About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 09:57:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Names of unidentified IPB painters NOT yet found in Peter's DB

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Names of unidentified IPB painters NOT yet found in Peter's DB  (Read 10378 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:40 pm »

Hi George,

When I  wrote   Shi  Qing    that  was a  mistake.  I meant to write  Qiu Shi , whom the  S'Pore    guys mentioned  last weekend in BJ  because  he  has now  definitely   stopped  painting

But  in fact  both these  artists    were  collected  by the  Singapore  Nanyang  Group because  -  I believe  - they  were   senior  students  of  Wang Guanyu ,  who   often  went to  S'Pore   and    who   was  most ardently  collected  by the  Nanyang  Group  ( you  can see that from their book)

The first time  I ever went to Hengshui,  Wang Guanyu sold me  a bottle  each by  Shi Qing and   Qiu Shi  and  very reasonable  prices  ( about  USD 200 each)  which  seemed  to  have been gathering dust on his  shelves. Both were  of course landscapes.

I have  since  been  able  to  confirm  that  Qiu Shi  =  Liu Xingkai 

But  I  do not know  the  real  name of Shi Qing and  I myself  have  no evidence that he  is  Zhang  Haishen  ( although that's not to say  he  is  not   ZHS )  .  If  you  have some     evidence  or  testimony  please  do   send  to me.  I  can't  find  anything  on Bill's  site  for  ZHS  except a  copy of   his page in CIPMA .

The  use of  pen names  seems to be  very common, and some  artists   have several pen  names .  Maybe  they   adopt   different  pen names  at  different  phases  of their    creative  life  .  According to my research  , even Zhang Guanqing,  current  master  of  the   Lu  Schooln in  Shangdong (  Zibo)  has   two  pen names

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: