About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 02:11:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Porcelain Pottery Glazing Fake

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Porcelain Pottery Glazing Fake  (Read 490 times)
Sam
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:48:34 pm »

Hi All

I'm very new to this so ignore my complete lack of knowledge.  Before I started doing some reading about fakes, I purchased these two bottles off ebay.  They were titled UNUSUAL SHAPE c1900 ANTIQUE SIGNED PORCELAIN BLUE & WHITE SNUFF BOTTLE & LID and c1900 ANTIQUE SIGNED HAND PAINTED PORCELAIN BLUE & WHITE SNUFF BOTTLE & LID.  The specifics for both were Seller Notes “VERY GOOD CONDITION WITH NO CHIPS, CRAZING, SCRATCHES..THE LID IS ORIGINAL, THE CORK HAS DETERIORATED WITH AGE SO NEEDS A NEW ONE, I HAVE ADDED A PIECE OF TAPE FOR NOW WHICH KEEPS THE LID TIGHT FOR THE TIME BEING..”
Product:           Snuff Bottles    Original/Repro:  Original
Sub-Type:         Porcelain          Primary Material:           Porcelain/ Pottery
Age:     1850-1899         Dynasty:           Qing c1644~c1912
Region of Origin:           Chinese.
I also purchased from them a cinnabar at a cheap price and having looked at several cinnabar items since and doing some little tests on it (as it was so cheap and I was sure it was fake) I can say that I'm 99.9% sure it is a fake.  I purchased these bottles from the UK not China.
When I received the bottles the glazing was very thick and yellowish and ended at the top of the bottle and at the top of the lid and pooled at the bottom of the bottle.  I've added photographs so you can see. I notified the seller that I intended to find out if they were fakes and also asked to return the Cinnabar.  Needless to say, this person did not respond and seems to have removed themselves from ebay.  I was wondering if someone could actually tell me, since it appears I can't return them, what they are probably made out of and whether by chance they are worth keeping or discarding.  I didn't pay much for them. Thanks for any help you can give.

Sam

* IMG_0961.JPG (32.67 KB, 320x320 - viewed 31 times.)

* IMG_0962.JPG (28.87 KB, 320x320 - viewed 17 times.)

* IMG_0964.JPG (28.31 KB, 320x320 - viewed 16 times.)

* IMG_0966.JPG (27.9 KB, 320x320 - viewed 19 times.)

* IMG_0980.JPG (35.43 KB, 320x320 - viewed 10 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:03:50 pm »

The description of 1850-1899 is not correct.  These could well have been made last week. They are made of porcelain, but the stopper or cork area never was cork. It is porcelain as well, and it is not worn from age.  The yellowing could be an attempt to make it appear old.

When you approach the seller for a refund, probably can't use the idea they are fake, because they are snuff bottles.. But the description of 19th century is misleading and incorrect.

Hope you can get the refund.. !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:27:47 pm »

Sam,

Welcome to the Forum!  Looks like George provide some information while I was composing a response.

Neither of these bottles are antique; i.e., antique generally being 100 years or more in age.  Both are new, and if not new, relatively newish.  They may not even be painted for a number of these types of bottles are stenciled.  Closer images or higher resolution photos would help to verify stenciling.  If the blue is stenciled you can make out a dot pattern when viewed with a jeweler’s loop or good a magnifying glass.   These are very typical of what’s being produced today (for what purpose I have yet to comprehend) and coming out of China in masses.  They are only worth than a few dollars if that much and have no collecting value in my opinion.   Sounds like you may have already suspected this though.

Respectfully,
Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:38:55 pm »

Sam

Welcome to the Forum.  Although the seller may have disappeared on Ebay, you still have recourse on Paypal, as far as I understand their policies.  Try it out.  I agree that these are literally new bottles and churned out by the thousands, as indicated by Charll.  I lived in China long enough to get tired of seeing these everywhere...  If nothing else, look at it as a lesson in collecting.  We have all been there, at least once...   
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Sam
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »

Thanks, everyone.  I'll take your advice and use it well.

Sam
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 02:32:29 am »

Dear Sam,
George, Tom and Pat said everything about your bottles, sorry. I would like to add a further suggestion: stay away from bottles with that type of stopper! (which indeed is even not worth to be called stopper as it lacks its function).
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: