About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:00:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

We sure are a quiet bunch...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: We sure are a quiet bunch...  (Read 1039 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: March 26, 2015, 11:47:37 pm »

Wish I had a new and interesting bottle to share, but waiting on one more reference book before ready to post it..

Did post some pics within a jade collectors group in an effort to get a little help in one area, but nothing much..

As soon as this last book, "Pure Brightness Shines Everywhere: The Glass of China" arrives maybe will learn a little more and be ready to share a newest bottle..

Couple of nice books lately include a book Charll shared called, The Brush The Stone.

Then also received, "Chinese Glass of the Qing Dynasty". I know you have this one David.

About the only other news is did not have any luck selling an 18th enamel on glass bottle in New York. Sent it along with Jadestone Art Gallery who did have a real nice display/gallery ( couple pics below ). Apparently some of the wind was taken out of the dealers sails due to Robert Ellsworth auction..

Spring is certainly here, and the Grandkids will be here in a few days for their entire Spring break.

* jadestone1.jpg (75.99 KB, 720x960 - viewed 28 times.)

* jadestone2.jpg (91.57 KB, 960x720 - viewed 24 times.)

* jadestone3.jpg (66.73 KB, 720x960 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:36 am »

Hi George,

Yes, it sure is quiet on the forum. I've been out of it lately due to a family illness, but a lot of our regulars have been off radar recently.

By the way, that's a nice display from Jadestone. I like the 'random' grouping/spacing of bottles on the lowest two shelves. Sorry to hear you had no luck selling yours. Is that it at the top of the top shelf?

I don't see how the Robert Ellsworth sale could affect the snuff bottle dealers - no conflict there.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:18:40 am »

Yes, mine is the one on top center.. That was just one of a few cases that had snuff bottles too..

What was shared with me is that neither Clare or Erick sold much in the way of snuff bottles. Dealers all did quite less business this year because all of the buyers spent their money at Christie's for the Ellsworth sale, and that it was rather discouraging.

Very sorry to hear about you family members illness..

Not sure what everyone is else is side tracked with.. But seems like everyone is missing in action .. 

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:59 am »

Dealers all did quite less business this year because all of the buyers spent their money at Christie's for the Ellsworth sale, and that it was rather discouraging.

I had the impression, wrongly it appears, that snuff bottle collectors were very focussed, and didn't get distracted by other kinds of antiques.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 05:02:49 am »

Dealers all did quite less business this year because all of the buyers spent their money at Christie's for the Ellsworth sale, and that it was rather discouraging.

I had the impression, wrongly it appears, that snuff bottle collectors were very focussed, and didn't get distracted by other kinds of antiques.

You would certainly think that the case Tom.. I would think the same..

Just passing on what was relayed to me..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:40:49 am »

Not sure what everyone is else is side tracked with.. But seems like everyone is missing in action ..

Well for me this is one of the the busiest times of the year for we are prepping for this year's logging.  Out all day laying out harvest units and marking timber, flagging stream protection zones, etc., meetings with log buys and showing log sales, cruising timber for valuation, and then spending many evenings each week surveying for northern spotted owls.  Out at 7am and back at midnight.  Then my youngest son, Skylar, is home on spring break from college and trying to spend a little time with him this week. 

Still monitoring the Forum, just do not have much time to contribute.

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »

Hello All,

The good news for Snuff Bottle collectors is that all the activity of the last 2 weeks has meant that the buyers are spreading themselves thin.  Some bargains at Bonham's San Francisco, NY, London, and a collection sold in Australia.  The following one was sold as "dated 1910", but it just shows how little they know.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22495/lot/163/

Best regards,

Tom B.

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:22:54 pm »

Yes, my apologies for no recent contributions but I haven't bought anything recently to show and I've been really busy on other things.

I was about to comment on the Bonham's Australia Lumsden Family auction but Tom beat me to it. There were many bottles going at what looked like good prices.

I really fancied this bottle

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22495/lot/50/

but I didn't register to bid in time.
Anyone else get anything?

Geoff
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:24:40 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:28:35 pm »

Sorry you missed that one Geoff, it is a real beauty and way under its fair market value. 

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

David

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:13:30 pm »

Dear George,

Maybe everyone spend too much on the Bloch auctions + others and are somewhat satisfied? Or perhaps the price just went too high too fast. Sorry to hear that your's did not sell.

It is also the tax season, aside from working out I had all sorts of fun filling out my forms and getting the paperwork done. When will we ever just have a fair flat tax for everyone?
Then also received, "Chinese Glass of the Qing Dynasty". I know you have this one David.

Some of those glasswork are so beautiful, that there is nothing I can nit-pick on. You will love the book, it has a few very well photographed marks that will help seeing the cuts. Notice the difference between those and on the surface of a vase or bottle. This book helped me figure out what to expect of inscription based on where it is located and if it is part of the piece or just an ID.

The Gourd on page 28 and the ones on 30 and 31 are my favorite. And FYI, page 26 have a very nicely done wrap on a bottle.

Kindly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:39:33 pm »

Thanks David  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 05:29:18 am »

Dear all,
   I've been down with flu and bronchitis the last two weeks. I noticed it was quiet, but I was sleeping a lot, so figured it was me...  Grin
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 08:01:41 am »

Dear all,
I have spent one week in Cambridge, England, visiting friends. I had access to the web, but I thought not nice to be surfing on the net while at home of guests. I have been back last Saturday late afternoon. On the first day I visited the Fitzwilliam museum. I did took the pictures of some snuff bottles there but unfortunately after the exit some gentleman has stolen my handbag with all the money and the camera. Luckily the documents were in my pocket. So I have no pictures to show you.
I have been very busy also before to leave and will be for a while, because I did start to sell some of my porcelain on ebay (my name there is clayandbrush) because I have too many things and because I need to raise some funds. Guys it seems simple but to sell on ebay is a very time consuming task, much more than what I thought.
Anyway now I am back home and will surely have an eye here everyday.
Kind regards to everybody
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:29 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Why didn't you tell us you were selling on eBay.  I just looked at your sold items and saw a wonderful Blanc-de-Chine Guanyin that I would have paid many times what you sold it for. I will put you on my Watch List.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:23:23 am »

Thank you dear Tom. Yes, I think that because I am new on the venue I am not yet known as a reputable seller so although I can't complain about the price of some items, still some buyers is making good bargains. Many things has been sold at considerable less amount of what I paid. Just to make an example, the celadon censer that is listed by now costed me 700 euro ten years ago. But I really have too much things and don't want nor can have much money locked there. I think that all in all it must be accepted and the thing must be seen in the complete whole.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:42 pm »

Dear Joey,

Sorry to hear that you have been sick, hope you get well real soon.

I would like to know your opinion of the IPSB with the Ji Seal that I posted above.  In 1970 Wang Xisan is the only artist painting like that or?

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 04:02:53 pm »

Giovanni.. Can you share your eBay site with me ?
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 06:32:08 pm »

Dear Tom,
     Thank you. I'm on the road to recovery.
Liu Shouben, Li Kechang and Ye Shuying were also painting, though Ye Shuying was not as good as this.
best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Sorry to hear that you have been sick, hope you get well real soon.

I would like to know your opinion of the IPSB with the Ji Seal that I posted above.  In 1970 Wang Xisan is the only artist painting like that or?

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 06:44:40 pm »

Hi Joey,

Glad to hear you will survive. Smiley

Thanks for the information.  Since it is dated 1970 and signed only with a 'Ji' seal, I would say it is an unsigned Cultural Revolution era snuff bottle by Wang Xisan.  We know that members of Wang Xisan's Ji School still use that seal on their bottles while learning and I read that he created it to avoid being punished by the powers to be at that time.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:16 am »

Dear Tom,
     The bottle could be by Wang Xisan, but it could also be by Liu Shouben or Li Kechang. All three were quite good at that time, and could have executed the bottle.
     It could not be Ye Shuying, based on the quality, and we know that Ye Bengqi stopped painting in 1960.
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: