About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:29:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Such a shame

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Such a shame  (Read 871 times)
seadancer1

« on: October 02, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »

Hi guys, I thought I would put up some of my collection you have not seen for comment  Smiley
This bottle I bought from a charity shop as I thought it was worth the couple of dollars despite the damage, if for no other reason than to keep for a specimen of its type....besides, I like it.
It measures approximately 85mm x 27mm. I don't know if the stopper is original.  What I would like to know is the age, if possible, and if the style is called famille verte or famille noire? Do you think it's worth keeping even though it's damaged?
Cheers Brenda

* 1443819169737.jpg (515.49 KB, 584x900 - viewed 56 times.)

* 1443819567325.jpg (708.2 KB, 924x809 - viewed 42 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

seadancer1

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:40:00 pm »

Another pic ...close up

* 20150930_085258-2.jpg (800.2 KB, 970x1496 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
seadancer1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »

More pics...anyone know what the marks are?

* 1443819480595.jpg (633.31 KB, 691x890 - viewed 20 times.)

* 1443820034923.jpg (549.01 KB, 900x675 - viewed 21 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
seadancer1

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 04:48:56 pm »

And another...five clawed dragon.

* 20150930_084645-1.jpg (741.28 KB, 1047x1328 - viewed 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »

Brenda,

This bottle appears to date most likely from the Guangxu Period (1875-1908) even though it appears to have a four character Qianlong mark on the base.  It would be a great little bottle if it were more pristine.

What a bummer in regard to the damage.  It appears a good portion of the base and/or foot was broken at one time as seen by the old glue lines and then there is a portion of the foot rim is missing.   If it was just a potion of the foot rim missing I would consider a restoration, otherwise I would have to look at the bottle to see just how extensive the damage is.

Pieces with the decoration executed in Famille Verte (green) enamels sometimes occur with the decoration set against a black or yellow background, they are known as Famille Noire and Famille Jaune, respectively. (See terms at http://gotheborg.com/index.htm)  Thus I would call this Famille Noire. 

Charll
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:21:01 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:07:45 pm »

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for sharing, I am with Charll on the date of the bottle. Its pity for the damage.

I shared a very similar bottle a while back, which can be the sibling of the bottle, even with the same mark, they could from the same workshop .

Steven

* IMG_9611.jpg (138.06 KB, 500x942 - viewed 25 times.)

* IMG_9613.jpg (165.59 KB, 500x913 - viewed 17 times.)

* IMG_9618.jpg (74.15 KB, 500x386 - viewed 16 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 06:41:19 pm »

Dear Brenda,

You should keep it since you bought it from a charity shop. It may have brought your health back faster for your kindness.

This bottle can still look good as a display piece.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 07:22:07 pm »

Thanks all...yes I will keep it, I have a strong feeling that this bottle comes from the goldrush days here in Australia.  Smiley
Cheers Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 10:45:59 pm »

Beautiful bottle.. !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 11:09:34 am »

Dear Brenda,

I agree with Steven and Charll, re. the dating and re.the sadness over the damage. Pat has a number of damaged bottles which would be very desirable if in better condition. He doesn't mind 'protecting and treasuring' damaged examples.
      It is a fine attitude, which I wish I was able to adopt, if I weren't so bourgeoisie.  Roll Eyes
Best,
Happy Simchat Torah,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

seadancer1

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 03:43:26 pm »

I just call them "well loved"Joey   Cheesy
Cheers Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 04:21:19 am »

Dear Brenda,

I have a small collection of  5-7  modern Steiff teddy bears (I had a much larger collection, over 55, but started giving them to nieces, nephews, cousins, children of friends), and was offered a 'much loved' older one from before 1933, as a gift.

I just could not deal with its condition, and suggested to my friend that she sell it in a Christie's teddy bear auction in London. She asked if it was worth the bother, and would she not just drop it off to a St. Vincent de Paul charity shop! She got over UKŁ 10,000 in pocket. But even knowing that (I'd thought it would fetch UKŁ 3K, max., but knew she could use the money), I still would not have wanted it.

I'm sorry, but anything in bad condition is disturbing to me. But I'm glad there are people like you and Pat, who do give these objects a loving home.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 02:41:30 pm »

I can't speak for Pat Joey, but I have always been interested in history, so I don't mind the damage so much because it speaks of an items history. I can also understand where you are coming from because you are a serious collector who looks more at a bottle's artistic perfection and it's being the best of its type and style.  The teddy bear sold high because of the years of love and cuddles it showed by being so worn.when I look at a teddy like that, I don't see a stuffed toy, but a little girl or boy hugging and getting comfort from his much loved teddy bear.  Smiley
Cheers Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 02:54:00 pm »

Dear Brenda,
     Thank you. Thinking about how you see it, helps me widen my appreciation.
Best,
Joey

I can't speak for Pat Joey, but I have always been interested in history, so I don't mind the damage so much because it speaks of an items history. I can also understand where you are coming from because you are a serious collector who looks more at a bottle's artistic perfection and it's being the best of its type and style.  The teddy bear sold high because of the years of love and cuddles it showed by being so worn.when I look at a teddy like that, I don't see a stuffed toy, but a little girl or boy hugging and getting comfort from his much loved teddy bear.  Smiley
Cheers Brenda
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:04:35 pm »

Indeed Brenda

You voice some of my thoughts here.  I have had bottles crack further over time and then eventually I will discard them, but only if and when the artistic value has been eroded by the damage.  I have long looked (unsuccessfully) and experimented with repair but it has been futile for me so far.   I know one of our members here has successfully restored neck and foot damage to glass bottles and would love to learn from him but I am not aware of any way to repair hairline cracks. 

I have a few master painted bottles that I would love to restore one day (Zhou Le Yuan, Ye Zhongsan, Ma Shaoxuan, Meng Zishou, Yan Yutian, ...)
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

seadancer1

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 04:31:48 am »

I guess we all have our own reasons for collecting,  Pat....and why some appeal where others dont.I have to confess I collect emotionally rather than intellectualy....pehaps it would be different if I had better finances, but somehow I don't think so. Smiley
Cheers Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 04:30:44 pm »

Dear Pat,
it is universally recognized that the best bond for hairlines, either for glass or porcelain, is Hxtal – NYL 1, which is recognized to be the more proper one because it does not yellowish with time. I never used it because here in Italy it is not available, I don't know if in your area you can find it.
I did read that in case of glass, most of the time the hairline virtually disappear because it has the same refraction index of the glass when cured. It is a two component type bond and it is not a fast curing one like cyanoacrylate, so the application should be easy.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 08:06:54 am »

Thanks Giovanni!  Will look for it....
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie