About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:52:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Inscribed yellow glass bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inscribed yellow glass bottle  (Read 580 times)
Haa
« on: February 19, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »

I bought this bottle a couple of years ago and think that it is a scholarly inscribed yellow glass bottle dating from the end of the 19th century. Can somebody give me more insight on the inscription and their thoughts?

Regards,

Henric

* photo 1.JPG (112.76 KB, 480x640 - viewed 53 times.)

* photo 2.JPG (121.66 KB, 480x640 - viewed 58 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:17:20 am »

Dear Henric,
     A really beautiful bottle! Thank you for posting it.
Was the quartz bottle from YF Yang? He used to have those beautiful stoppers, like the one on it.
Best,
 Shabbat Shalom from snowy Jerusalem (6 inches and counting!)
Joey
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:14:59 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:12:43 pm »

After posting on your cloisonne bottle, found this one of yours posted from a while ago..

I am really limited on being able to help with the poem. I searched the few books I have, but can not find it.

Really a beautiful bottle though !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:29:06 am »

Dear Henric,
     After George posted here, I realised I never said anything about the incised yellow glass bottle!
It looks to be incised with a diamond tipped tool, with a floral subject on one side and a calligraphic inscription in Xingkaishu on the reverse. 
     It's hard to read (the brocade pattern of the box does NOT show the bottle well; you'd be better advised to use a solid colour, and experiment with those close and distant from the colour of the bottle.
You could post a few pictures of the bottle on different background colours as a poll, and we could vote. We've done it before, to help members decide which stopper is better for a bottle.).
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Haa
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:28:02 pm »

Thank you for the advise -I will post better pictures soon. I am struggling somewhat with the technology issue since I will take pictures on my iphone - email to myself and then download them on to my laptop and then post them here - so its a production. Any advise to streamline the process???
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »

Dear Henric,

You gave a good laugh to everyone who's been a while on the Forum!

I'm infamous as totally useless in tech stuff. I get one friend to photograph my bottles with a camera; his brother puts it on a file and I send it to Steven or George. And they put the bottle up for me.
Or, I ask someone who has got one of my catalogues to copy an illustration to the Forum.

I don't know how good the camera is on a cell. - I don't own a cell.! - but assume you need a real camera to get good photos.

But even as you are doing it, if you just use a solid background, it will help in viewing the details of the bottle. The question is, a similar background or a contrasting one? Even a few pieces of A-4 paper of different colours could work. The idea is to remove the visual distraction.

Best,
        Joey

Thank you for the advise -I will post better pictures soon. I am struggling somewhat with the technology issue since I will take pictures on my iphone - email to myself and then download them on to my laptop and then post them here - so its a production. Any advise to streamline the process???
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 11:52:28 pm »

Hi Henric :

This is what I do... I am not sure it's the best way ...

1) Take picture with your iPhone or save any pictures (from auction sites etc - just tap on the pictures and iPhone will ask you if you want to save or copy it) into your iPhone album...
2) Open any photo album application with your Google on your iPhone (I use WikiAlbum) and go into your iPhone photo album using this application. (In this way, you will see that the pictures are nicely organized in your iPhone album according to days and sequence... If you try to access your iPhone album using a laptop or computer ... They give you 1000 files that is weirdly named and all messed up with little logic  Huh)
3) Download the iPhone pictures into your Photo Album application ... In my case WikiAlbum.
4) Now you can go to a laptop or computer and do as usual ... Write something and post pictures in the forum...your pictures are now freed from iPhone and has a copy inside your own photo album... WikiAlbum, PhotoBuck... Whatever..

I am sure there will be some better ways of doing things... But this is what I do for now... Grin

P/s : The only thing that i wish I can do is to find the http link on iPhone for a picture... If this can be done.... Then you can use the phone to write and paste pictures on the forum.... Now I can only write text and if I need pictures, still need to log in with my laptop

Pin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:41:28 am by AntPeople » Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Haa
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 03:04:59 pm »

Many thanks for the great advise! As suggested I retook the photos of the yellow incised bottle on a white background:

* yellow2.jpg (16.67 KB, 480x640 - viewed 21 times.)

* Yellow1.jpg (17.77 KB, 480x640 - viewed 21 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 06:19:52 am »

Dear Henric,
   MUCH BETTER on a solid background. Thank you.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: