About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:02:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New Members Please Read / Inside Painted Bottle Abreviations Used Here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Members Please Read / Inside Painted Bottle Abreviations Used Here  (Read 67160 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: May 31, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

ICSBS - International Chinese Snuff Bottle Society
IPB - Inside Painted Bottle
E - Early Period.. 1800 to 1870
MP - Middle Period.. 1870 to 1950
M - Modern Period .. 1950 to 1990
VM - Very Modern Period .. Post 1990 CIPMA - Chinese Inside Painting of the Modern Age
DB - Data Base.. A data base of IPB artists put together by Peter

VM has been added for use within this forum after some discussion between members here

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:38:12 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

hndmarshall
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:12:47 pm »

Is there someplace to post if we don't know the age? being new I don't know or can't tell the age unless it is stated when I buy the bottle. Do you have a place where we can put a pic for identification possibly from those of you who can tell?.

thanks

Donna
Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »

Dear Donna,

You don't need to know the age before posting any bottles on the forum, for instance, if you have a inside painted bottle to share, you just post here:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/board,25.0.html

which includes all the inside painting bottles, incase you post it under the wrong category , we can always move it to the right category, and the members here can give you comments about the dating, artist etc... so no worry, go ahead do whatever you think its right.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

hndmarshall
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »

ok thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:15:37 pm »

George,
   This is a very useful chart. (i should have written that first!)
My only changes to the list would be:
1. to replace the word 'school' with 'period': A school in Chinese art has a master, and students. Like the Ye Family, etc. These periods each have a number of masters, who don't usually work together, and some have their own schools.
2. I would change the Early period to 1800-1870
3. the Middle Period should be 1870-1950.
4. I also agree with Peter: VM should start from 2000. (12:01am,1.Jan., to be precise! Grin)
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:44:41 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »

Hi George

This  is  a  very  useful  input  indeed. Many thanks !

I agree   with   Joey : change  'school'    to  'period'  ( even  though  I  know  that  the  term  'school'  is  loosely  used   vis-a-vis  'period' in the past  literature  re    the  long-term  development  of  IPBs  )

The    term 'school'   should  be  reserved   exclusively for the    current   4  (  now   5 )  major  Modern  Schools

As to the   definition  of  'VM'  =  Very  Modern  :  I will  join the   discussion  to  which  you gave a  link , but  the    correspondence  is  very  old and a  lot  of  water  has  flowed  under the   bridge   since  then.

But  off the  cuff  I  recommend    VM  should refer  to  bottles  painted  after   year  2000 ( not   1990)
Reason is  that  2000 is   a  convenient   turning point being the  millennium   year.  and   it  also  roughly  coincides  with  the   start  of  huge   collecting  interest  from the  West*   in  IPBs  (  e.g  David  Osborne, Bill  Patrick  etc )

A  small  handful  of   artists   were   ahead  of  their   time in the  last  1990's ,  especially  Wang  Guanyu  , but  the  movement   did  not  take  off  en masse until  post 2000

Year  2000  also roughly  marks   the  birth  of a  true renaissance  in  Modern  IPB  painting.  I can  now  begin to  detect  this  renaissance in    about  2000,  even   among   artists    who  date  back to the   late   80's  and  are  cited  in  J.H. Leung's  'New Look' .    Pre-2000  (  roughly) they  were  still  painting   stereo-typed   Modern  IPBs.  Post  2000  they  started  to  branch  out  into  new  styles and    freedom  and  BEAUTIFUL   new  art  forms. 

The   example-de- perfection  is   Fu Guoshun.  You can   trace   Fu Guoshun  way  back  in 'New  Look' , but  his  best  works  - at least  in my  opinion  -  came  post-2000  when  he  developed    completely  new  styles.

And  I  still  hold to my  claim  that  I  own  'the  most  beautiful IPB in the   world',  painted  by  Fu Guoshun  (which I use  as  my  icon  on the   Forum) .  I  would  honestly  part  with  all  my  300 +  collection   rather  than  part   with  that  one  bottle !

Cheers

Peter  ( back  in action again !)

*The  Singapore  collectors   were  very  active  in the   1990's,  and they  were   way  ahead  of their   time (full  marks  to  them !)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:33:49 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:09:49 pm »

Ok Joey and Peter...

Will make the changes a little later tonight..

Thank you both
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: