About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 03:08:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

ZhangYong Latest Work

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ZhangYong Latest Work  (Read 982 times)
AntPeople
Private Boards

« on: July 09, 2015, 08:30:53 pm »

Hi All :

Sharing some ZY latest work

Bottle 1 :

Fisherman coming back after fising on a full moon nite..... note that the Yellow colouration is natural agate colour

After a refreshing rain in the woods..... note that the water is natural agate colour... so is the tiny red dot that is used as the umbrella

Bottle 2 :

Understanding Emptiness

The other side of the river bank

Enjoy....... Grin

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »

Dear Pin,

I like the waterfall side. Early morning in a misty forest with water flowing down to an area brightly lit.

Thanks.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:00:41 pm »

Love the agate bottle. Very creative....The other bottle does not appeal to me much, however.   Thanks for posting Pin!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:29 pm »

Dear Pin,

I agree with Pat. The first is stunning; the second one does not do much for me either, I'm afraid.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »

Dear Pat and Joey,

You got to attain to a certain level before you will like this bottle just like this 'Lama'(Tibetan Buddhist monk) meditating.  Tongue Roll Eyes

Cheers,
YT

I have not learn the art of meditating so this bottle does not appeal to me too.
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:42:17 am »

hahaha.... that's why the bottle title is literally call.....understanding emptiness.... hahaha..
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 04:58:59 am »

Both are beautiful.. I like the shape , and also the wonderful use of the natural yellow within the agate..

Also like the "understanding emptiness" bottle as well.. Some of Dylan Shu's bottles that are similar emptiness in style are among my favorites..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 05:00:48 am »

Dear Pin,

Funnily enough, I like the side with the monk, or would if there was only the calligraphy on the left, the thin layer of landscape on the bottom, and no monk. The other side I really don't like. And I would have preferred a bottle without taotie for such a subject.
   Then I would have been able not only to  'understand emptiness', but enjoy it!
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

aidan31

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:00:06 am »

Dear Pin-

I'm afraid that I go against the majority concerning these two bottles.

The second bottle, to me, expresses a spiritual theme, the smallness of humanity against the vastness of the universe.  The lone figure of a monk seated in meditation, contemplating his smallness and man's unimportance brings me to the realization that we are not "Masters of the Universe" but simply a small part of creation.

A lovely and provocative bottle!

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 07:18:06 am »

Hi All

These  bottles  are  very  typical  Zhang Yong   creations

Personally  I  don't  like  this  style  ( especially  not  in agate)

But  that's   a  very  personal  opinion.

Zhang Yong  paints  in an  extraordinarily  different  types  of   styles .

Most of  his  styles  I  don't  personally like ,  but  his  abstract  landscapes  are   superb !

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 07:37:36 am »

Dear Rick,

That's what makes a horse race. But you know I'm not that pushed about human figure representations (Though I'd buy one with 'He-Man', speaking of "Masters of the Universe"!  Grin Roll Eyes ).

Dear Peter,

Could you post one or two of his abstract landscapes for us?

Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 07:59:46 am »

Hi All

I purposely miss out a tiny detail on one side of the monk bottle.. See the side with the falling leaves.... Look carefully and you will see that one of the "leaf" (somewhere at the top left hand corner" just above the calligraphy)....is a old monk... Without anything except the rugged clothing..... Looking eye to eye with the young abbot....

The Buddhism thinking of emptiness in materialistic thing and fullness in wisdoms.... The enlightenment stage....

Actually, this bottle do give me a peaceful feeling looking at it..... And the emptiness of the bottle do leave a lot of space for thoughts

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:26 am »

Dear Pin,

I saw the old monk located above the calligraphy, from the start. I just am bothered by the composition, and the figural art.
To each his own. That's what makes collecting so interesting.
Best,
Joey

I've been thinking about it some more. If one wants to symbolise 'nothingness', why try to use 'something' to symbolise it?
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:08:22 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 12:13:22 pm »

I am with Rick and love the second bottle!!!

But I also agree with Joey, the bottle will be more attractive without the mask rings, it doesn't need more decoration on such a bottle, the simpler the best.

Steven 
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 10:15:04 pm »

Pin,

Thanks for sharing the IP bottles by Zhang Yong.

Interesting themes with spiritual connotations that mean different things to different collectors.

Hope to catch up again soon.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:24 pm »

I have been following this thread with interest! Right from the start I preferred the second bottle (apart from the fact that I like plain quartz crystal anyway).

I can admire the 'cleverness' of painting inside an agate (more correctly 'chalcedony') bottle. However, in all but a few examples where the mist adds atmosphere to the landscape, it looks like viewing a scene through an out-of-focus lens, or fogged spectacles. I keep feeling I want to pull aside the veil (or wipe my lenses).

The quartz crystal bottle, on the other hand, has an attraction which I was unable to explain until I read Rick's comments. And I personally have no problem with the taotie. For me this only helps reinforce the sense of emptiness - the 'nothingness' is framed by the mask handles.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:56 am »

I believed that a lot of Renaissance artist will paint themselves into a piece of painting.... esp those pieces that has lots of human figure in it.... usually one of the discreet human figure in the painting will be artist himself......

I believe ZY does that also.... the monk in red clothing actually looks like he himself...

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 05:31:55 am »

Dear Rick, Tom & Pin,

I see all the points in the bottle's favour pointed out by the three of you; but viscerally, I still don't like it.
It just doesn't do it for me. I'm probably not 'elevated' enough spiritually... Wink   Roll Eyes
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:32 pm »

Joey

Just like you I appreciate all the points made by our collector friends here but I guess you and I are just more 'feet on the ground'.   
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 04:16:34 am »

Dear Pat,

Probably. I was expecting Giovanni to join us, but he's not that pushed by IPSBs anyway.
Best,
Joey

Joey

Just like you I appreciate all the points made by our collector friends here but I guess you and I are just more 'feet on the ground'.   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: