About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:24:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Chinese Art: A Guide to Motifs and Visual Imagery

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Art: A Guide to Motifs and Visual Imagery  (Read 1823 times)
David

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 11:14:41 pm »

Dear Tom,

Amazingly, I received 3rd edition Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs by CAS Williams yesterday... the seller must live closeby. I am on Deer right now and wanted to let you know what I think.

The sections written by Williams with 0 or 1 "authority" referenced is very nice, he really knows the materials in these sections, I learned a few things that I did not even know about or heard before. I read these carefully. There are still inconsistencies with what I know, but very minor and most likely due to translating Chinese word/concepts. The only serious ones, is when he uses western logic to explain Chinese rituals.

The sections where he sourced from 2 or more authorities are usually not good. Either he is not interested and just included some other's saying for completeness or he does not feel comfortable to correct them. I think this is where most of the errors, mistakes that other readers noticed came from. I had started to skim or skip these sections.

My impression of him from his sections that I read so far is that he is very strong in Scholarly Chinese traditions, Confucian rituals, imperial, antiques (bronze, porcelain etc...), animals, Taoist and oddly... clothing.

It's like 2 books in one. A very good book of his strong areas, and a book of collection of information/misinformation from other sources. They should take those out and make an abridged version of his strong areas (minus the "modern" 1900-30s information), it is a shame that some really good information is buried in the chaff.

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: