About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:45:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A ribbon-tied agate bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A ribbon-tied agate bottle  (Read 1018 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 06:33:00 am »

Dear Tom,

What is the provenance of your 'brocade-wrapped' Chalcedony?
It looks familiar, and after asking Clare, she reminded me I'd had one in what I used to call 'boot flask' shape. Feel free to send me the info privately, if you so choose.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 06:47:07 am »

Dear Tom,

I just re-read this post and realised I'd never answered your question about this design in coral.
I do remember an example in coral, but I'm having a problem remembering in which collection it was.
For some reason, the Bob Stevens collection Mikimoto exhibition comes to mind, or the 1978 HKMA (Hong Kong Museum of Art) exhibition during the 1978 ICSBS convention, or the National Palace Museum collection. I saw all three collections/exhibitions during Oct./Nov. 1978, and am sure I saw a Coral snuff bottle with a wrapped brocade design in one of them.
Best,
Joey

Thanks everyone for all your comments!

Dear Joey, from what you say, should I tentatively assume this to be a product of the imperial workshops?

Dear YT, I noted with interest your comment that the brocade sash theme started during Yongzheng's reign. I am familiar with those enamel on copper bottles. It could be that they were the first, and the design was later used on nephrite jade and other hardstones. I vaguely recollect once seeing a tourmaline bottle with this theme. And I'm scratching my brain to recall if I have seen this design on a coral bottle too.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 06:25:17 pm »

Dear Tom,

I have recently been offered a  ribbon tied double gourd snuff bottle in amber. I will be seeing it in early Nov. in Honolulu.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 09:42:15 am »

Dear Joey,

That sounds interesting.....

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged