About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 02:55:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Names of unidentified IPB painters NOT yet found in Peter's DB

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Names of unidentified IPB painters NOT yet found in Peter's DB  (Read 10527 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 10:24:13 pm »

Hi  Pat,

Seems  we  have   some  concensus  on   numbers  of  artists

I reckon that, although   a  good   VM   artist   in  his  mid -late   30's  can paint a  good  bottle  in one week working non-stop,   his  actual  productivity is  only 2  bottles/ month  because  of  planning a  bottle,  family  matters  etc.    If  he  can get  RMB 4 - 5K   net  per bottle, which  I think is the  going  rate  that  makes  RMB8-10K / month ( I assume  tax free)  which  is a pretty   good salary   in Hengshui. That  translates to   at least  double that  in  terms  of   salary vs  cost of living in the  big cities  ( maybe  almost treble before  tax) , which  puts  him  on a par   with  our   top sales  staff  in China   who bring in  USD 2 - 4 Million / month  sales

RMB4-5K  net/ bottle  means   final sale  price  in  the  USD1K range  via a   dealer

All this  is at  current  prices , of course.   It seems  a few  years  ago   the   artist's   expectation  per  "good" bottle  was  much lower

Re  collecting  :  I think you  have a moot  point .   I guess  100  years   ago  IPBs   were   exclusively the playground  of  Chinese  collectors. But  inevitably    eventually they  become  international collectors'  items  ( even  so, many of the "great"    Early and Middle   school  collections  are  in the  hands of  Chinese  collectors )

Now  for the   Modern  school  :   again  it's the  Chinese  collectors  who   have lead the   field  :  J.H. Leung,   the   S'Pore  Nanyang  group, and  other  collectors  in Spore like  Yeo,  Richard  etc  . And   probably a  handful of   discrete , rich  Chinese   collectors    who have  not  published their    collections  yet.   Even  you  and  I  have   strong  Chinese  connections !  It  seems   Bill  is the   "exception that proves the   rule" ( if I may   say that  in the   nicest possible  way   Smiley   )

The   VM school  may  turn  out to   have a  wider  audience   worldwide because  of  dealers  like  Jill.  But  - as I mentioned  before  -  I  recently heard that   80% of  all  good  VM bottles   are now   sold  within China

So where   does  that  leave   the   future  of  this  art-form  ?    BIG  QUESTION !

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: