About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:35:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Any recommendation for a book on tool marking?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any recommendation for a book on tool marking?  (Read 1281 times)
David

« on: January 25, 2015, 02:47:24 am »

Dear George,

Both articles are very good, Hoffman's is more general, but the questions are very good. It would be nice if he included some answers to his question. But, very useful to use as a checklist for me in the future.

From his references, this one seems most promising. But, could not find one and even if I did, not sure if I can understand it in Chinese simplified...
Yang Boda. Zhuanshi Guyu Banwei Yu Jiankao. (Commentaries on Archaic Jades and Their Fakes.) Beijing: 1998. (Text in Chinese)

While checking him out, this one seems to be good too, but same concern and issue.
Yang, Boda. 1993. Zhenwan diaoke, biyanhu 珍玩雕刻、鼻煙壺 [Appreciating carvings and snuff bottles]. Taibei: Youshi wenhua shiye gongsi.

I read his article on glass in one of the museum catalog where the american scholar, translated it. It was really good (Chinese Glass of Qing Dynasty regarding Robert H. Clague Collection).

Especially, informative to tool marking is the Carving Technique one. (How did you even find it?  Shocked Very impressive!  Cheesy ) I never thought anyone will go that far/deep to do such research on antique crystals. This is so different from my image of archeology!

I enjoyed especially section 4 and want to sleep on it and read it again tomorrow. It has been a long while since I last read a good scientific paper. Thank you for finding this one.

I think reference 5, 6, 12, 17, 19 and 21 will be interesting. But, the key one I think will be 5 and 17. Unfortunately except for 5, all the others seems to be from some kind of specialty journals or research paper. I checked a few and they are pretty steep for an article.

Luckily, 5 is a book and I found some on Amazon, it also was quoted 3 time after the first reference in 5. Since it is also a subject I have interest in, I went ahead and ordered a good used copy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IV8EC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A28LGL409KF3VH

And for good measure, I bought a catalog that the same author wrote for under 7.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0571085989/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1VL5VILF8V5J6

Happily, with lots of gratitude for digging these 2 up! Very impressed.  Smiley
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: