  $50 !  That  was a  real  bargain !

Regardless  of  who  painted  it  it's  worth  at least  $300.

PIN/ STEVEN :  Can  you  make out  what year  it  was  painted ?

BTW  :  Kevin -  you   also  need  to  get  a  copy  of   J. H. Leung's  "A New  Look of  Inside Painted  Snuff Bottles"

It's  usually possible  to  buy   from  2nd  hand  old  books    websites -  check  on the  internet. Last  time  I snapped  up  a  couple of  copies  they  were  about  $200  -250  each.  make  sure you  get the English  version (there's  both  Chinese and English  versions -  the  English  one  was  published  later)

When  you  have  progressed   with your  research  you  may consider to buy a  copy  of  my  data  base. About  12  GB.  1000 x  MIPB  artists  etc All the  important  books   scanned and  catalogued by artist . 

But  to  get it  now   would  not  help  you  :  it  would  be like  buying  Encyclopaedia   Britannica when  you  have  only  just  started to read.  It's  best to  do  one's  own research for a  while  before   getting into  reference  books.

Happy  researching !

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 08:00:12 pm »

PIN/ STEVEN :  Can  you  make out  what year  it  was  painted ?

Hi Peter,

This bottle was painted in 1989 (Ji si ).

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: