About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 01:47:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bottles of exceptionally flat shape

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottles of exceptionally flat shape  (Read 3673 times)
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2015, 02:04:50 am »

Dear Joey,

This attached reference is from the Beijing Palace Museum and looks like the same shape and size.
It was also mentioned in Chinese about the bottle's heavy weight.

Cheers,
YT

* Palace museum aventurine.jpg (97.39 KB, 754x446 - viewed 40 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »

Dear YT,

You might want to take any attributions from the Beijing Palace Museum with a grain of salt. 95% of Chinese Art Treasures from Beijing (including that percentage of snuff bottles) were removed to Nanjing ahead of the Japanese invasion; then moved to Chongqing and on to Taipei, and are in the National Palace Museum. All of the bottles now in Beijing were confiscated from Chinese collectors during the Cultural Revolution. Most (about 65-70%) of the 900+ bottles are NOT Imperial. But they attribute ALL to Imperial Workshops or Imperial tribute. A word to the wise.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2015, 11:39:08 pm »

Dear Joey,
    This exactly why, in response to the recent questionnaire sent to all ICSBS members, I asked why they never held a convention in Tapei. Seems such an obvious choice for snuff bottle collectors.
Tom
All best
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2015, 11:29:48 am »

Dear Tom,

Great minds think alike!  I asked the same thing!   Wink Cheesy
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2015, 02:42:45 am »

Dear Joey,

I have noted and will pay more attention to the details from Beijing.

I am in on the idea to hold the convention in Taiwan. There are still a few antique dealers around and the food is just the best.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2015, 03:15:09 am »

Dear YT,

Let's get a group going to push a Taiwan convention a few years from now.

Since there was an East Asia convention (Hong Kong & Xian) in 2014, we go back to the usual round: a central USA/Canada convention this year (Chicago), a western USA/Canada convention in 2016 (LA); and an eastern USA/Canada convention in 2017; and then it's possible in 2018, since our east Asian membership is booming, though it could be considered Europe's 'turn' again.

We also have to take into account that the National Palace Museum in Taipei will hardly put on another major Snuff Bottle exhibition so soon after last year's, though it was quite well received. We will want to have as much to tempt the members as possible.

But it is definitely a great idea.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2015, 06:13:42 am »

Dear Joey,

Yes I'm all for 2018 Taiwan convention.
Then we can arrange for a private viewing in the National Palace Museum.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2015, 08:44:38 am »

Dear YT,

Do you think a private viewing of the snuff bottles and the treasure boxes (every one has at least one or two snuff bottles) can be arranged? That would definitely be a draw. And the restaurant on the 4th floor could be the venue for our lunch that day.

We could have a full day there - arrive at 10:30am,  group A would do 2 hrs. of snuff bottles, then lunch (12:30pm -2:00pm,  and then 2 hrs. of other stuff (furniture, paintings, ceramics, etc.), while Group B would reverse the order. Then an hour in the museum shop or the traditional Garden and back to our hotel. I support the Okura Prestige Hotel as the venue.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it!
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Yes I'm all for 2018 Taiwan convention.
Then we can arrange for a private viewing in the National Palace Museum.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:40 am »

Dear Joey,

This is getting exciting. Everyone will want to be associated with the Palace museum so it shouldn't be difficult to get members to bring along their very best. Just Members from Asia and we can get some of the best bottles in the world.
I remembered you mentioning that Isreal is in West Asia so your Jade collection will really attract if exhibited.
If I am not wrong, Christies has office there too. Can talk to them and Sothebys for some meal sponsorships?

Tours to their arts and cultural village will be fun too.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2015, 10:01:54 am »

Dear YT,
    My Jade collection is in my Irish home, but I'd be willing to bring it to London on my way back to Israel for the High Holy Days, and pick it up there later, on my way from Israel via London to Taipei.
    I was actually thinking of having a special type of exhibition at a European convention - getting a room with security, and a table and chairs, for say 10 guests at a time, and doing the 50-odd bottles in 1 hr., and sharing with the convention attendees that way. I don't know how realistic this is, but it is so much more fun to relate to the bottles one on one with a few others at a time.
Joey

Dear Joey,

This is getting exciting. Everyone will want to be associated with the Palace museum so it shouldn't be difficult to get members to bring along their very best. Just Members from Asia and we can get some of the best bottles in the world.
I remembered you mentioning that Israel is in West Asia so your Jade collection will really attract if exhibited.
If I am not wrong, Christies has office there too. Can talk to them and Sothebys for some meal sponsorships?

Tours to their arts and cultural village will be fun too.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »

Since there was an East Asia convention (Hong Kong & Xian) in 2014, we go back to the usual round: a central USA/Canada convention this year (Chicago), a western USA/Canada convention in 2016 (LA); and an eastern USA/Canada convention in 2017; and then it's possible in 2018, since our east Asian membership is booming, though it could be considered Europe's 'turn' again.

Joey and all,

If I recall correctly at the joint southern and northern California ICSBS meeting this last spring, I seem to recall that the 2017 ICSBS Annual Meeting was going back to London. 

Charll 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:12:55 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2015, 06:46:49 pm »

Dear Charll,

We are referring to 2018. Just suggesting at the moment since there are more buyers from Asia nowadays.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2015, 07:13:22 pm »

We are referring to 2018. Just suggesting at the moment since there are more buyers from Asia nowadays.

YT, Yes I understand and I was just trying to clarify/confirm the 2017 venue location.  I do not think the ICSBS has much in the way of planning for 2018 yet and Taiwan sounds great to me.  Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2015, 07:42:02 pm »

Dear Charll,

I was getting too excited so misread your post.
I vividly heard Berthe talking about a Europe convention during the Hong Kong one, just to be fair to everyone. But John Ford's conversation about a Thanka(multi-million) that he nearly acquire was more interesting.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:07 pm »

Dear Charll,

You may be right. If so, then 2018 would be East Coast USA/Canada, and then West Coast/Centre in 2019, and then in 2020 we could get an East Asia convention. Obviously this is all theoretical.
But we can dream....  Wink
Joey

[/size]

Joey and all,

If I recall correctly at the joint southern and northern California ICSBS meeting this last spring, I seem to recall that the 2017 ICSBS Annual Meeting was going back to London. 

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2015, 07:56:26 pm »

Dear YT,

I believe you meant to write 'members' rather than 'buyers', though your term is also accurate... Roll Eyes

Best,
Joey

Dear Charll,

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »

Dear George,

I just realised that all this theoretical daydreaming re. ICSBS Taipei Convention should be in a separate Thread. Could I impose on you to move all the posts relating to this subject, to such a new thread?
Thanks,
Joey

PS: If it isn't possible, please let me know.
J
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2015, 08:18:47 pm »

Dear YT,

I believe you meant to write 'members' rather than 'buyers', though your term is also accurate... Roll Eyes

Best,
Joey

Dear Charll,

Cheers,
YT
Dear Joey,

Yes both terms sound accurate. If our pitch(for the Taiwan convention) to ICSBS is to encourage more of these buyers to join as member then it will be more solid.

Cheers,
YT
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:32:35 am by YT » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2015, 03:51:32 am »

Dear YT,

I misunderstood. I was looking at already existing Asian members of the ICSBS, while, if I understand correctly, you are referring to all the Asian NON-members who are buying up snuff bottles, and want to use THEM as a 'carrot' to tempt the ICSBS to have the convention; and then the ICSBS will use the Taipei convention to lure in these Asian buyers/collectors.
THAT'S INGENIOUS!
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2015, 04:23:06 am »

My, oh my.
What did I start here by mentioning Taipei for a future convention venue...?  Cheesy

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: