About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 10:06:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Chinese Art: A Guide to Motifs and Visual Imagery

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Art: A Guide to Motifs and Visual Imagery  (Read 1840 times)
David

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 02:33:18 am »

Dear Tom,

Grin exactly the same thought that occurred to me when you mentioned that you did not feel what the reviewers mentioned. And made me curious. And like you mentioned, I think it can be a good cross reference even if I don't like his opinions.

As I am new to this area of study and there is a lot of authors, I decided to check the backgrounds of the authors as an additional criteria to decide if I should purchase their book or catalogs. It also gives me a feel for which author to rely on when there is conflicting information. Also the last thing I need is to absorb "misinformation".

And if an author was in China during 1910-1950 in northern/coastal china then I would wonder how much scholarly research he can really be doing. While one living there during 1950-1980, I will wonder if he is researching or printing what the communist party wants (one of the thing they wanted was to wipe out the religion/beliefs from the past and start over).

But if one like Bushell in the pre 1900, or someone like Cammann, or strong modern day researcher like Gary Dickinson or Welch, or a researcher from a respectable museum writing a catalog for within their specialty then I put a lot of weight in what they share.

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: