About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:50:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

White Stone Snuff Bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: White Stone Snuff Bottle  (Read 1105 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:02 am »

Hi Ess,

There is no name for Couplet, the Couplet was written on the two separately columns in the house of Ding Baozhen, and the house is still there located in Hangzhou City China. Which now is a well known tourist site.

When I look close to the bottle, there are four characters incised on the right side, which should be " jia zhi xia yue" which can be translated in" incised in 1924 or 1864" I really don't know which one is the correct one, both are  possible. If I have to choose one, it will be 1924, the way the inscription on goat side reminds me the inscription on inside painting bottle in early 19th C.

BTW , I like the inscriptions, and how its executed, I think its well done.

Steven   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:39:37 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Ess
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 01:15:17 am »

I have enclosed a further three photos showing enhanced details of from the main inscription side of the bottle.  Because of the low contrast I have used the glare from the light to try to highlight the characters.  Of particular interest are the smaller characters to the far left and far right of the main body of text in the middle.

* left.JPG (997.02 KB, 2136x2816 - viewed 37 times.)

* middle.JPG (746.42 KB, 1712x2324 - viewed 40 times.)

* right.JPG (680.64 KB, 1584x2416 - viewed 56 times.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:18:35 am by Ess » Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 01:58:12 am »

Yes, my guess was about right , the inscription is well done, and the date should be 1924 or 1864. I even can see the craftman's signature incised on the left side"莜竹刻“which means " incised by You zhu", but can't find any info with this name.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Ess
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 05:09:30 am »

Thank you all for all your comments in helping me research this bottle.  I feel like I have already caught the snuff bottle bug!

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or has seen similar bottles with similar inscription/landscape combinations. I have looked though auction results from Christies/Sotheby's/Bonhams and have found similar shaped bottles that date from 18th/19th century but really nothing with this type of inscription. 

Furthermore if anyone has any thoughts or has seen a bottle with the scripting on the upper left corner of the landscape side which apparently reads "仿元人摹法" and roughlu translates to copy of Yuan Dynasty illustration method")

Again all types comments are appreciated!

-Ess
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »

Dear Steven (Ess),

I will be in NYC in Oct. (6-8).
     If you would like, I can look at it and should be able to tell you if I think the bottle is really old (ie., 18th/19th C.) and whether the calligraphy is contemporary with the bottle or added later. From what  the other Steven says (and he is MUCH better than me in judging via the computer screen!) it is at least ca. 1924 and possibly 1864 or even 1804.

I should also be able to tell you if it is nephrite or jadeite. The pink stone stoppers are usually either rose pink tourmaline or rose quartz. The collars (the black piece) used to be onyx, as Pat said, and today are usually vinyl, from old records. But I found a place (25 years ago!) that had flat onyx discs with a hole drilled in the centre; the discs went from a one ml radius to 30 ml radius. Sadly I don't remember where, but it was in the diamond district.

Best,
Joey

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:55:35 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Ess
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 12:28:50 am »

Thanks Joey,

I should be in NYC around that time.  As we get closer to that date send me a message and hopefully we will able to meet up.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: