About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 01:49:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Fake Photo Inside Painted Chinese Snuff Bottles

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Photo Inside Painted Chinese Snuff Bottles  (Read 25597 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:06 pm »

I could not wait Peter as wanted to read this.. It is a bit difficult when it's cut off due to the large pics. That is one thing to think about when posting pics..

So this forwarded from Peter..

Hi  All

DISSECTION  PART  1  : 26.4.2011   RESULTS AND  PICTURES

Here  are  the pics  I took this morning . They  are self- explanatory   but   here's a  few comments

1. The  blister I managed  to raise  in the  midddle  of the  girl's  midriff  is an instant  give  away

2. In  one  shot there's a   long  vertical   scratch  I made  near the   girl's  left   arm  with horizontal   scratches  leading off  in both  directions.  It  seemed to me, although  I could not  swear, that the     plastic   film was  thicker    when scratching towards the   girl  than  in the  other  direction  towards the  back of the  bottle  . If my  observation was correct, it would  point to the   picture of the   girl having been  applied  first and then  the  whole  bottle  inside  was   coated  with the  yellowish    plastic  film to seal  the   picture   and make a uniform  inside  surface  to disguise the  edges  of the     film with the  picture  on it  ( very  clever)

I wonder how the   yellowish  plastic  film was applied.  A  liquid  process ?  Or a  spray ? In  ether  case the  neckof the bottle  was wiped    clean  so that  you can see the natural    clear  glass  there.

3. I  scratched   hard  above the   girl's head and   and    maganaged to  leave it  so that  there was a loose  flap of   the    film  hanging  by one  edge.   There's a  shot   inside the  bottle   through the  neck   where   you can just see the  flap

4. As soon as   you  scratch  off the   film    you  can  see the  natural   clear  color  of the  glass.

5. Hard to  say if the  manually painted  bamboo  leaves and   signature  were  painted  before  or  after the  yellowish   film was  applied inside the  whole bottle.  But I suspect   after the  film was applied  because  the manual work is the  hardest,  and  also    bottle  interior  seems  not to be   frosted ( see  6  below),  and  it's  hard to  make paint  adhere to  smooth  glass

6.  The   bottle  is  unusually thin  glass and very light. It's almost transparent , so that    you can  easily  see  the    back  from the  front and  vice  versa.   This  is  not  like    any other  real bottle  I have .  Real bottle walls   are  much  thicker, whether  made of   glass  or  rock crystal.  Also  real bottles  have a frosted  interior  to  make the paint  stick better ( Bill  has a   video  on Youtube which  shows  how  this  is  done )

7.  After all the  scratching there  were  tiny scraps  of     plastic   film at the  bottom of the bottle  which I shook out.

GEORGE : if I  send  the scraps to  you  do you know anyone  who could analyse the  material chemically ?

Cheers  Peter   aka  The  Dissectionist
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: