About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:49:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

dating a Fo dog with its puppy

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: dating a Fo dog with its puppy  (Read 2080 times)
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 07:00:51 pm »

Dear Georges,

This is from the Enamel series of the Bloch collection book 6, Pink colour binding, 1197.

Looks like you have a JiaQing dated Fo Lion. I am quite sure yours belong to one of the batches but the wears are quite serious.

Cheers,
YT

* FoLion1.jpg (151.81 KB, 800x600 - viewed 52 times.)

* FoLion2.jpg (232.48 KB, 800x600 - viewed 33 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 05:03:56 pm »

Dear Georges,
    It has me stumped but I certainly prefer yours to the Crane collection example, the Sotheby's one or the last one.  I would tend to trust Giovanni's opinion re. Chinese ceramics, and he agrees it has age; the big question: is it Chinese or a Japanese copy of a Chinese original albeit early- to mid-19th C.?
    Damned if I know.  Wink
Shabbat Shalom,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:56:21 am »

Dear Georges,

Congratulations on a nice addition to your collection. Sorry for my late reply, but you have done good research already.  I agree with Joey that it is an early 19th century Chinese example.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

rosegl

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:02 pm »

Thanks guys for your useful comments.

In the meantime, I've found about 20 coloured examples in auction catalogues and books. The same contrast between coloured and white examples exists with recumbent lions. The white example is from my collection, the coloured one from an auction in 1985.

Joey: could all the commentators be wrong in attributing these bottles to China and the first half of the 19th century?

Best regards

Georges

* Fo Hund liegend Soth NY 160485.jpeg (124.35 KB, 588x353 - viewed 36 times.)

* Fo_liegend.jpg (37.73 KB, 512x223 - viewed 39 times.)

* Fo_liegend 2.jpg (36.47 KB, 497x238 - viewed 41 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 02:52:17 pm »

Dear all,
somehow I have missed the further posts in this thread.
Dear Tom B., you know Chinese porcelain very well. Don't you think that what we see in the detail of the face that Georges has shown in his post #19 is really unusual? What is that blue enamel? It is completely different from the usual one. It has a dull tone, it is has a mat surface, it is full of big burst bubbles like those seen in Jun glaze.
Beside that, I also found strange the red enamel, which is completely different from those seen on Chinese ware.
To me this is  a strange bottle. I can't say that it is Japanese because I know almost nothing in that field, but if Chinese it is a really odd one. Unless the pictures are completely fooling me.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rosegl

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:33 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

apart from the wear, is there really such a tremendous difference between the 5 attached pictures?

Kind regards

Georges

* Fo_lions.jpg (127.75 KB, 1485x391 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:16 pm »

All,

This is just a thought or maybe more of a question.  If documentation on green eyed dragon porcelain bottles indicates the such works are Guangxu and later, why would not the same apply to these Fu Dog molded pieces?  Just a question.

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »

Dear Georges,
    I first stated I thought it was Chinese and ca.1800-1850, but that I'm not good at judging over the 'net.
   Also, Giovanni knows Chinese ceramics much better than me.
   But so does TomB. TomB agrees with my first statement, that it is Jiaqing/Daoguang. I wrote you that I liked it better than the other examples posted (Crane Collection, one from Bonham's (I think a Bloch bottle), etc.).   
   I don't know if auction house appraisers' opinions are all valid. From experience, I'd say not.  Wink
But I still like this bottle.
Best,
 Joey

Thanks guys for your useful comments.

In the meantime, I've found about 20 coloured examples in auction catalogues and books. The same contrast between coloured and white examples exists with recumbent lions. The white example is from my collection, the coloured one from an auction in 1985.

Joey: could all the commentators be wrong in attributing these bottles to China and the first half of the 19th century?

Best regards

Georges
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 12:41:34 pm »

Dear Giovanni, Joey, and all,

For me there is no doubt that this is an early example of molded porcelain snuff bottle.  The condition with extreme wear is uncommon, but I have seen a number of early glass snuff bottles that are similarly worn as though they were tumbling down a sandy riverbed for the last 150 years. Smiley

The  porcelain paste and glaze are distinctly Chinese.  The enamels with the exception of the later added rose-red wash, are exactly what I would ant to see on a late 18th-early 19th C Famille Rose Chinese porcelain.  If you look at the face of the puppy you can see that the offending red was added later.  The original red at the base is spot on.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

rosegl

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 02:24:51 pm »

Dear Tom B.,

thanks for your expertise!

Regards

Georges
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:52 pm »

Dear Georges,
to me there is a difference about the five examples, I see the last one (which is your one) less detailed than the other four. It looks younger but I can be wrong. My problem is with the enamels and glaze, which are new to me. In the first picture below we can see that the blue is flaked off in some places and you said that in those places there is the white glaze under the blue. Hence the blue is an over glaze blue enamel. But in the second picture we see the blue and the white glaze perfectly fused together, the blue is sunk into the glaze. That is very odd to me.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* index.php.jpg (81.62 KB, 450x600 - viewed 29 times.)

* index2.php.jpg (99.36 KB, 553x652 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

rosegl

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:42 am »

Dear all,
one of the problems might be that illustrations in books and catalogues are not detailed enough. I just discover a similar bottle on an online page by Christie's (https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/chinese-works-of-art-online-only-snuff-bottles-books/an-enameled-buddhist-lion-form-porcelain-bottle-14/1062/). At first glance, everything seems okay. There is however a possibility to zoom for seeing the details. You then discover similar deteriorations to the blue glaze. In the condition report it reads:
"We have sought to record changes in the condition of this piece acquired after its initial manufacture. Some blue areas appear to have been overpainted on the shoulders, legs, and head. The enamels and gilding are rubbed on the waist areas of the bottle, including the hind legs, the ears, the brocade ball and the face. There is a small chip to the nose and minute polished nicks to the mouthrim."
How about other items?

Kind regards

Georges

* Fo Christies cub Kopie.jpg (122.86 KB, 2034x1032 - viewed 30 times.)

* Fo Chisties Kopf Kopie.jpg (108.25 KB, 1842x1102 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
cshapiro

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »

I wanted to revive this thread with a Buddhist Lion bottle that I recently acquired that is similar to the one George posted in this thread. The bottle seems to have age, but I cannot find this particular mold listed anywhere. There are big differences in this mold and the previous ones listed - the lion's arm is crooked up, the facial expression is different, the baby is facing to the side, etc. It's also very very dirty and appears to have some oxidation, but I'm afraid to clean it for fear that would damage it. Would appreciate opinions and would like to know if anyone else has seen this particular mold. Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:25:33 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 06:12:10 pm »

The bottle belongs to Georges, from Switzerland; rather than George, from Washington state.
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »

Oh! Gotcha - sorry Georges and George - my mistake.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:05:27 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
cshapiro

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 08:52:11 am »

Hey good morning,

I posted this Buddhist Lion bottle a couple of days ago. I was wondering if any members had seen this particular mold, and could point me to references? (see original post two posts back)

thanks!
Cathy
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 11:42:23 am »

I can not help Cathy... Sorry !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 02:13:33 pm »

Thanks George! It's obscure for sure! In one of my books Hugh Moss mentions there were a lot of different molds for these and was looking for examples. I don't have all of the ICSBS journals so don't know if he ever followed up.
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: