About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:54:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Any recommendation for a book on tool marking?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any recommendation for a book on tool marking?  (Read 1283 times)
David

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:42 pm »

Dear George,

A few more links on tool mark articles. It will take me a while to read and think about them after I am done with the search phase.

Thank you very much for showing me how to search on keywords other than Jade Carving  Grin Searching for wear, grind, quartz, hard stones, is much more fruitful! Here are 3 interesting articles on line.

The first and third are direct downloads, so don't click if concerned about bad websites.

The identification of carving techniques on Chinese jade Margaret Saxa,), Nigel D. Meeksa, Carol Michaelsonb, Andrew P. Middletona

Investigating the tool marks of stone reliefs from the Mausoleum of Cao Cao (AD155eAD220) in China
Zhou Gua,b, Weibin Panc, Guoding Songa,b, Zhenwei Qiua,b, Yimin Yanga,b,*, Changsui Wanga

Inscriptions, filing, grinding and polishing marks on the bronze weapons from the Qin Terracotta Army in China
Xiuzhen Janice Li a, b, *, Marcos Martinón-Torres b, Nigel D. Meeks c, Yin Xia a, Kun Zhao a

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEMQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jadebase.com%2Fforum%2Fview_attachment.html%3Fpsn%3D8%26tid%3D12166&ei=cjHJVPP3Ms3goATd9YCQCQ&usg=AFQjCNFd9B3RVq_5UYi7RSbpaVzFOFLsvw

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/people/staff/martinon_torres/usercontent_profile/Li_et_al_2011_Xian_marks.pdf

www.escience.cn/system/download/66039

Enjoy,
David
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:10:02 pm by David » Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »

Excellent David !

I am making a list, and many of the books you have shared recently are on top of my wish list ..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
David

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:39 pm »

Dear George,

Do you have the Chinese Jade Carving?

I am still enthralled by Art of the Dragon (Thank you to Giovanni), so will read it next.

It came today, and just the 18 B&W photos (1938/9) of the different (kids to elder) jade carvers using their different tools on different pieces of carving is worth the cost.

I can now understand (just from the photos alone), why this book is so heavily cited.

Warmly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 04:04:00 am »

Dear George,

Do you have the Chinese Jade Carving?

David

I am going to guess you may have meant, "The Story of Jade" book ?  If so then yes, got it.. Those pics were a big part of what got me to purchase it.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
David

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 12:29:59 pm »

Dear George,

That's right! I have a feeling it is going to be one of my favorite books on jade. There is even that picture where the carver is holding a snuff bottle with the gouge (wa-tzu), VII b.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: