About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 08:25:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Tom B

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom B  (Read 4149 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: January 18, 2015, 05:27:59 am »

I did not realize this seller was Tom until I inquired about some of the bottles. Thought might share his eBay listings here.. Some nice ones..

I am going to bid on the Wu Jianzhu as I like the calligraphy ..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=301485684939&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=downsizing13&_sop=10
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:54:19 am »

Thanks for the heads up George.

I noticed these 'AA battery' posts yesterday. Some of the blue and red porcelains caught my eye, as did the silk purses.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:57:11 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:06:01 am »

I was looking at some of the bottles too. Nice Yixing there. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:24:52 pm »

I was admiring the single multi-coloured silk embroidery on blue background pouch. The Yixing enamel bottle is very fine too.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:33:50 pm »

Hi George,

Thank you for posting this information for me.  I meant to make an announcement but have been too busy playing catch-up with listing the collection.  I had a computer glitch and lost all of the photos I had prepared.  Cry  That is why I wasn't able to list them all at one time as planned. 

It seems everyone agrees that the enameled Yixing is a keeper and I have received a few offers to "Buy-it-Now" from various eBayers.  That is one of several I will sorely miss, but collecting is a luxury that I cannot afford at the moment. 

Hi Tom, you mentioned my 'AA battery" listings and I hope you approve.  I like to use the battery to show scale as I have sometimes purchased things that were much smaller or bigger than I had imagined from scale-lose photos.  The blue & red underglaze porcelains are so varied and interesting in design that one could form a pleasing collection of nothing but.  The silk purses are very hard to find and make a nice addition to a SB collection.

Hi YT, you asked if this is my personal collection and the answer is "mostly they are".   I will admit to buying some with the intention to re-sell as soon as possible, but the better ones were collected so that I could enjoy Chinese works of art with minimal space necessary.  I am hopeful to be able to resume collecting on a limited scale after we accomplish our retirement goals.  And 'Yes' we will consolidate shipping.

Hi Joey, you know I have never seen another pouch that is as nicely done and in such good condition as this blue silk one.  I like to imagine that it was used to carry a Ding Erzhong IP snuff bottle or something wonderful like that.   

FYI:
At 67 years old I find myself in the unenviable position of having to work just as much as ever.  That isn't the worst of it since the same amount of work takes me much longer than when I was younger.   In 2012 we started to liquidate our collection of German and Chinese Antiques just after my father died. It was then that reality came crashing in on me and I realized how short life is and how quickly we can become incapacitated or even just a memory.  We had a very pleasant surprise with the sale of one of our Chinese vases that we had owned for a long time, but it wasn't quite enough to meet our goals.  Downsizing our home is our next big goal in an effort to get debt free with a low monthly overhead. 

I hope this helps explain my situation a little. 

Best regards,

Tom B.

PS -
Snuff Bottle Forum Members Special Offer:
[/size]

As a special offer to my friends here on the snuff bottle forum, I am offering "pay one time shipping".  If you buy more than item from this collection, you will only be charged S&H for the first one.  That means buy 2 or more snuff bottles and pay only for the shipping of 1 snuff bottle.   Just be sure to mention the 'Snuff Bottle Forum' as a note with your PayPal payment. 

So I have added 18 snuff bottles more as 10-day listings yesterday and will add some 7-day listings with some nice snuff bottles on Thursday, so they will all end on the evening of Thursday, January 29th. 

Then I will be listing as many more 10-day and 7-day eBay listings as I can prepare next week so they end on the evening of Thursday, February 5th. 
So good luck with your bidding everyone!

* 100_2122.JPG (176.56 KB, 1206x902 - viewed 41 times.)

* 00 Group 01 Snuff.JPG (175.85 KB, 1300x568 - viewed 41 times.)

* 00 Group 01 Snuff Huge.JPG (194.75 KB, 1300x902 - viewed 39 times.)

* 100_0888.jpg (237.6 KB, 1248x903 - viewed 35 times.)

* 100_2657.JPG (114 KB, 1069x902 - viewed 31 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:43:49 pm »

Dear Tom,
     Using the battery for scale is Brilliant! It really helps show the relative size.
Good luck in getting great prices, so you are able to do what you want.
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:53:51 pm »

Dear Joey,

Thanks for the vote of confidence and well wishes.  I am hoping that we will accomplish our goals later this year and be able to enjoy time on the forum again.  Smiley

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

Dear Forum Members,

I am hoping that someone can help me to place the huge blue overlay glass SB that will be listed next week.  Has anyone ever seen such a huge overlay glass snuff bottle? 

The overlapping leaves around the neck are something that I have seen on bottles from the mid to late 18th century, but I am not too sure about it.  Any opinions?

Thanks,

Tom B.

* Snuff Forum1.jpg (240.36 KB, 1246x899 - viewed 36 times.)

* 100_3268 (3)G.jpg (146.77 KB, 1200x902 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:52:52 pm »

Hi Tom B,

Nice bottles!! I wish you can do good on those bottles.Smiley I might place some bids on a couple of them, and wish me luck .Smiley

I am not good at glass overlay, I can't give you a date on the big table bottle or mother bottle. But as I know the table bottle was not so often seen in 18th, since the snuff was still a luxury stuff in 18th, so not so many people can  afford a big bottle of snuff.   so my guess this bottle could be a 19th bottle.Smiley

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:33 am »

Neither am I good at these, but the collar design reminds me of some IP bottles with overlay that show this same collar design.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:58:55 am »

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your reply and the kind offer to all the forumers here. It is a pity you are selling your collection and that is why I asked the question sensitively.

As for your large bottle question, I just found a 12cm 18th century overlay link but design is totally different. So there is indeed large bottle in the 18th century.
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-chinese-large-red-overlay-glass-snuff-5614855-details.aspx

All the best in your sale. Smiley

Cheers,
YT

Ps, Oops forgot to put the link  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:25:44 am by YT » Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:17 am »

Best wishes for a very successful sale tomorrow.  Thanks for the kind offer for shipping.  Blessings to you. Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 10:39:35 am »

Sorry, I meant 19th Century in my last post

Has anyone ever seen such a huge overlay glass snuff bottle? 

The overlapping leaves around the neck are something that I have seen on bottles from the mid to late 18th century, but I am not too sure about it.  Any opinions?

Thanks,
Tom B.

Dear Steven,

Good to hear from you. Good luck bidding, I hope you get something that you like.  I am sorry for the confusion about the date mix up on my part; I would tend to agree with a 19th Century date.

Good point George; the neck does show some similarity to the carved IP bottles. 

Dear YT,

You and all of my other friends on the SB Forum are very welcome to the special shipping conditions.  I want to 'give back' something for all of the great knowledge I have gained from the discussions here.

A a big thank you for finding that big 18th Century example, I learned something again.  I have looked through that sale a few times over the last two years and never realized that it was so large. That is why I like to put my little AA battery in for scale.  Wink 

Thank you for the well wishes and I wish you good luck bidding.

Dear Jo,

Thank you for the well wishes.  As a brand new 'eBayer' I hope you are enjoying the thrill of bidding on an auction that goes 24 hours a day right up to the last minute. I wish you good luck bidding also and hope you can get something you will cherish.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

David

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:07 am »

Hello Tom B.,

Please take care and I sincerely hope everything works out for you.

Good luck, I wish (except for the ones Steven & YT are interested in) 2 deep pocketed, stubborn and confident bidders on each of you bottles.

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 01:27:30 pm »

Thanks Tom for your kind words. May the sale bring what you wish and best wishes to all forum members bidding on these fine bottles. I have my fingers crossed on possibly capturing one that has pulled on my heart strings!!! Beautiful bottles are so addictive!! LOL   Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »

Hello David,

Thank you for the well wishes, its nice to have friends supporting me.

Dear Jo,

I hope that you get the bottle that you drawn to; it would so nice to know that it found a new home where it will be cherished. 

Good luck to all Snuff bottle Forum members tonight and next Thursday.

Best regards,

Tom B.

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Haa
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »

Dear Tom B.,

I managed to buy five glass bottles from your collection you recently listed: i) the yellow glass overlay bottle with the fish design; ii) the red overlay mallow flower bottle (I have a companion bottle I bought from Robert Kleiner - so they make a lovely pair); iii) the green overlay wufu bat bottle with the shortened neck; iv) the coffee brown bottle with the green magpie and flower design; and v) the red and white overlay bottle with fish design.

Rest assure they will be in a good home and I managed to match them with some great antique stoppers. I will post some pictures soon.

Many thanks and I hope all works well.

Regards,

Henric
Report Spam   Logged
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 08:07:24 pm »

Hello Henric,

Welcome to the forum, I am glad that you have joined this great group.  It sounds as though you have a very nice collection and I am sure that your experience will be helpful here. 

I look forward to seeing those snuff bottles with better stoppers, that is an area that has always been problematic for me. Smiley

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Haa
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 03:26:59 pm »

Here two of the bottles with the newly fitted stoppers.  I am particularly happy that the tortoiseshell spoon and stopper fit on the red overlay bottle.

* Redfish1.jpg (16.95 KB, 458x611 - viewed 31 times.)

* Yellow Carp2.jpg (16.25 KB, 458x611 - viewed 29 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 04:33:29 pm »

Hello Henric,

It makes a big difference in appearance; like they went to the 'beauty parlor'.  Very few of my bottles had a proper stoppers and I am always challenged to pick one that enhances the bottle.

Having said that, I do think the beautiful Blue & White bottle you recently won does have a very nice stopper already.

Best regards,

Tom B.

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: