About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 08:38:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Fake Photo Inside Painted Chinese Snuff Bottles

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Photo Inside Painted Chinese Snuff Bottles  (Read 25627 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 25, 2011, 12:52:45 am »

Hi Folks

This  morning  I  took   my  Photo- Enhanced  (  P-E) bottle  and  another   similar bottle  painted  by a  Hengshui   artist    Wang  Sijia  whom  Bill and  I know  personally :  a  senior  student of   Li Shouxun.  Check  out  Bill's website   www.snuffbottlecollector.com   for  numerous  examples  of  WSJ's   works, and the  bottle  I own  I  bought  from  Bill  (beautiful !) 

Superficially, both bottles  look    similar in quality   side by side.   The  WSJ bottle  is a copy  of a   Chinese oil painting,  while the  P-E bottle  is  obviously   also  a  copy  of  some    Chinese  painting . 

I  photographed  both bottles  in detail    at max  res / fine  quality    with my Nikon P1000 , thus  producing  3 -4  MB  pics. Then I  cropped   down and  if the    final  pic  was >  1.5M ( max  for   postings )   I compressed  . So  all pics  were  taken  under  the  same conditions. 

It's obvious  that  the   WSJ  pics   break down  under  hi- res to  individual  brush  strokes  .  Whereas the   P-E pics    become  more and more   fuzzy the   greater the   resolution , which  would    absolutely  indicate  that a  photo  had been  somehow pasted  inside the  bottle ( I   really  don't    know  how ! ) . It's   surely  impossible to create   that  fuzzy  out-of  focus  effect  by  inside  painting .

The  P-E  "artist"  has  touched  up the  girl's  hair a little  in balck , but  very   crudely.  Also the  base  of the  bottle  has been   manually darkened.  Finally, someone  has   added the  leaves,   and   bamboo  sprouts  +  signature  by hand   on the  back side .

I'm now  going  to post  the  two bottles  side by side  and close  up  this  posting  to make  sure  it  works  OK

Then  I  will post all the  WSJ  pics, and,   finally ,   all the  P-E  pics.

You can  judge for  yourself  and  draw  your own conclusions.

But  for me  it's  quite   clear that  George  was  100%  correct  to immediately   spot a  P-E  bottle  when  he  saw  it  and  mea  culpa   (  caveat  emptor !)  for having been   fooled  all this  time   

Thanks  George !    Cheesy

Cheers  Peter

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:21:50 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: