About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 06:55:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Fake Photo Inside Painted Chinese Snuff Bottles

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Photo Inside Painted Chinese Snuff Bottles  (Read 25599 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 25, 2011, 05:05:42 am »

Hi  (  yet  again  / hope  I am not  boring   you  all)

Here's  a  correspondence  with  Jill  ( Guo Jie)

P to  J :

I  recently  noticed that a bottle  I bought  2 years   ago from a   Bottle  shop  in Shanghai    seems  not  to  be a  real   inside  painting. It seems  to be   kind of   photograph  image .   But    someone  has painted  over  ( the girl's black  hair)  and  also the  leaves and    characters on  the back of the bottle. The bottle was  not  expensive  (  RMB300)  I  only bought  it because I liked the  girl's  smile.

Other collector  friends  have also  told  me  that  they  have seen this  kind of bottle. you   ever  seen this  kind of bottle?

J  to  P :

The bottle was printed first,then giving it color,because the portrait is difficult  painting for a lot of artists,so they use a special way like we print photo to make a profile,then making the color on it,Heng Shui's people use this way a long time ago.

P  to  J :

Thanks  Jill .But  I still have several  questions :

1.  How  does the  artist print the  photo  profile into the    inside of the bottle?   
2. The  pictures  I sent  you  show that  in  fact   the  complete  colored   photo  picture  was  printed  inside  the  bottle .

The  whole  picture of the  girl  is not  painted It  is a photographic  print.  The  only thing  the  artist  actually painted  was to   add some extra  black to the  hair and   color the   base    dark   color  ( also  paint the  bamboo  leaves  on the  back )

So how is  it possible to  print a  complete  colored   photo inside a bottle ?

J to P :

They are not just print black color into it,they first print the photo profile into the bottle,the profile only black color,then they add different colors what they want into the profile,so the bottle looks like they paint. Only portrait bottle they use this way,because most  artists cannot  paint portrait  bottles  anymore.  If you want Hu Xiaoran,Suo Jing and the other artists who  paint landscapes to paint portrait bottles,they Can Not do it.

Not  sure  how much  further  this  gets  us.   I  still  don't know  how the  printing  is done, and  I   suspect Jill  still  did not get my point that the whole   color  picture  is   printed, not just the black an white  outline.

Re  Pat's point  that  I was  conned  by   Ms Wang  in SH :  I   don't  think even she  realised  it was a print ! She  would not  knowingly have conned  me , and  certainly  I  didn't notice the subtle differences  until  yesterday , and the  bottle has been on my shelf  for  2  years.  ( Mind  you, being  only a  "gift"  quality  bottle I never bothered to   examine it  under the  magnifying  glass  before )

This   week I'm going to SH  so I will take the bottle and  show her  it's a print. Then  see what shes  says.  My guess is  that she will be  as  suprised as I was. 

But  maybe  she  also  can help me  find   out  who  " painted "  ( printed it )  ..........!

The  plot thickens !

Cheers  Peter  @ GZ

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:23:46 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: