About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:43:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Hello Everyone

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 1639 times)
guest487
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:07 am »

Greetings everyone. My name is Matt. I am a newbie collector from Michigan looking to learn more about snuff bottles. I purchased my first snuff bottle a few months ago and have been hooked ever since. I mostly enjoy the artistry of the inside painted examples but look forward to researching and collecting all the different types.

I'll make sure to post some of my recent purchases to hopefully get some feedback, especially since I'm not very experienced at translating Chinese or understanding the symbolism.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:52:30 am »

Hi Matt,

Welcome on board. I think you will learn a lot from the members here.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:37:11 am »

Dear Matt,
    Welcome from me too. I live in Jerusalem, Israel most of the year, but have a summer home in County Wexford, Ireland.
    There used to be a good antique shop in Ann Arbor, where I bought some good snuff bottles. It was called The Lotus Gallery, run by Daniel Shutt and Leslie Werbel (313 665 6322), but I don't know if they are still around. I got a really great 18th C. Hair Crystal there in 1980 (#40 in my 1987 cat.).
Best,
joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

guest487
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:57:23 am »

Dear Matt,
    Welcome from me too. I live in Jerusalem, Israel most of the year, but have a summer home in County Wexford, Ireland.
    There used to be a good antique shop in Ann Arbor, where I bought some good snuff bottles. It was called The Lotus Gallery, run by Daniel Shutt and Leslie Werbel (313 665 6322), but I don't know if they are still around. I got a really great 18th C. Hair Crystal there in 1980 (#40 in my 1987 cat.).
Best,
joey

Thanks Joey. I live in the north suburbs of Detroit so Ann Arbor wouldn't too far. Unfortunately, it looks like the Lotus Gallery may have shut it's doors. Haven't scoured many local antique shops yet, but I plan on it. I visited a local antique market this weekend but I only found what appeared to be modern repros.
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 12:37:51 pm »

Dear Matt,
     There is also a Snuff Bottle Society, based in Baltimore MD, The International Chinese Snuff Bottle Society (ICSBS), which has an annual convention (this year in Chicago, 27-31.Oct.), and there are 6 members in MI, 3 in Ann Arbor, and one each in East Lansing, Farmington Hills and Haslett.
I've been a member since 1973 or 1974, and was on the Board from 2007 to 2011.
     It's a great group. A number of the Forum members are also ICSBS members.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:57:33 pm »

Hello and welcome aboard Matt !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal