About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:31:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The curse and blessing of HK's dirty air

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The curse and blessing of HK's dirty air  (Read 1448 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:12 pm »

Dear Peter,

Yes I do remember the Song Yiming swimming carp bottle. It is wonderful.
Do you remember that I could not see most of the beauty in your collection because the sheer mass of over 300 snuff bottles overpowered my ability to look?

I needed you to remove bottles one or two at a time, so I could enjoy viewing them at your dinner table.

Unless you are a mind reader (and I doubt you are), you DON'T know why the gentleman keeps his painting collection secure and takes out only a few to view at a time.

I prefer to think that he is refined, and follows the scholarly Chinese system of focusing on one beautiful artwork at a time, and giving it one's undivided attention, then replacing it in its box or pouch, before bringing out another beauty to admire and learn from.

This is how YF Yang taught me to appreciate my snuff bottles. He prefers his bottles in individual boxes, but compromised with me that I get 10-bottle boxes, so I see 10 at a time (He first suggested I get 5-bottle boxes, but understood the storage aspect as well; though possibly 5-bottle boxes actually might have facilitated storage even better than 10-bottle boxes. ).

But as you say, to each his own.
You feel free to follow the crass Western and Modern Chinese 'Nouveau Riche' style of displaying all one's wealth at one time, and I will continue to follow the refined, classic Chinese scholarly way of displaying only a few treasures at a time, so each can get the attention they 'deserve'.   Wink Grin

And I hope my friendly criticism will not offend, as yours did not offend me.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: