About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 03:25:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Coconut Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coconut Snuff Bottle  (Read 488 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: April 03, 2015, 03:21:18 am »

Thought would share this beautiful coconut bottle from within "The Brush The Stone" book that I recently purchased.. Wonderful book by the way !

Described as well formed from two shallow halves of coconut shell and each side carved with recessed panels of circular forum containing inset tortoise shell veneers. Each panel engraved with twenty one characters per side and highlighted in gilt. The single centralized character forums a heading leaving twenty characters to form a poem of four lines to each side, the neck of formed silver splayed across the shoulders and rising to simple cylindrical mouth with two ornate collars.

Tortoise shell stopper, and 6 cm tall.

Post 1850

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:32:03 am »

Beautiful bottle George!  But one thing though .. the wood does not look like any coconut wood I have ever seen and I have lived in the tropics since 1999. I am perplexed as it doesn't have the whitish inclusions I would have expected to see.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:57:39 pm by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:04:13 am »

I see what you mean Pat.. Not sure what to make of that.. It does have some pitting like expect to see within a coconut shell..

The attached pic is not this bottle.. Just an example to compare..

* coconut.jpg (101.01 KB, 515x503 - viewed 10 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 05:53:12 am »

Dear George,
    I agree with Pat; and you can't argue with his expertise - 16 years is a long time. 
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:39:17 am »

Sounds good to me !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:20:18 am »

I would describe this as: " a tortoiseshell, wood and silver snuff bottle with incised inscriptions on the inset tortoiseshell panels front and reverse." Somehow, even if the surrounds were coconut, 'coconut snuff bottle' doesn't do it justice. I especially like the elegant silver mount at the top of the bottle.
Best,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:58:59 am »

I would describe this as: " a tortoiseshell, wood and silver snuff bottle with incised inscriptions on the inset tortoiseshell panels front and reverse."

Dear Joey,
I get the feeling you've done this before.    Grin
All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:10:55 am »

Dear Tom,
     Just a time or two...  Roll Eyes   Grin
     I catalogued almost 800 of my own bottles, and 140 of the late Hilde Schonfeld's bottles, and a few hundred of other assorted friends' bottles, like Flo Weiss in Chicago, etc.  There were years during the period 1980-2000, when everywhere I went, I helped friends catalogue their collections.
     I never needed to do that with Rick in New Orleans, since he's been at it longer than me, and was a dealer in Asian Arts in the French Quarter; but almost every other collector I tended to visit (except for Bernie and the late Fran Wald, in NYC; Agatha Aronson, in Coronado, CA; and the late Pete Bozzo and his now widow Marion, in Alexandria, VA).
  Best,
    Joey

I would describe this as: " a tortoiseshell, wood and silver snuff bottle with incised inscriptions on the inset tortoiseshell panels front and reverse."

Dear Joey,
I get the feeling you've done this before.    Grin
All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 07:04:10 pm »

All,

I too would consider Joey's description more accurate.   However, even though it is possible, I would have a hard time believing that Chis Randell got casing material (i.e., coconut shell) wrong.     

I catalogued almost 800 of my own bottles, and 140 of the late Hilde Schonfeld's bottles, and a few hundred of other assorted friends' bottles, like Flo Weiss in Chicago, etc.

Joey, anytime your back in my area I'll be more than happy to allow you to come up with appropriate descriptions on about 200 of my better bottles, or maybe the 200 mediocre bottles I really should get rid of first.  Cheesy

And Joey, sorry to hear about the lingering effects of the illness, but based on 'posting tone' it sounds like your back on your feet again which is good to hear. 

Respectfully,

Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: