About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:12:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Peanuts anyone

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Peanuts anyone  (Read 3106 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: April 19, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »

Christies Paris place the dating at 19th.

YT, unless Christies has some information on provenance to show when this bottle was purchased, I'm not sure they could accurately pin down a dating.  Now granted hardstones is one of my weakest areas to ever be making a comment, but my first impression was that your bottle was a 20th century piece also.  I drew this conclusion based on the following:

1) Form.  The bottle has a narrowed oval form typical of what we see in many later and new bottles. The shoulders off the neck and the body above the foot are very round and is at a steep angle off the neck and foot.  I've notice that older bottles of this shape type tend to be less so and their bodies take on more of a rounded rectangle form. 

2) High relief.  The degree of height on the carved relief is atypical on older bottles made for use and tends to occur on bottles made for export and/or as cabinet pieces.

3) Under carving. The way the peanuts are lifted off the bottle by under or caving back underneath the design is a later process in manufacture and design to increase the decorative effect at the expense of functionally.  Such carvings create catch and snag points with removal from pouches or clothing.         

I have seen a number of peanut motif bottles in displays and in various auction and collection catalogs.  All with age as I recall have lower reliefs in the design and the designs taper down to the body of the bottle with no undercutting. 

I'm just providing some food for thought based on past observations rather than on referenced literature and could be wrong on the later dating.  Regardless, it is a very lovely bottle that many of us would cherish.

Charll

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:33:47 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: