About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:49:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Hair crystal bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hair crystal bottle  (Read 930 times)
Kaja

« on: January 17, 2018, 10:30:44 am »

Hi,

I was given this hair crystal bottle for my birthday last year, and it is one of my favorites. Not so much for the appearance, as it looks beat up, but for the feel in my hand. It is as smooth as silk. It is so smooth that it is a bit hard to hold onto. I handle it seldom, as I am afraid it will slip out of my fingers.  Just wanted to share, and if anyone has any knowledge of this type of bottle, I would appreciate the education.

Have a great day, everyone.

* IMG_1968.jpg (563.12 KB, 1221x1685 - viewed 53 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:27:18 am »

Thanks for sharing, Kaja

It looks like a very nice hair crystal to me, very nice shape, and hairs are very attractive as well.

If you don't mind, I would love to see a couple of more photos of the mouth of the bottle and the bottom too.

Cheers.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:18:07 pm »

Thank you for asking.  Also, on one side of the  bottle is an etching of a flower. It is hard to see in the photo.

* IMG_1976.jpg (423.75 KB, 1405x1008 - viewed 45 times.)

* IMG_1978 (1).jpg (394.67 KB, 1362x1421 - viewed 49 times.)

* index (6).jpg (165.66 KB, 800x607 - viewed 36 times.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:13:48 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged
AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:48 pm »

Hi Kaja

Nice bottle....I would prefer it plain without any decoration... also, the flower could have been added later IMO

Thanks

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »

Kaja,

This is a very respectable bottle in my opinion.  Obviously has seen a lot of use. What stories it could possibly tell!  Part of the hair crystal group (rock crystal with inclusions of black tourmaline 'needles').

The back is a little plain in comparison to the needled side, thus may explain someone’s need to scribe it with the decoration.   Hopefully one of our more experienced collectors on stone bottles can present an age range.  Thanks for sharing this addition to your collection.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:27:29 pm »

Thanks for sharing additional photos Kaja!

One of the photo was too big size , so I went ahead and resized if for you. Please be sure resize the file dimension no more than 1000pixel  wide, so that the photo is fit the screen properly.

I agree with Charll and Pin on the comments of the bottle, I also not eligible to give you a very specific date range, but will give it a try,  1880-1940 is my guess.

Best,

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:36 am »

Thank you kindly, everone.  It is satisfying to have some idea of what the history of a bottle might be. It adds an additional dimension of depth to these fascinating little gems of artwork.  Also, thank you for the photo tips. We have been freezing here in Texas, and it is supposed to start warming. Hooray.

Have a lovely day.

Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:10:46 am »

Dear Kaja,
Which part of TX you are living in. I live in Plano.its frozen over here.
Cheers ,

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:08 am »

I am in Hamilton. 65 miles north of Waco.  Itty bitty town. Our temperature dropped to 7 degrees about four nights ago, but thank goodness there was no precipitation, so no ice.  Killed my big cactus plant in the front yard, though, and maybe even my peach tree. But it is supposed to warm up today. Did you get an ice storm this year?

kaja
Report Spam   Logged
albert

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:22:21 am »

Thanks for sharing Kaja, nice pictures, the hair patron is very beautiful!!! Wink Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Kaja

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:59:01 pm »

Thank you. I find it fascinating. Of course, I am a life long rock hound.

Kaja
Report Spam   Logged
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:59:13 am »

Thankk you for sharing, Kaja.

I cannot help on the age of the bottle. The way the black 'needles' spread out is very pleasant to the beholder !
Such type of bottle is also one of my favourites. Is your bottle about 50mm high ?

Regards,
Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:57:29 am »

The bottle is 44.45mm.  I have wondered if that makes it a miniature. I also love the natural beauty of the needles. 

Thank you,

kaja

Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 01:53:33 pm »

Dear Kaja,
nice bottle, especially because it is of small size. I like small bottles. I too agree that it is an old one, although I can’t say how much.
Which kind of 7 degrees you had there, Fahrenheit or Celsius? In any case, your peach will surely survive.
We have lower temperatures here with no problems for the peaches. The only problem is that, if the peach tree was blooming, you will not have harvest for this year.
Dear Albert, hair patron or hair pattern? Or does “patron” has a similar meaning in English? Just to know.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 04:19:41 am »

Dear Kaja,

A very acceptable example. You have every reason to be proud of it.
I would say ca. 1850-1900.
JoeyMicsh
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: