About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:26:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

new bottles?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new bottles?  (Read 1088 times)
deelsb26

« on: December 22, 2014, 08:22:11 am »

What I would like to know, did anyone find any exciting bottles at the recent Snuff Bottle Conventions, or at any of the schools for student bottles this fall? If so, want to share stories or photos?
Thanks, Danna

ps I notice even student IPB's bottles are rising in price, if you can find any good ones here in the states.
Report Spam   Logged

Danna

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:45:50 am »

Dear Danna,
      Try David Osborne's Snuff Bottle Club. He offers reasonably priced bottles. He's written up in the Forum. Peter, Charll, Rick, and I have all bought from him, and I would say we could all recommend him.
Best,
joey

What I would like to know, did anyone find any exciting bottles at the recent Snuff Bottle Conventions, or at any of the schools for student bottles this fall? If so, want to share stories or photos?
Thanks, Danna

ps I notice even student IPB's bottles are rising in price, if you can find any good ones here in the states.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »

Hi Danna

I visited both recent conventions, in Hong Kong and Singapore, saw some really nice bottles I would have liked to have but all were outside my price range.
I agree with Joey, David Osborne regularly offers good bottles at very reasonable prices and is the best regular source I've used.

EXCEPT for last week, when I visited my Shenzhen Bottle Shop and the lady there offered me this fish bottle for just RMB200 (US$30). A small circular bottle just 2.5 cm diameter and 6 cm tall, no signature, I assume a student bottle but a quality which surprised me.
It's circular, so I've photographed four sides with two close-ups

With no signature I will never know if the artist becomes famous, anyway if they do their prices will be beyond me.
But it seems to me that artists produce their best work before they become famous.

Geoff
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:45:42 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:43:40 pm »

Pretty painting Geoff.. Congratulations on a nice little addition !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:12:42 pm »

Geoff,

I have a couple of new IPBs with a carp/koi theme and this one is as good, if not better, than the one's I have.  For the stated price I too would have picked it up in a heart beat.  Your not a IPB collector unless you have at least one, two, or a few bottles with such a theme.  Grin  Very nice bottle indeed.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »

I agree...

Very nice painting.  Whoever did it has talent.  It is getting hard to find decent bottles at decent prices these days (anywhere, including ebay), especially the landscape ones.   

David Osborne offers a lot of bottles but unfortunately landscapes (my weak spot) are few and far in between.  The results of the auctions seem erratic.. but I agree it is a good place to bargain shop. 

Danna

Welcome back! 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:05:14 am by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:51:10 pm »

Danna knows about David Osborne as she is the collector who told me about this source over a year ago.  I have also enjoyed finding a few treasures from David Osborne. Very nice bottle Geoff.  Thanks for sharing it with us.
Report Spam   Logged

deelsb26

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

yes I have bid/bought from david a number of times.. I just wondered if any of you found something good for your own collections  Grin
Danna

See that is what I'm talking about...great little bottle Geoff, VERY nicely painted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:51:26 pm by deelsb26 » Report Spam   Logged

Danna
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 01:52:50 am »

Thanks all these comments about my student fish bottle.

With regard to Charll's comment, I have two fish bottles - this student bottle and another small bottle I showed earlier, painted by Ye Zhongsan in 1911, about 100 years before. Two ends of a spectrum in more ways than one.

Here is the Ye Zhongsan, photos from my new Sony HX400V camera

I bought this bottle nearly 20 years ago at a Sotheby's auction in Hong Kong when bottles were cheaper and I was working and richer, another spectrum away.

Taking photos helps you focus on the bottle detail - I've only just noticed the tiny pipefish in the bottom right-hand corner of the B side.
I now have the student and the Ye Zhongsan bottle side-by-side on my display - a good comparison.

Merry Christmas to all
Geoff
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:19:00 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 03:08:12 am »

Geoff

A very nicely executed Ye the elder bottle! Such detail. ..
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 07:40:13 am »

Beautiful bottle and great detail,with your new camera.  It is very interesting to see the two bottles student and beautiful old master n the same thread.
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 11:29:08 am »

Geoff,

A spectacular Ye Zhongsan bottle and great clear,detailed, shots with the new camera.  I've been looking to purchase a new camera and your Sony looks like it's one to consider.  Thanks for sharing the bottle and camera model. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »

Yes Charll, the Sony HX400V is an excellent camera for many uses, not just very close-ups.

It takes good family photos and videos, it can magnify up to 50x optically so is also good for long range work such as birds and animals in the field. It's easy to carry and not too expensive - only US$300 in Hong Kong but electrical/optical goods are generally cheaper here.

The photographic quality comes from a Zeiss lens which Sony have incorporated into their camera.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 10:39:15 am »

In Hong Kong, at the convention, I bought 2 bottles by Ye Xiaofeng, one of  the sons of Ye Zhongsan the elder. Both are signed Ye Xiaofeng, and are 'later' (1935 and 1960). They are from Clare Chu (Asian Art Studio), and I bought them on the Friday, when I showed Curt Lam around the Dealers' Room, before a superb lunch at the Peninsula Hotel, courtesy  of  Lamlam (Thanks again CL!).
   In Bangkok, I bought 24K Baht chains (traditional style solid gold chains), thanks to Tom and his wife's help (Thank you both again).
   And in Singapore, with the help of my very good friend John Ang, I found a mid-late 19th C. treasure in solid silver and solid gold: a superb repousse 'pubic shield' (!), made to protect the modesty of a one year old or two year old noble's son in Acheh. These pubic shields, usually 'only' in solid repousse silver,
were made for the baby sons and daughters of wealthy Moslems in SE Asia 100-200 years ago, and strung on a thick silk cord around the waist of the otherwise nude baby.  I will get it photographed and ask George to post it for me.
   In 1999, I'd bought about a dozen of these in silver, for prices of US$5-20 each, and gave them as gifts. I gave my late mom one (I have it back now), and she got a kick out of it's history and prior use.
I will get this one photographed too, to show.

In a Bonham's SFO Auction, 17.Dec. (10 days ago), Clare Chu bid for me on a lot of 8 pieces of pottery, from 11th-16th C. (lot 9117). 3 of the 8 are 15th/16th C. Sawankhalok covered boxes (the ones with the finials, in the illustration), and I already had 7 assorted shapes and designs, mainly purchased in Singapore and Bangkok in the years 1978, 1981, and 1985, when I visited SE Asia. At the time, they were very cheap (ħUS$40-70 each). I saw some in Bangkok (at the antique shop in my hotel, the Sukhothai; granted not the 'cheapest' location to buy), and in Singapore (Tanglin Rd. Antiques Shopping Centre), and they were US$600 - 900+ each. 
   I got the lot of 8 pieces for US$770, including shipping (the 3 Thai pieces to Ireland, to join my existing collection; the others to Israel).
   Not snuff bottles, but great stuff.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR to All, and Much Success and Good Health to All in 2015!
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 11:12:35 am »

Beautiful fish bottle Geoff..  I would guess painted by Ye Zhongsan the Elder..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 11:42:17 am »

Dear Geoff,
   BOTH fish bottles are beautiful! I can't believe how cheap the modern one was! And who cares about the artist?!  The artistry of this bottle is indisputable.
   The only  modern bottle of this subject I like better, is Peter's. I think it is by Nie Lei.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 06:04:32 am »

Thanks Joey, George and others

I have to admit, the Ye Zhongsan has a quality I had not previously recognised. The fish skin has a silvery sheen which is only visible in detail under a powerful lens (the camera cannot pick it up) but which, when seen from a distance, mirrors the sheen on a real fish. It is obviously intentionally painted, possibly by just drifting a white-coloured brush (or bamboo stick) above the inner surface of the bottle and allowing the roughened surface to pick up tiny spots of white. This is so life-like it's unreal - amazing for a bottle painted over 100 years ago.

Best wishes and good hunting in 2015 to all

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: