About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 03:40:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Names of unidentified IPB painters NOT yet found in Peter's DB

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Names of unidentified IPB painters NOT yet found in Peter's DB  (Read 10553 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »

Peter

Stick to your (our) motto.  Collect out of love and dont care about what others think.  Unknown works from unknown artists that we love is still art, and just maybe it will take several generations for them to become popular.  So few artists become popular during their lifetime.  It is fair to say that this hobby is like fighting windmills.  Too many people are too private about their collecting style in this hobby, and I think this is one of the major reasons that these artists dont get the attention they deserve.  Their bottles just dissappear in a big hidden void and are mostly never seen again. In addition, as you indicate, the artists themselves also probably dont do enough personal PR, in order for them to get noticed on a wider scale. 

On the other hand though... it is fair to say that there were probably at least 50-100 IPB painters at the turn of the century, but even then (and to some extent still now) only Zhou Leyuan, Ma ShaoXuan, Ding Erzhong, Ye Zhongsan get the real respect they deserve.  Only recently have artists like Ma Shou Xian, Ma Guang Yu, Yong Shou Tian, Yan Yutian, Chen Zhongsan, Bi Rongjiu, Sun Xingwu, Le San, and some others started to become popular.   This is after over 100 years!  So I guess we can say that in reality not so much has changed.

If you look at some of the bottle pics that George posted from my 'missing' names list, you can see that some of these painters are indeed darn good, great even.  The sad part for them and for us, is that we may never find out who they really are/were.  And THAT is the fault of the collectors who dont share AND the fault of the artists who dont profile properly or disclose all the pen names they use.

So I go back to your (our) premise.  Collect out of love....
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: