About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 05:49:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Last stone Buddha bottle - elaborately carved - any age or value to this?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Last stone Buddha bottle - elaborately carved - any age or value to this?  (Read 234 times)
ileney

« on: February 06, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »

Hi snuff bottle experts,

Thank you for all your help.  Once again, same question before I drill through these bottles. This is my last stone bottle. It is the most elaborately carved, showing something different from each view. Bats on one side, fish on the other, a Buddha in front, and coins on the Buddha's back. I assume this one to have little if any value as well? It was sold to me as celadon jade, but I wonder if it is just soapstone or something else. I am not at all knowledgable about jade and find the many vcarieties and look-a-likes somewhat bewildering. Please let me know if it does have some value or is older than spanking brand new as I don't want to use it in my jewelry design by drilling through it or otherwise playing with it if that is the case. Also in pictures are more views of the ruby in zoisite bottle posted with thequartz figural bottles, with the same question, and a cloisonne box set that I am wondering if it could have been used for snuff, or what it was used for. The cloth box it came in says "Peking jewelry," but each separate box is so small, I can't imagine it was intended to hold jewelry. Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

* IMG_3228.jpg (103.95 KB, 480x640 - viewed 24 times.)

* IMG_3229.jpg (99.02 KB, 480x640 - viewed 23 times.)

* IMG_3232.jpg (85.12 KB, 480x640 - viewed 14 times.)

* IMG_3237.jpg (76.47 KB, 480x640 - viewed 13 times.)

* IMG_3235.JPG (78.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 19 times.)

* IMG_3253.jpg (126.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 18 times.)

* IMG_3259.jpg (169.98 KB, 480x640 - viewed 16 times.)

* IMG_3257-2.jpg (154.53 KB, 640x480 - viewed 21 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:47 pm »

Both stone bottles are contemporary if the first one is a stone which I certainly can't tell from the pics( there are a quite few of man made stone available at market right now) .

I like the second zoisite  one a lot, it has elegant shape and beautiful texture, it can be transferred to a beautiful jewelry I believe.

The box could be a candy box, but would like to know the size of it.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:13:50 pm »

Thank you so much again Steven,

Yes, I like the zoisite one quite a bit and would not have to drill it to use it in jewelry as it has handles.

The enamel box is actually a cluster of seven separate boxes that when put together measure about 4" by about 3.5". Individually, the largest box, the one in the center, is 2" by 1.75". Because of their small size, I just can't picture what they were used for and even thought maybe snuff? I bought it as a decorative oddity.

The "jade" carved bottle, I just don't know. I am sure it isn't agate, jasper, chrysoprase, onyx or aventurine, and it doesn't look like what I think of as jadeite, a sort of fibrous-looking stone, or nephrite, but I might not recognize either as I am not very experienced with jade. I know there are many appearances to jade and also that there are many look-a-likes. I suppose this carved bottle could also be some sort of soapstone or even a cultured or lab-grown material. It isn't a composite and doesn't feel like plastic or resin to me, but then again, I've seen some "carved stone" beads lately that are convincing feeling and listed as "cultured."

The two rutilated quartz figural snuffs (from my other post below) are odd. Can you confirm they are new and not valuable?

Thank you again for all your help.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: