About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:13:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Old Glass Snuff Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Glass Snuff Bottles  (Read 800 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: December 25, 2014, 09:43:50 pm »

Thought I would share a bottle that was received last week while I took the time to catalog and do research on such bottles.   This one you have to take a close look at or have it in your hand to really appreciate.

Glass Imitating Cinnabar Snuff Bottle-
Circular form with mottled cinnamon opaque glass sandwiched in layers of clear glass.   The bottle is hand blown clear glass suffused with cinnamon glass frit, reheated and blown to form the initial bottle shape.   The bottle was then sandwiched in an outer coat of clear glass providing a contrast in red color and a 3D effected in the opaque red glass when viewed.  The interior of the bottle has a very fine net of crizzling.

Raised oval foot rim.  Base of bottle ground to follow outer contour shape of the bottle with a base that slightly peaks to the center of the foot.  Green carved dragon glass stopper with black nylon collar.  Height 6.0 cm (2 3/8 inches) by 5.4 cm wide. 

Period: reported to be c.1750-1800

Condition:  Very fine, minor abrasion scuffs. 

Provenance: Quinn’s Auction Galleries (2014) from the Wald Collection

Similar Reference Bottle: Stevens, The Collectors Book of Chinese Snuff Bottles, in a blue form, Plate 176.

Enjoy, Charll

* Cinnabar_Quinns_Wald_1.jpg (64.5 KB, 643x768 - viewed 50 times.)

* Cinnabar_Quinns_Wald_2.jpg (41.75 KB, 426x768 - viewed 32 times.)

* Cinnabar_Quinns_Wald_3.jpg (67.12 KB, 644x768 - viewed 30 times.)

* Cinnabar_Quinns_Wald_4.jpg (43.02 KB, 465x768 - viewed 25 times.)

* Cinnabar_Quinns_Wald_5.jpg (35.08 KB, 650x438 - viewed 41 times.)

* Cinnabar_Quinns_Wald_6.jpg (84.32 KB, 1024x794 - viewed 39 times.)

* Natural Cinnabar-59689.jpg (120.49 KB, 745x576 - viewed 30 times.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:53:17 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 10:14:03 pm »

Very nice bottle..a very good christmas present for yourself...congrats

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:49:49 pm »

Very interesting Charll... Very first time I have seen a glass imitating cinnabar ..

Very nice, and congratulations !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 11:01:15 pm »

Very interesting Charll... Very first time I have seen a glass imitating cinnabar ..

The cinnabar reference was from the auction house and/or previous owner.  I'm still trying to figure out whether it could be a cinnabar imitation or not.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:02 pm »

For me, the clear glass areas could represent what could be normally carved out areas on most real nice cinnabar bottles..  That may be a bit to abstract a comparison, but that is what it looks like to me.. Then of course the actual color sure could be that of cinnabar..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
David

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 06:06:13 pm »

Hello Charll,

Cinnabar is poisonous and unlike realgar, I don't recall there is any "mystical" or "evil warding" property associated with Cinnabar. (one use is "realgar" or it's powder form -yellow parts-, mixed with rice wine. Very useful to spray around a camp ground to ward off snakes or bugs).

So, I can't quite visualize why anyone wants a bottle to mimic cinnabar.

But, I think once you fill it with snuff, which are lighter in color. It might look like darker garnet or unprocessed ruby in matrix, it reminds me of some small balls that I saw before. So, perhaps, that was what it was originally trying to mimic?

Best Regards,
David
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:09:12 pm by David » Report Spam   Logged

David

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:55:46 am »

Dear Charll,
    A very interesting bottle, and very appealing. Congratulations.
Thank you for posting it.

Dear David,
    Very interesting comments. I did not realgar had such a use.
Best to all,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

David

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 02:02:56 pm »

Dear Joey,

It is a very useful compound for both spiritual and physical uses -per the older people-. I only seen it used next to me -stinks!- to keep the snakes/bugs away when we go to the wilds in Taiwan's mountain. And I recall we have realgar mixed with lucky/safe herbs or grass, put in a bag and hung over the main entry, during some days -Chinese 5th day of 5th month, and Chinese 7th month-to help the "door demi-gods" keep the evil away.

Is that foot rim, the kind that they called a coiled add on used during the earlier part of glass bottle timeframe?

Kindly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 04:59:48 pm »

Is that foot rim, the kind that they called a coiled add on used during the earlier part of glass bottle timeframe?

David, that is a good question, but no.  If you look at bottom of the bottle you'll notice that the red glass has been ground following the initial forming of the bottle shape, meaning there was no foot.  After being formed, cooled, ground and polished to shape, the bottle was dipped in molten clear glass and excess slag glass was left around the bottom.  The bottle was once again ground to its final shape with a carved foot rim as if it were stone, and then polished to the finished form.

The interior is as it was when blown with no finish work, the only finish work and grinding to the interior is the boring of the bottle's throat at the neck.  To create such a bottle is a multifaceted process and is quite fascinating when you think about it.

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »

Hello Charll,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the difference, I think I see the difference now, at the interface between bottom of the body and the ring. And the lack of a "line" in the ring where the coil of glass comes together. Were they trying to mimic the old style of a coiled ring base?

Yes, I find glass, hard stone and porcelain as the most interesting areas that I am learning about.

Are sandwiched glass bottles (like yours) and the multicolor swirled (like Realgar or some wild colors) or stirred flakes always blown? Or do they have versions that are solid block and then carved?

I am also curious of the narrow range of 1750-1800 dating (It seems pretty tight compared to most others). Is their elimination process based on after the two Jesuit glass maker joined the court and taught European glass blowing and decoration for a beginning point?

How do they justify the end point in the range? Do they believe it is Imperial made during Qian Long?

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 11:34:21 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to explain the difference, I think I see the difference now, at the interface between bottom of the body and the ring. And the lack of a "line" in the ring where the coil of glass comes together. Were they trying to mimic the old style of a coiled ring base?

David, the base of this bottle was fashioned in the same manner as if it were a stone bottle, meaning it was carved.  I do not believe anything in particular is being mimicked. 

Are sandwiched glass bottles (like yours) and the multicolor swirled (like Realgar or some wild colors) or stirred flakes always blown? Or do they have versions that are solid block and then carved?

Yes, most are blown freehand or into a mold. From what I seen older solid color bottles, faceted glass, aventurine glass, etc., are often carved from cakes of solid glass.

I am also curious of the narrow range of 1750-1800 dating (It seems pretty tight compared to most others). Is their elimination process based on after the two Jesuit glass maker joined the court and taught European glass blowing and decoration for a beginning point?

The given period was likely provided by the previous owner.  The source of the attributed dating is unknown, the bottle does come from a well established collection and knowledgeable collector.  I can not address the second half of the question, for I'm more knowledge on process then I am the history.   

How do they justify the end point in the range? Do they believe it is Imperial made during Qian Long?

The attributed period is likely based on how the bottle was made (the process), the style, and its form.  There is no mention as to whether it is 'Imperial'.  I suppose it could be, or it could have been made for the literati or merchant class.   

Regards, Charll
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:35:59 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:08:45 am »

Hello Charll,

Thank you for taking the time and giving me the answers.

Warm Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 03:37:06 am »

Charll,

thank you for sharing this bottle and the accompanying explanation.

The 3-D effect of the cinnamon glass flakes within the clear glass is beautiful.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 10:52:55 am »

Lovely Bottle Charll.  I wish you many wonderful finds in the coming year.  Thanks for all the wisdom and beautiful bottles you have shared with us this year.  Thank you for your willingness to share of your knowledge. I might add that I am thankful for everyone who has contributed to the Forum this year.  It has been a wealth of knowledge to me and I am sure to others. I have learned a great deal by reading these wonderful posts.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »

Lovely Bottle Charll.  I wish you many wonderful finds in the coming year.  Thanks for all the wisdom and beautiful bottles you have shared with us this year.  Thank you for your willingness to share of your knowledge. I might add that I am thankful for everyone who has contributed to the Forum this year.  It has been a wealth of knowledge to me and I am sure to others. I have learned a great deal by reading these wonderful posts.

I would like to say thank you as well Charll... Your bottles are always exceptional, and your attention to detail when describing is really excellent..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »

Your bottles are always exceptional, and your attention to detail when describing is really excellent..

George, just trying to keep up with Tom's lead in regard to the descriptions provided on his fine bottles!!!!!  Grin    Charll
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:52:32 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 09:57:56 am »

Dear Charll,
   I definitely agree with the sentiments expressed by all the others, and especially by Inn Bok.
Best,
 Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Charll,

thank you for sharing this bottle and the accompanying explanation.

The 3-D effect of the cinnamon glass flakes within the clear glass is beautiful.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: