About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 12:32:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Organic bottle - deer horn

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Organic bottle - deer horn  (Read 977 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 02:54:09 pm »

Dear David,
    I was just pulling your leg when I asked why 'sheepishly'; I know the adjective.  Grin
I just decided to use the Latin genus of Sika deer (Cervus Nippon, called 'Axis deer' in Hawaii; Chinese Sika on Taiwan and China; Japanese Sika (Shka, actual pronunciation in Japanese) in the Japanese archipelago.

But re.the Calendar. Your New Year is by this star calendar, NOT the Lunar? This is confusing to me.
Best,
 Joey

Dear Joey,

I recall there is a different calendar from the lunar calendar (the calendar we used to track days for the seasonal change). The different one is the star calendar,  Huh divided into 24 or 28 zones or something... Will see if I can find it on wiki latter today.

Grin One calendar for the the Heavens, one for the humans.

Why 'sheepishly' and not 'cervusly' or 'deerly'  Grin

LOL, that might be from reading too many english Fantasy or tween Adventure books (Hardy boys, Tim-Tim, Nancy Drew, etc...). They use sheepishly to describe someone when he/she is slightly embarrassed by a somewhat minor but foolish mistake they did.

After checking Wiki what is 'cervusly' (good one). Next time I will try 'puduly' or 'steenbokly' to also play on the size one feels when making such a mistake.

Warmly,
David

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 08:49:11 pm »

After checking Wiki what is 'cervusly' (good one). Next time I will try 'puduly' or 'steenbokly' to also play on the size one feels when making such a mistake.

Dear David,

Perhaps we can establish a hierarchy of terms for different degrees of embarrassment, starting from 'sheepish'. 'Steenbokly' or 'pronghorny' sound like they could be near the TOP end, since they have quite sharp horns for butting.  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 10:26:22 pm »

Dear Joey,

You got me,  Cheesy I thought you were serious regarding 'sheepishly'.

The Chinese New Year is the same (for us too), based on the Lunar calendar. (Frankly, until you mentioned it, I did not even know/notice that the year of the Goat/Sheep starts earlier. )

When you asked why the Year of the Goat/Sheep starts earlier, first confusion, then it triggered an old fragment or recollection regarding hearing about a "star" or "heaven" calendar. I don't remember much, just vaguely that it is 24 or 28 sections and I thought the start/end time of the 12 Animals + set of something else are based on it.

I read what Pin wrote, it feels different. But, I really don't know more, so will defer to what he wrote until I have time to find some info online or books (perhaps I Ching?).

Sorry for being so vague, it is not something I have much interest in before getting interested in snuff bottles. And most of these more unusual recollections were from when I was 12/13 or younger and I have to admit I tend to glaze over when they talk about things like this.  Grin

Warmly,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:31:57 pm »

Dear Tom,

Great idea  Wink, while you work on a handbook of bottle identification. I can work on a note on differently ways/degree of ending a post.

Warmly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: