About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 07:04:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Kangxi 1662-1722, Artemisia Leaf Mark

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kangxi 1662-1722, Artemisia Leaf Mark  (Read 5255 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: June 05, 2011, 08:32:50 am »

Does anyone have some experience with porcelain, and marks ?

I have read that the leaf mark indicates the Kangxi period.

I know absolutely nothihg about collecting procelain, and am curious if this bottle appears to be the age that the mark suggests.

The bottle looks old to me, but with all the reproductions out there, I have no way of knowing for sure and am thinking about adding this as a first porcelain bottle to my collection .

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:51:29 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »

Hi George,

Actually there are no known Kangxi era porcelain snuff bottles. The few bottles which are in collections as Kangxi porcelain snuff bottles started off as Medicine bottles and were later converted to snuff use.  The same goes for Yongzheng (1723-1735) marked porcelain snuff bottles, they all date from the Daoguang (1821-1850) period or later.  The earliest porcelain snuff bottles made intentionally for snuff use were made in the early Qianlong (1736-1795) period.   However there are plenty of late Qing "Kangxi revival" porcelain snuff bottles to mix everyone up.  Your nice blue underglaze bottle is an example which dates circa 1880 - 1920.   
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:15:38 pm »

Tom,
   I am sorry, but I beg to differ.
   First of all, since snuff was seen as a medicinal in the Qing Dynasty (while it was seen as deleterious to health in the late Ming, when snuff was first introduced into China, ca.1560), how exactly does one differentiate a 'medicine bottle' from a 'snuff bottle'? We do have positively documented Qing Imperial enamel ware snuff bottles from both the Kangxi and Yongzheng reigns, so why NOT porcelains as well?
  And, humbly, I will submit #91, Yongzheng mark and period; #87, Imperial Qianlong mark and period; #82, unmarked, but definitely Yongzheng/ Qianlong; #27, Yongzheng mark but Qianlong; and #2 & #3, both Qianlong period.
;-)
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: