About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:13:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

newly bought snuff bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newly bought snuff bottle  (Read 458 times)
winterkoning
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:31:33 pm »

Hello All,

I am a newbie into snuff bottle world and recently I had some luck with one of my first bottles and I could not resist buying another one that I really like, without in fact having much knowledge, not yet at least.

I have been doing research for a couple of evenings but I cannot find bottles that are similar to mine which makes me worried.
This one was bought at a small auction and said to be of the 19th century. As it is signed, I am hoping that one of you might tell me more on what it says and if this bottle  is indeed from the 19th century ?
The stopper at least seems very hold, the cork is totally black and not intact anymore. The stopper is said to be made of agate.

Thanks for your help and I will no introduce myself in the introduction part of this forum !
Lianne

* insidepainted2.jpg (144.7 KB, 830x988 - viewed 31 times.)

* insidepainted.jpg (84.79 KB, 945x1348 - viewed 26 times.)

* insidepainted4.jpg (90.6 KB, 945x1380 - viewed 24 times.)

* insidepainted3.jpg (85.66 KB, 945x1806 - viewed 18 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:51:49 pm »

These are 70s-90s modern copies..

Here is a good topic about them..
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,836.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:40:04 pm »

I have to agree with George about the bottle, it even can be newer according to the painting style.

As we always suggest to the new collectors, read books first, and look what other collectors appreciate before buying new bottles, which can save you lots of mistakes.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

winterkoning
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:20:35 am »

Thanks George and Steven.

Unfortunately the link you gave me George doesn't work ( or I cannot access it).

I am a bit surprised but it means I still have to learn a lot. And this is not an expensive mistake because I know I lack knowledge to spend a lot of money of snuff bottles at this moment Smiley

Any good books you can recommend ?

Thanks
Lianne
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:45:35 am »

Thanks George and Steven.

Unfortunately the link you gave me George doesn't work ( or I cannot access it).

So sorry about that ...

Here are some 1970/1990's  bottles for comparison..

* bottles.jpg (162.36 KB, 732x856 - viewed 29 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:40:29 am »

Dear Lianne,
      The bottle is from the School or Studio of Inside painting based in Shandong, PRC. There are examples going back to the 1890s,  of  inside painted clear glass bottles with black overlay decoration, but as George and Steven had the onerous duty to point out, yours is 1980s/1990s.
      Don't feel too discouraged; we all make mistakes at the start.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:15 am »

Don't feel too discouraged; we all make mistakes at the start.

Lianne,

Just want to add an encouraging or positive note.  The purchase of this bottle is not a mistake if you like it.  Many of us here collect contemporary (post 1950) snuff bottles and/or new interior painted bottles (IPBs).  It's all a matter of taste to you and the quality of the piece.

As well as antique snuff bottles, I collect post 1970 Peach River Studio IPBs which many snuff bottle collectors would not look at twice; meaning they would scoff at such collecting.  New or old is not the issue, quality is key.

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

winterkoning
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 04:27:38 pm »

Thanks everybody for your replies !

I am not really disappointed, i do like the bottle indeed. What I am a bit disappointed about is that I didn't see it. I took off the tape that they put on the cork ( actually it is metal) of the stopper and that proved me you are right. It looks almost brand new. Still need to learn a lot... Smiley

But I have to say that is also the intriguing part of collecting these, so I also see it as a learning.

What does really surprise me is that I bought it at an auction, not on ebay or another internet site, and they indicated it was from the 19th century. I assumed that these auction houses have experts working for them with knowledge and I am quite upset that that is not the case. I will send them a letter just for the record, I do not believe I have rights here.

I would (now not anymore) have dared to spend more money if I would see a nice bottle at an auction here in the Netherlands, assuming they know what they put up for sale. I now realize that I need to know what I am most probably buying, so I need to read and learn.
In itself this little bottle therefore taught me a lot. Absolutely worth the money Smiley

I have bought the book : Chinese snuff bottles, a guide to addictive miniatures (still has to arrive as I had to buy it in the US, couldn't find a copy here)

and I am looking for an affordable copy of the Collectors book of snuff bottles by Bob Stevens.
They are all over 100 US and I have to add shipping and import duties/VAT which makes this a very expensive book.

Do you have other suggestions on books ?

Anyway, I have some more snuff bottles, some "failures" but I believe also some good ones. Of some I am not sure but I think they are authentic....will post them later including my failures  Smiley

Thanks again ! I really appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards
Lianne

Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 06:23:28 pm »

Dear Lianne,

As a rule, there are no dedicated snuff bottle experts in auction houses, with the exception of Sotheby's London, Hong Kong and New York; Christie's same three; Bonham's same three; and Quinns Auction in Falls Church VA, in the USA, because David Quinn, one of the owners, collects. Dessa Goddard at Butterfield & Butterfield in San Francisco was also such an expert, but B & B were bought out by Bonham's in 1999, and Dessa is now  in charge of Asian Art at Bonham's  North American auction venues,  I believe.

Snuff bottles are a small and complicated subject; there are a lot of crossovers between Chinese snuff bottles and other Chinese arts, but also some differences.
The connection is closer with scholars' items and other small objects, similar in scale to the snuff bottles, though.

The short answer is, don't trust the auction's 'experts'!  Wink  Grin
 Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:46:08 pm »

Lianne..

I have and like very much the Guide to Addictive Miniatures book..

You can search through these topics.. You will see the books, magazines and journals that I have acquired so far..
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/board,19.0.html

One book that everyone agrees is a must have for collectors at any collecting level is, "The Collectors Book of Snuff Bottles".. But especially helpful for collectors just starting out.

Here is one currently listed on eBay for a pretty fair price..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNUFF-BOTTLES-COLLECTOR-BOOK-Stevens-HC-1ST-1976-Slipcase-/171751645531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fd32215b
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: