About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 15, 2024, 11:04:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Hello From Missouri

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello From Missouri  (Read 1238 times)
murreywalker
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:38:12 am »

My wife and I have a small collection of antique and contemporary bottles.

However my purpose today, is to try to get some input on what my daughter in law found at an estate sale.

She was told is was a snuff spoon. Personally, I have my doubts, but in things such as this, I'm still using training wheels. ;-)

The overall length of this device is about six inches.

Thanks In Advance!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker/image/158979674/large
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:09 am »

Dear Murreywalker,
      Yes it is, but I believe it is Scottish rather than Chinese, and for use with a Scottish Snuff Mull (a large snuff box made of a small ram's horn).
      I saw one in the Cavalry & Guards Club Dining Room in London. There was an oval Mahogany platter, about 12 inches by 8 inches, and a bit over an inch thick.  Placed  on top on silver supports, was a silver and mother of pearl snuff scoop like the one you posted; behind it, also placed on silver supports, was a Snuff Mull of an 8 inch long ram's horn with a hinged silver 'trap door' in a  silver frame sealing the open end.
      After dining, when some gentlemen lit up cigars with the port,  they passed the platter around, and those who so desired, took the Mull in one hand, opened the 'trap door',  picked up the snuff scoop, and used it to remove some snuff.  They then replaced the two pieces on the platter and passed it on around the table. They also had a supply of loud tartan design cotton handkerchiefs, for those who took the snuff to use to sneeze into.
    When I first saw it, the scoop end actually reminded me of an Irish Georgian Marrow scoop or spoon in my possession. When I asked, I was told the above info.
    Hope it is of use,
Shabbat Shalom,
   Joey
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:56:40 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:00:25 am »

Hello and welcome ...

Interesting spoon.. Quite a story from Joey to go along with finding out exactly where this is from .
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:42 am »

Dear George,
     It was thanks to snuff bottles that I had luncheon at the Cavalry & Guards Club in London! A fellow collector hosted me. The dining room at my club, The Sloane Club, is much better. But not as interesting an atmosphere.
Shabbat Shalom,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

murreywalker
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:20:43 am »

Dear Murreywalker,
      Yes it is, but I believe it is Scottish rather than Chinese, and for use with a Scottish Snuff Mull (a large snuff box made of a small ram's horn).
      I saw one in the Cavalry & Guards Club Dining Room in London. There was an oval Mahogany platter, about 12 inches by 8 inches, and a bit over an inch thick.  Placed  on top on silver supports, was a silver and mother of pearl snuff scoop like the one you posted; behind it, also placed on silver supports, was a Snuff Mull of an 8 inch long ram's horn with a hinged silver 'trap door' in a  silver frame sealing the open end.
      After dining, when some gentlemen lit up cigars with the port,  they passed the platter around, and those who so desired, took the Mull in one hand, opened the 'trap door',  picked up the snuff scoop, and used it to remove some snuff.  They then replaced the two pieces on the platter and passed it on around the table. They also had a supply of loud tartan design cotton handkerchiefs, for those who took the snuff to use to sneeze into.
    When I first saw it, the scoop end actually reminded me of an Irish Georgian Marrow scoop or spoon in my possession. When I asked, I was told the above info.
    Hope it is of use,
Shabbat Shalom,
   Joey

Joey, I see where you're of "Hero Status".

Couldn't agree more!

Many Thanks,
Murrey
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:17 am »

Dear Murrey,
    Thank you. Oh, I forgot to mention that the mother of pearl bit on the end is for breaking up snuff clumps inside the mull.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:36:59 am »

Dear Joey

Thanks for the detailed information. I'd never have guessed, and my ancestors are Scottish!
Is your middle name 'Mac' by any chance?   Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:47:46 am »

Dear Tom,

No, it's Baruch! As I always say," Jews do one thing well. We study well!"   Grin

When I first wore my Wexford Tartan kilt as a Wexford Senator to the House of Lords, complete with a Kipa or skullcap in the Wexford colours of purple and gold (I'd been invited by  Baroness May Blood of Northern Ireland), a gentleman asked me if I'd got my kilt from Cohen & Sons, kilt-makers on the Golden Mile in Edinburgh. I replied that I'd bought it at Kinloch Anderson, in Leith.
I said,"If they are good enough for the Queen, they are good enough for this queen!".  Cheesy

Shabbat Shalom,
    Joey

Dear Joey

Thanks for the detailed information. I'd never have guessed, and my ancestors are Scottish!
Is your middle name 'Mac' by any chance?   Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: