About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 15, 2024, 10:59:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Organic bottle - deer horn

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Organic bottle - deer horn  (Read 976 times)
OIB
Private Boards

« on: February 02, 2015, 02:26:47 am »

An organic material bottle - deer horn. ( 65mm height and oval shape body of 25 x 30 mm )
Mouth also slight oval shape around 10mm diameter.
Half of depth of the internal is hollow according to the internal structure of a deer horn

For sharing and exchange of ideas.

Inn Bok

* IMG_7993.JPG (108.81 KB, 457x800 - viewed 33 times.)

* IMG_7998.JPG (92.2 KB, 694x600 - viewed 27 times.)

* IMG_7997.JPG (77.76 KB, 610x600 - viewed 15 times.)

* IMG_8001.JPG (76.8 KB, 600x607 - viewed 19 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 02:46:13 am »

Another deer horn bottle ( 45mm along the central axis  x  30 mm diameter ), cavity about 30 mm deep.

Inn Bok

* IMG_8002.JPG (125.26 KB, 597x800 - viewed 18 times.)

* IMG_8003.JPG (110.09 KB, 468x800 - viewed 11 times.)

* IMG_8006.JPG (95.57 KB, 600x738 - viewed 17 times.)

* IMG_8008.JPG (96.72 KB, 790x600 - viewed 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:57 am »

Dear Inn Bok,
    2 interesting snuff bottles. Thank you for posting them.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 03:55:13 am »

Nice bottles indeed, but I would discard the stoppers/spoons.. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:15:18 am »

Dear George,
    I agree re.the spoons, but not the stoppers.
Best,
Joey

Nice bottles indeed, but I would discard the stoppers/spoons.. 
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:27:22 am »

Inn Bok,

I like the appearance of these deer horn bottles. Many old European items such as knives and magnifying glasses have deer horn handles, so it is a familiar material in the West. I once read somewhere that deer horn is considered in Chinese culture to be a fire element, consequently NOT good for holding snuff, which is also a fire element and needs a 'cool' container for balance. Is there any truth in that?

Tom
PS: I would try to find another organic material for the stoppers, which will better compliment the horn. The spoons look fine, but are they long enough to reach the bottom of the interior?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:20 am »

Dear Inn Bok,

I've been meaning to correct a small error:
Deer have antlers, not horns. Thus, the material is properly call 'deer antler', not 'deer horn'.

Antlers, on members of the deer family, are grown as an extension of the animal's skull. They are true bone and are a single structure They are generally found only on males. Antlers are shed and regrown each year.

Horns, found on pronghorn, bighorn sheep, bison, and many other bovine, are two-part structures. An interior of bone (also an extension of the skull) is covered by an exterior sheath grown by specialized hair follicles, as are your fingernails. In fact, your fingernails and the exterior sheath of horns are made of very similar materials. Horns are never shed and continue to grow throughout the animals life.

Best,
        Joey
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31:37 pm »

Antlers, on members of the deer family, are grown as an extension of the animal's skull. They are true bone and are a single structure They are generally found only on males. Antlers are shed and regrown each year.

Horns, found on pronghorn, bighorn sheep, bison, and many other bovine, are two-part structures. An interior of bone (also an extension of the skull) is covered by an exterior sheath grown by specialized hair follicles, as are your fingernails. In fact, your fingernails and the exterior sheath of horns are made of very similar materials. Horns are never shed and continue to grow throughout the animals life.

Joey,

If you pulled this information off the top of your head I'm going to be really impressed!  But then again your mind does work in some wonderful ways.  I’m still trying to figure out if your retention of details and memory is the aspergers or an associated effect, a pure memory thing, or related to your oral story telling.  Whatever the source, it is a treasure with your recall of events and how your paint them.  You can also do pure facts as indicated above.   Cheesy     

All my best, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:09:45 am »

Dear Charll,

This info comes from having a herd of Japanese Sika deer (Cervus nippon) in Ireland. Once I got interested in them, I started studying them.

And then I thought about the Ram's Horn, so important and symbolic in Jewish tradition, due to the Sacrifice of Isaac, and thus Rosh HaShana (Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement).

So I learned about the differences. I once thought of making a collection of 'Shofarot' (Ram's Horns), and trying to get a Bighorn Ram's horn, and a Bison's horn, etc. Because one pulls off the outer layer, and it becomes the 'Shofar', it should be quite easy to convert them to use (plus, all I'd have to do is send the horns to a 'Shofar' maker, and pay him to do the hard work!  Cheesy).

How I retain the info and pull it when needed? That's the question. Who knows. Google and Wikipedia help a lot.  Roll Eyes

Best,
      Joey

Joey,

If you pulled this information off the top of your head I'm going to be really impressed!  But then again your mind does work in some wonderful ways.  I’m still trying to figure out if your retention of details and memory is the aspergers or an associated effect, a pure memory thing, or related to your oral story telling.  Whatever the source, it is a treasure with your recall of events and how your paint them.  You can also do pure facts as indicated above.   Cheesy     

All my best, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:23 am »

Joey,

Thanks for the correction. I should have used the term ' antler ' instead of horn.

As to the curved spoon, my thought was that the bottle maker / user wanted the spoon to flow with the curved shaped of the bottle. The length of the spoon, incidentally, is long enough for the internal because the base of the bottle accounts for about 1/3 of the entire length of its central axis. This suggests to me that a fairly extended length of the internal part of the antler is hollow ( so not much hollowing effort would be required, it seems ).

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:41 am »

Dear Inn Bok,
     I don't think it is hollow. I would reckon it must be solid, since it is the stag's weapon of choice, when fighting other stags for dominance (and the right to shtupp all the females in the herd!).
     If the antlers were hollow, I assume they'd break easily. They don't tend to (I've collected lots of antlers in Ireland, since they knock them off each Feb., when they get itchy. Then the wound forms a scab, and the antlers start to grow anew).
    I must admit that I've not cut one lengthwise to check, however.
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:27 am »

Dear Joey and Inn Bok,

Antlers are not hollow, and have mallow-like mass inside them. So, perhaps the hollowing is removal of this mass.

While horn is like fingernail/hair and is hollow. I can't recall whether grown deer antlers can be counted as fire based, as I don't recall ever seeing any kind except "velvet" or young antler being sold in stores.

I don't think it will dry out the snuff once prepared, but would wonder if it will impart any "extra" taste.  Grin

It did not mention whether it is hollow or not, but a quote from Wiki.

Each antler grows from an attachment point on the skull called a pedicle. While an antler is growing, it is covered with highly vascular skin called velvet, which supplies oxygen and nutrients to the growing bone.[7] Antlers are considered one of the most exaggerated cases of male secondary sexual traits in the animal kingdom,[8] and grow faster than any other mammal bone.[9] Growth occurs at the tip, and is initially cartilage, which is later replaced by bone tissue. Once the antler has achieved its full size, the velvet is lost and the antler's bone dies. This dead bone structure is the mature antler. In most cases, the bone at the base is destroyed by osteoclasts and the antlers fall off at some point.[7] As a result of their fast growth rate, antlers are considered a handicap since there is an immense nutritional demand on deer to re-grow antlers annually, and thus can be honest signals of metabolic efficiency and food gathering capability.[10]

Warmly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:16 pm »

Dear Joey and Inn Bok,

I meant marrow... not mallow.

Antlers are not hollow, and have mallow-like mass inside them. So, perhaps the hollowing is removal of this mass.

Sheepishly....
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 05:22:24 am »

Why 'sheepishly' and not 'cervusly' or 'deerly'  Grin
Joey

Sheepishly....
David
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 05:51:29 am »

It is the year of the goat but nowaday youngsters also associate it with sheep as both are called 羊
 Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:25:52 am »

Dear YT,
    Is that 'Yang', in Pinyin?

I thought that Chinese New Year, being based on the Lunar calendar, dates a new year from the New Moon. The next new moon is on the night of the 19th of February. last one was on the night of the 20th.
    Isn't Chinese New Year (Year of the Goat) starting on the 19th?
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:14:14 am »

Dear Joey,

Yes that is Yang. Your Chinese is really good.

As for the dating, I'm not sure at all. Always thot CNY first day is the start of the new horoscope, until I saw Pin's explaination.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 10:59:45 am »

Dear Joey,

I recall there is a different calendar from the lunar calendar (the calendar we used to track days for the seasonal change). The different one is the star calendar,  Huh divided into 24 or 28 zones or something... Will see if I can find it on wiki latter today.

Grin One calendar for the the Heavens, one for the humans.

Why 'sheepishly' and not 'cervusly' or 'deerly'  Grin

LOL, that might be from reading too many english Fantasy or tween Adventure books (Hardy boys, Tim-Tim, Nancy Drew, etc...). They use sheepishly to describe someone when he/she is slightly embarrassed by a somewhat minor but foolish mistake they did.

After checking Wiki what is 'cervusly' (good one). Next time I will try 'puduly' or 'steenbokly' to also play on the size one feels when making such a mistake.

Warmly,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 11:04:11 am »

Dear YT,

Not just youngsters, even publications translated to english tends to translate it as sheep instead of goats.

Grin The image of a fluffy white sheep carries across better than a irritable goat with odd eyes and sharp horns.

Warmly,
Davi
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »

Dear Joey,

I just read the one Pin already posted on the nice IP bottle thread started by him, a little different from my vague memories. But, most likely I got confused. I might check it in more detail after finishing a few books/papers on jade, but I think his information are usually pretty good.

Kindly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: